Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Five to seven models to be cut

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Five to seven models to be cut

What would you cut if you were the Three Headed Dog that Guards Hell?

This is what i would cut. I know there is more than 7 but hey work in progress.

Chrysler.

Cut.
1.Crossfire (peace out)
2. Seabring Sedan (not so much a cut as a redesign and rear wheel drive or AWD standard.)
3. Seabring Convertable. (need i say more)
4. Sebring Coupe (again a redesign and a name change, and while you're at it make this new car a convertable as well.)
5. Pacifica (Dude really)
6. PT Cruiser. (I know it sells alright, but time for something new ya?)
7. And the Aspen.

Chrysler

Add.
1. Barracuda (No more plymouth so make it a chrysler. Give it upscale interior, and a slightly different exterior and there ya go.)
2. Nassua (that weird boat tail thing at last years auto show in motwon. Except make it a sedan, an upscale Big Sedan.)
3. A crossover not based on the JC9
4. PT replacement. (only not ugly and just for Women)

Dodge.

Cut.
1.Charger (V6's only calm down! Make it a 4 door coupe, think the charger concept with a different front end.)
2. Magnum (shut up! Take this and make it a Crossover would you like a HEMI powered Crossover? Yes!)
3. Dakota (sorry)
4. Durango (sorry again)
5. Avenger (redo)

Add.

1. a. Midsize truck replacement for the Dakota, offer in two versions a street and a Trail version, the street version would carry a SRT Badge possibly, RWD, HEMI, 6spd Dual Clutch Tranny. Edgy styling, in your face big dodge Crosshair grill. You know the drill. Call it the sidewinder for the street version.
1. b. The Trail version would be a "Normal" Midsize truck. Lets give it one V6 with MDS, a deisel V8, a HEMI, 4WD standard, with low range center diff all that good off road stuff. lets give it a six speed manual with the option of a six speed auto.

2.a Demon R/T 2.4L world engine, tuned to give 190 hp in the NA version, with stiffer suspension, crisper steering and some brushed aluminium in the interior.
2b. Demon SXT 2.4L world engine, base with 175 HP with a less sporty suspension, steering ect. ect. standard interior, though hopefully not a standard to date dodge interior.
2c. Demon SRT-4 Here ya go. 2.4L Turbo World Engine putting down 300 HP to the rear wheels. Even more responsive handling than the R/T, and even better interior. Carbon Fiber accents in the interior. Carbon Fiber Hood and Deck lid. These are not that expensive to make, stop making excuses as to why its not in more cars already.

3. SUV Replacement. Not a full size, A hybrid, and lets face it no one takes these things off road anyways.

Jeep.
Cut.

1. all your cute utes and the commander.

Add.
Nothing, but some diesel engines and make the liberty the Cherokee and make it look better.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Five to seven models to be cut

LOL! You know exactly what Cereberus stands for.

Some things I agree with and others I don't.

The Crossfire needs to go, it isn't selling worth anything and was never done properly to begin with. The Sebring should receive a huge redesign, in fact I agree with repositioning it. I say try to aim for the CTS and match it in both luxury and performance and convertible and coupe versions should all follow this strategy. The Pacifica I think should be tried under a different approach. Aim for the SRX and exceed it. The PT Crusier does need an update. Try to offer a classic look just updated the powertrain and possibly slip in a V6. The Aspen I think should be either repositioned (match or exceed the Escalade) with a production cut or completely cut. Either way lose that name, not something you want to associate yourself with (a failure and not the best built car in your history).

The Cuda should return, but I would bring back Plymouth with it along with a long line of vehicles. I think they need a cheaper version as opposed to a luxurious version. I would wait until next generation for the Nassau and make it a sedan as well.

Making the Charger like the 1999 concept sounds excellent, but they have to keep the V8s. Just add technology to the V8s (VVT & GDI) to help the fuel economy as well as a better transmission (dual-clutch & manuals). They need to keep a V6 for those who want them otherwise the Japanese or Pontiac will get them, just offer a competitive one. Remember the old Chargers had slant-sixs in them for a reason. Do whatever you want with the Magnum, it doesn't really matter to me. The Dakota needs to be repositioned with a V6 that is competitive with Toyota's and Nissan's offerings and feature an SRT as well as some more competitive transmissions. The Durango and the Dakota both need totry to reach the attractiveness leveltthat they had with the 97-03 versions and both feature a diesel. I disagree about the hybrid part. They have safety issues and aren't a guaranteed ticket to success at least in this segment. The Avenger is doing okay, they just need to improve the interior a little and provide a more competitive powertrain.

The Demon idea sounds pretty good overall. I would have the Demon come standard with GDI for the base level, a lower boost turbo for the R/T, and the full turbo for the SRT-4. I would add a compact car for dodge as well positioning it against the Mazda 3's appearance with a fuel economy that will rival the Civic and performance models that will rival the Evo.

I agree with cutting the Compass and Patriot. I would make aJeep that was RWD/4WD/Off-road capable that was smaller than the Wrangler or Liberty and offer either I4 or V6s and call that the Cherokee. I would offer diesels in all models, replace the current line of transmissions used, and get rid of the Commander.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Too many cuts here. First the sebring cont is still the best selling vert in the country. Give it a face lift. The sedan.... well I can tell you it is getting a face lift for 09. The aspen is gone, as is the commander. Funny thing about the commander is that it outsold the grand cherokee. My thought would be to kill the gc then. Also the nitro is a goner, as is the compass. Who gave that turd the green light? Did we hire the guy that green lighted the aztek? So here is my list to get the ax.

1. Nitro, its a liberty, so just go buy a liberty.
2. Aspen. Hey for about 8k more you get a chromed durango.
3. Pacifica, its a useless minivan.
4. Commander, its to bad this has been the best jeep I've ever owned. GC is too small.
5. PT. But it will get replaced with the "chrylser" journey.
6. Compass, need I say more?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

You have to remeber Shapman that there is too much product overlap at Chrysler. My cut ideas and additions mostly fix these problems. I have another cut to add.

Chrysler. Town and Country. Now when i say cut, i mean make it a crossover. And you could base it off of the Magnum Crossover that i suggested for Dodge. Let me discribe this Crossover.

Chrysler Town and Country. LY based Crossover. SE Model would have 18inch brushed aluminum wheels. A brushed aluminum in the inside as well. Seating for Five in the Chrysler with heated front and rear seats as an option on the SE version. The engine choices would be a HO V6, a Diesel V8, and the HEMI. Traction control standard, AWD optional on the SE model. A six speed Dual clutch as an option and a Five speed auto as the standard. Back up Camera, ABS, Electronic brake assist. Leather standard.

Chrysler Town and Country LY based Crossover Touring Model. Same as above with the added options. Touring Suspension nicer seats for the longer trips. HID headlamps. Panoramic Moon Roof thing. DVD navi, all those good things, blu tooth and what have you.

Chrysler Town and Country LY based Crossover GT, This model would come with different engine choices. Diesel V8, The New Hemi 5.7 replacement. 6.1L Hemi as the top engine choice. It does not need over 420 HP. AWD still optional, (lets not force the fun out of the vehicles.) Add all the things the Touring and the SE get but add Real wood Trim in the interior. Great seats, Navigation standard, a 1 year free subscription to Serious Sat Radio Mygig with added features like a bigger Hard drive (he he) the Six speed dual Clutch as a standard transmission, offer the Hybrid transmission as an option, and take a page from Mc Benz and offer a Seven speed Dual Clutch as the Creme de la Creme Tranny. 20 inch Polished Chrome wheels with either all season tires or your choice of High Performance Summer tires, or High Performance All season tires. This would be a massive blow to the upscale Crossover segment, Acura, Audi, BMW, M Benz, wouldn't know what hit them.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

Too many cuts here. First the sebring cont is still the best selling vert in the country. Give it a face lift. The sedan.... well I can tell you it is getting a face lift for 09. The aspen is gone, as is the commander. Funny thing about the commander is that it outsold the grand cherokee. My thought would be to kill the gc then. Also the nitro is a goner, as is the compass. Who gave that turd the green light? Did we hire the guy that green lighted the aztek? So here is my list to get the ax.

1. Nitro, its a liberty, so just go buy a liberty.
2. Aspen. Hey for about 8k more you get a chromed durango.
3. Pacifica, its a useless minivan.
4. Commander, its to bad this has been the best jeep I've ever owned. GC is too small.
5. PT. But it will get replaced with the "chrylser" journey.
6. Compass, need I say more?
I like the nitro more so than the liberty, mainly because it has one thing the jeep doesn't a 4.0L engine. that thing makes a world of difference.

I dont think the PT will get replaced by a journy clone...its bigger. The PT is based on a neon, the Journey is based on the avenger.

I have heard that they might make a long wheel base GC to replace the commander. and they only sold 88K commanders to the 139K GCs. and some analysts say the commander cannibalized the sales of the GC...this info comes from left lane news..

Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
mileshuff
Professional

I love my 2004 Hemi 4x4Durango. There just isn't any other SUV in it's class except for perhaps the Nissan Armada. But the Hemi outperforms it on the highway and the Armada has had more than its shares of growing pain issues.

The PT Cruiser needs a serious update. Great car, good looks but its dated. Don't think it needs to be cut. Just a major update is due.

Nitro I just do not get. It's over priced with a cheap flimsy interior.

Caliber and Advenger are keepers. Two good basic cars. A bit over priced for the low end interior they have.

Whats with Dodge and their cheap interiors any ways?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

IMO Dodge should be going after Pontiac like nobodys business. And that is going to mean Rear Wheel Drive for the midsize to full size cars, I agree that there should be a Hornet type car to fight the XB. As far as the Durango being a good SUV well that might be, but you need to realize the Durango looks too much like a MiniVan.

And the Durango needs to be more than just an SUV version of the Dakota. The Magnum Crossover makes much more sense than a Wagon.

I really do think the Charger should be a 4 door coupe, the Challenger will fill the spot for a Coupe that is worth spending money on, and should make a good 2+2 convertable as well.

Now the PT needs to go, It's already to much of a design burden, its not a Beetle and its not a 911, so there is no reason to keep the looking the same all these years and just change the headlights.

Dodges interiors should be more sporty as far as the R/Ts go. You should have the option of either Carbon Fiber or brushed aluminium for some nice accents. No more compleatly plastic dashes.

The Avenger is on the same platform that the EVO X is on. And an AWD SRT-4 Avenger could go right after the Ralley Market.

I realize that Dodge is the Low end brand for Chrysler. (i.e. the budget brand.) I think that would be great for the SE models. Limit the Options and keep somethings that are higher end for the R/Ts and SRTs.

Chrysler is in need of some flagships, Higher end flag ships. The FirePower is a Great Idea and So is the ME412 but lets go somewhere in between shall we. It should be a Grand Tourer, Think Cady XLR meets Ferrari 599. The car can be faster than the Viper but more civil in the way it does things. High power Hemi engine, Duel Clutch Transmission, the whole lot.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:28 AM
mileshuff
Professional

The Durango is the perfect size for me. I don't want a traditional large style like the Suburban or Tahoe. The Durango and the Nissan Armada break that trend. The Durango hemi is an excellent towing vehicle, seats 6 very comfortable (mine is spec'd at 7, new ones are 8). Crossovers do nothing for me. If I want a car I'll buy a car. SUV's are already a crossover...Sport Utility. Too many of these crossovers take the utility part out and leave a car that kinda sorta looks like something that could be used for more utility purposes. While its true that many SUV owners do not take theirs off road or tow, I do both. The Durango is one of very few SUV's thats actually capable of utility purposes.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

And the Durango needs to be more than just an SUV version of the Dakota. The Magnum Crossover makes much more sense than a Wagon.

That wasn't a reference to Dodge should replace the Durango with a Magnum Crossover. I just had both ideas on one line.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:39 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

The durango is not based off the dakota anymore. Hasn't been since the remodel. We tried the crossover thing. Its called the pacifica, which is getting canned. Crossovers are just a fad. Ford and GM are going there because they just can't seem to build the minivan right. I would like to see some very different sheet metal on the two minivans though.

Nate I don't know where you got those numbers from. Internal build numbers show we build more commanders than gc. They also show we sell commanders more. Almost 2 to 1. A commander is a long wheelbase gc. They are built on the same chassis.

The pt will be replacedby a journey clone. The journey will be built at the same plant the pt is in mexico.[:@] And there will be a chrysler clone to be built there as well.

I forgot to add that the magnum, and the crossfire are also goners. And there is most likely a srt avenger coming.

Pitting chrysler against caddy would most likely fail. anybody remember when the pacifica first came out? That is what we were shooting for. But nobody would pay 40+k for a chrysler. I'd say buick would be a better target.

Quick Reply: Five to seven models to be cut