Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:07 AM
infectioussxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions?

ok i have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT, and i want to put a LCD in the front passenger side of the car and be able to hook up a PC to it

now first question: legalities of it... im not sure if its legal or not for there to be a LCD (or TV) in the front of the car (distractions and blah blah lol).... i live in Ohio if it matters

second: has anybody done this? (not just on a Neon but on any car....) where they put a LCD and a PC in the car?

third: how possible is this? to put a small PC (a shuttle if anybody wants to know) into a custom mount and hook up a LCD to it (either dashmount, or visor.... flip down wont work in the front of a neon, not enough space unfortunately)

i would like all help i can get on this, from any standpoint.... any suggestions as far as good LCD's (looking for either 1280x1024 or 1024x768) http://www.mobilevideozone.com/default.aspx has some good looking ones, but hoping to find some that arnt as expensive lol

Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: opinions?

Ok, I will try to answer these as best as possible....my answers will be in color...

ORIGINAL: infectioussxt

ok i have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT, and i want to put a LCD in the front passenger side of the car and be able to hook up a PC to it

now first question: legalities of it... im not sure if its legal or not for there to be a LCD (or TV) in the front of the car (distractions and blah blah lol).... i live in Ohio if it matters

You can NOT have an LCD or TV that faces you or is visible to the driver while the car is in motion. That is the law in virtually every state. You can have them in the dash or the glovebox where the passenger seat is however. Again, check with the state you live in.

second: has anybody done this? (not just on a Neon but on any car....) where they put a LCD and a PC in the car?

Yes, several people have done this. There are different ways to do it and the designs all vary according to preference. This is CarputerGeek's ride, he's a recent new member also. This is just one example. CarputerGeek's Car

third: how possible is this? to put a small PC (a shuttle if anybody wants to know) into a custom mount and hook up a LCD to it (either dashmount, or visor.... flip down wont work in the front of a neon, not enough space unfortunately)

It's not hard to do, it's just time consuming and a little pricey. Most of the stuff can be done by the average person, but if you want it to look good you have to take the time and put in the effort. You are also going to have to spend some money.

i would like all help i can get on this, from any standpoint.... any suggestions as far as good LCD's (looking for either 1280x1024 or 1024x768) http://www.mobilevideozone.com/default.aspx has some good looking ones, but hoping to find some that arnt as expensive lol

As far as LCD's go, the smaller sizes are probably better for what you have in mind. With computers, screen size can be dictated by more then the actual monitor size.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
KlerricK
Professional

As for the computer, you can use a Mac Mini, unless you are addicted to Windows. It is illegal to view the screen while driving, but you can have one there. Where exactly did you want to put the screen? The screens you can get for a Mac Mini can be touch screen, so I would check them out...

Old 11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
infectioussxt

thx, devil thx for the info...

now the link you sent me, that car has the LCD where the drive could see it while driving... so was that illegal? or is it ok? also GPS systems have screens facing the driver so whats special about those? (if you know that is)

as far as the display goes, the system im putting in is a top of the line gaming rig that is in its own case, and removeable for computer parties....

altho im debating about a touchscreen or not (higher resolution ones are harder to find with touchscreens), but then again this is only for a car thus not intense gaming or useage... just maybe some games (to pass the time) and music and hoping to get a GPS system soon also

thanks for the help and if you have any suggestions plz let me know lol

Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
infectioussxt

ive done some looking and i think i found out what im gonna use for this

http://customcarputers.com/xenarc_700idt.htm <monitor
http://customcarputers.com/xenarc_mpsc8.htm <case

put a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz or so with HT, 1 gig of mem, geforce 6800 gt, 120 gb hd, dvd rom (maybe burner), small backlit usb keyboard, and a usb mouse

that'll work perfectly i do believe

any thoughts on it?

Old 12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

you can always put a laptop in there fuzz style for cheap, hey someone had to say it.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:30 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: highline95jl

you can always put a laptop in there fuzz style for cheap, hey someone had to say it.

Believe it or not, doing laptops in a car is actually ALOT better then trying to run a desktop. Laptops are designed to run on less wattage then a desktop, not to mention they are also designed to work in higher temperatures due to their design.

Laptops will support rca/headphone connections....you can disconnect it easily, and you dont need an additional monitor installed. It also lets you keep the car looking "sleeper" and you can fold the lid closed on the laptop and still enjoy your music. I understand you may already have the desktop and not want to spend the money on a laptop. I wouldnt blame you either. I'm just giving you an opinion. Either way man, sounds like you got a really good idea of what you're looking for, and either way, you could do it easily.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
CarputerGeek

My opinion:

ORIGINAL: infectioussxt

Screens are legal for navigation, and audio controls: just don't watch movies, tv, etc. Use common sense, if you get pulled over, put it in Navi mode. If you want to use a dvd drive, hide it.

I've done many, so I started a business: Custom Carputers

I'd recommend putting the pc under a seat. The monitor must be VGA capable. I don't know of any visor mounted VGA's.

Stick with the Xenarc monitors, I've used others...mostly crap. I don't bother selling others, because of quality.

I recently added a forum to my site, only a couple of guys there so far on there. I hope that some of you guys would join it

Quick Reply: opinions?