Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

GM asks gov to Buy Chrysler ******

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 AM
thefamilyguy209
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Nofrag
Champion

I've heard they're also asking for $3B from the Canadian government, a pretty ballsy move on their part since they've tried to close plants after getting bailouts in the past. If you ask me, the best help the government could give them, would be a demand to release the Volt by 2010-2012 at the latest, along with possible other plug-in hybrids in order to decrease dependence on oil, and boost sales for the ailing company. If the EV1 was any example, without a government requirement, the most anyone is going to see of such products from them will be pictures and concepts.

Last edited by Nofrag; 10-29-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to help GM ruin Chrysler!!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lxman1
I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to help GM ruin Chrysler!!!!!
Agreed, if this happens I will be absolutely livid

Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Oh noe's! As a tax payer, I sure as **** don't want my tax dollars going to GM to buy Chrysler. Would it not make more sense for Chrysler to get the 10 billion to stay afloat?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Oh noe's! As a tax payer, I sure as **** don't want my tax dollars going to GM to buy Chrysler. Would it not make more sense for Chrysler to get the 10 billion to stay afloat?
That would be the stupidest thing the government would do. That money wouldn't go to help out Chrysler. It would go to help European Diamler, the owners of Chrysler. Then they would agree to a sale.
I wouldn't have a problem with GM and Chrysler merger. I don't want GM to go under though. Nor do I want Dodge to no longer be a vehicle.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the radio is reporting this morning
that ex-Treasury Secretary and now Cerberus Board chairman John Snow has failed to convince his old buddies, and
that the Bush Administration has refused
to allot special bailout money to Cerberus for a GM merger
but Cerberus is saying
it is going to still try to make GMAC an official bank
with rights to borrow nearly unlimited money from the US Federal Reserve Board Discount Window
(similar to what Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan did 4 weeks ago)
and
Cerberus says it is going to re-ask the new administration after Tuesday's election
to fund a GM merger.

As independent consultants like Grant-Thorton are saying the GM merger will cost the US economy about 100,000 jobs
with the layoffs spread through part suppliers to both GM and Chrysler,
as well as the two companies themselves,
I hope Cerberus gets turned down again.

It would be better for both GM and Chrysler to go into bankruptcy
than to merge.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

So wait, you'd rather see two companies go belly up then the two merge...

Old 10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
So wait, you'd rather see two companies go belly up then the two merge...
Yea, that's what I was thinking. Cost America 100,000 jobs, or cost millions of jobs. Hmmm... that's a hard one.

If those two would go belly up, then it will give the bike industry some good business, because I wouldn't buy a Ford.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

How about instead of floating government (taxpayers') money, why not get the government the hell out of the auto industry? All the safety, emissions, and mpg standards have done is burden them. You ditch that garbage and you'll see costs plummet and that will spark people to buy again. The cars we want are out there. But who can afford $40K for a Challenger SRT-8? You get that down to $30K--and I know for a fact you can trim $10K worth of govt. mandated costs out of them--and theyll sell. Think what that'll do for the costs of the rest of the line. AND, it'd free up R&D dollars to actually make tecnology advances instead of meeting some politician's mandates. Politicians who dont know thing #1 about cars, but still want to call the shots on what to build.

Remember, government screws up everything it touches. In fact, I defy anyone here to name one thing that the government has gotten involved in and not screwed up in some way. These bunch of inept idiots cant even be trusted to get a letter to its recipient, educate kids, or stop a bunch of terrorists with 3rd world technology from flying planes into buildings. They cant figure out that a 30 year old strapping man applying for SSI isnt likely 'disabled'. Do you want them telling a company that has been building cars for decades how to do their jobs? Do we want them telling us whats best for us and making our decisions? Think real hard about this.

Last edited by grungerockjeeper; 10-31-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: GM asks gov to Buy Chrysler ******