Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

1999 Dodge Neon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Drunkship
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Neon.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and come seeking your advice and help in the audio department. I recently purchased a 1999 Dodge Neon, and I want to replace the whole audio system. By that I mean the head unit, speakers, sub woofers, amplifiers- the works.

However, I've ran into a problem. I don't know what size speakers to get! I've used Crutchfield as well as eBay, and I'm fairly certain the rear deck takes 6x9" speakers. The front door speakers is where I'm concerned. Crutchfield says 6-3/4" speakers are the best choice, but eBay reccomends 6-1/2" speakers.

I was wondering if any of you Neon owners could tell me what size speakers best fits the front doors of your cars, it would be most appreciated!

By the way, I'm 17 years old. Although I do have a job, paying for various bills leaves me with little money to save up. I'm not going for an amazing sound system, just an okay one. The best bang for my buck as you will. I just need the correct speaker sizes so I can order them off eBay and save myself a little money.

Thanks for you time,
- Drunkship

Old 02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
shiltz
Captain
Default RE: 1999 Dodge Neon.

on my 98 neon it was 6x9 rear deck, 6 3/4 doors, it should be the same for the 99, though there is one issue, there are two different 6 3/4 mounting types, most speakers will have a completely round mounting ring with a 4 hole mounting pattern and sometimes more holes for other patterns, my 98 neon required the other type, a 3 hole pattern that had a smaller mounting ring with 3 tabs sticking out to mount it and the other type wouldn't fit without cuting the tabs on the bracket on the car that are right next to the mounting tabs, basicaly the speaker tabs fell between those, on the full round one it would sit up on those tabs instead of resting down where it's suposed to.

here's a link with pictures so you can see what i'm talking about, the first one is a standard round ring.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcqODmN...00&I=20605DS60

this second one is a 3 tab style that my neon needed.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcqODmN...2100&I=065SX65

Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Drunkship
Rookie

Hmm, well I plan on getting a Kenwood KFC-P705ie component speakers for the front doors. It looks to me as if they have both 4 tab and 3 tab styles.

Eh, the mechanic just called and said the head gasket was messed up, looks like I won'tbe having the Neon for much longer anyways...

Old 02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
shiltz
Captain

Well those look like they likely have the right hole pattern, but they won't seat properly, on the three tab style on the one I had there was raised plastic tabs directly to each side of all three tabs, the speaker tabs would fall between those, on that one you posted the mounting ring would hit those tabs before seating down properly on the hole, you would have to remove those tabs on the car to put those ones in, if I remember correctly the part in the car is just a plastic piece that mounts to the steel door so it would be easy to remove the tabs with a file or dremel, I had used 5 1/4 speakers on mine and made an adaptor plate so I didn't really have an issue with mine.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Drunkship
Rookie

Oh, so you think the plastic adapters on the car will be fairly easy to remove? The only way my dad will let me order all these off the internet is if I use one website, so I'm going with onlinecarstereo.com. I'm trying to get some nice 6-3/4" component speakers for the front doors, which there aren't a lot of. I have a question though, do you think component speakers are worth it?

What's an adapter plate (I'm totally new to the audio world)? Could I buy one or do I have to make one like you did?

Also, I notice you're from Burlington, MA, I'm from Springfield.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:46 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

The Neon is using 6X9's in the rear and 6 3/4th in the front doors.

6 1/2 Will fit just fine in there too howver.

The plastic adapters in the car are extreamly easy to remove, but I do not forsee a reason for you to do that. You shouldnt need an adapter plate, but you can buy one cheap off ebay. Your gonna want to order some dynomat. The trunk lid of the Neon is not bass freindly, neither is the rear speaker deck, it will rattle more than a racoon caught in a trash can. Component systems are definantly worth it, but all depending on what you want. Do you want good solid hits when the drum gets beat or do you just want a massive thud.
If you want a thud dont waste the money on the components, just buy a sub and an amp, and call it good. If you want clearity and solid feeling, go for component.

Let me offer you an easier rout though. You might find this easier in the future too. Buy a nice set of 6 by 9s and 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 th's, buy a low wattage amp for each pair of speakers say around 100 watts should be good. Youll have all the bass in the world without the mass loss of cash. I think you might actually like that better. Anyway have fun and good luck. To make it a little cheaper put it all in yourself. www.the12volt.com has great educational info on this type of thing.

BTW I have Kenwood speakers and they are kick *** with an amp.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

If your gona reccomend an amp for the speakers why go for 2 2 channel amps. If you want to run your speakers off an amp get a four channel not an amp for each set.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
shiltz
Captain

I never found an adaptor plate with the 3 tab style that's why I made mine.

Component speakers are definately worth it imo, much better sound quality, I had cambridge soundworks 5 1/4 component speakers in my neon and they sounded great, now have Infinty 6 1/2 component speakers in my magnum.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Drunkship
Rookie

My friend can easily put in the head unit, speakers, amp, etc into my car but my dad is a little worried he'll mess something up.

So you think it'll be realy simple to remove the tabs on the doors then?

Also, I was thinking about just getting a 2-Channel amplifier and hooking the component speakers up to the built in amplifier on the head unit, or atleast that's what someone on another forum to me to do. Is this a good idea or a dumb one?

Today I planned on going to the audio store down the street to buy some things and have them install them but I really hate paying for over priced things as well as an installation fee when i could get them for cheaper and get them installed for free by my friend...

Old 02-22-2006, 03:34 PM
shiltz
Captain

Yeah, it should be simple to remove those tabs, just file or a dremel them off, I only didn't because I knew I wanted the cambridge soundworks speakers and they only made them in 5 1/4 so since I had to make an adaptor plate anyways I just made the plate to fit inbetween the tabs.

2 Channel to two subs you mean and the component speakers to the headunit's amp? yeah, if you have a good headunit that can be fine, but it definatly does vary from headunit to headunit, some have horible built in amps, others have pretty decent ones, that's actualy how I have mine setup currently, component speakers to the headunit's amp and subs to a seperate amp, for the subs though you would be better off getting a 2ohm stable mono sub amp and wire the two 4ohm subs in parallel to the amp.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Neon.