Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

One last rant DIESEL 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry One last rant DIESEL 2009

Okay so one final rant before, I officially consider removing my name from dodge completley.

They (dodge or Chrysler however you want to say it) have been promising a 1500 diesel since 06. First it was oh yeah we will bring it out in 06, then nope, well we have made plans for 09. So okay, wait till 09. Then what happened near 09 model time, oh sorry we are going to push it back till 2010. Now that the 2010 models are due to be nearly out, what happens once again. Nope sorry we were acutally lying the whole time, and now it will be 2011. This is one of the most stupid things that dodge has done. They have the engine done, it has been tested, they know it lasts and works, yet they keep moving it back, when they know good and well there is a large placment for these trucks, whoever makes the first one actually get to market of the big three will be the one to take the lions share of sales.

Now I find out through searching (I will have to post the sight later I was so mad that I couldnt see straight when I found it.) That dodge has just voided the contract with cummins on the v6 for the dak and the v8 for the 1500. Dodge cost Cummins ALOT of money in doing this, all the R&D, all the money they spent getting ready to make these engines, and dodge just says NOPE sorry.

The leaders at dodge need to get their head out of their #$@. I have alredy read that the higher ups at cummins are considering removing the contract for the medium grade engines that they make for dodge IE 6.7. Dodge may have officially screwed themself to the point that they will not recover under any circumstances, they really have no other fallback except that their heavy trucks have the cummins in them.

Looks like it is becoming more and more plausible that we may see a f250 with a cummins in the next 3-5 yrs. Then dodge will be nearly guaranteed to be removed from the map except for maybe OEM parts.

So after all that, if any of you read it and find it also disturbing, my question is this, do you think that dodge will be able to survive if they lose the contract with cummins and ford or GM gets it.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
CountryGirl91

Oh, wow! Didn't know about that. Well, I hope Ford doesn't get it for sure!!! Ford really sucks from every one of them I've seen and heard about.
Yall are probably going to attack me for this but I wish Cummins would of been with GM from a long time ago. That's just my wish and I'm not trying to dis the owners of the newest style Dodge truck, but I just think them trucks are ugly and don't deserve a Cummins in it. (SORRY, THAT LAST LINE WAS KIND OF HARSH BUT JUST MY OPINION WISH, SO CHILL.)

Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think Chrysler is gonna make it with or without Cummins to be truthful. Fiat has no financial stake in Chrysler and isn't interested in anything other than to have an existing network in place to sell their small cars.

It's a shame, because engine wise at least, they have the best trucks currently available and the Jeep line (at least before they f*cked it up by badging crappy Chrysler vehicles with Jeep badges and going to CV axles in all but the Wrangler) has always been profitable.

The trucks need to have diesel offerings to compete in the newer, less foreign oil dependent market and the Jeeps need to be "Trial Rated" in more than name only.

The company has changed hands so many times that you really can't expect plans of a prior regime to all go ahead with new ownership/management.

They are doomed IMO, their lineup is tired and old compared to Furd and GM, but they don't have ANY capitol to do anything about it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-06-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
bruno426
Captain

Hammer I am not trying to go agains what you said, I understand it entirely. But look at it from my perspective. Dodge had the money to throw away on the challenger, a car that the KNEW would not sell large numbers, just from the very nature of it.

If they had done what the should have and made it a concept for people to look at and let ford and gm spend money on muscle cars, dodge would have easily had the money to get out a half ton diesel in even 08, and would have had enourmous sale compared to other half tons, because no one would have had anything like it. Hell even fanboys of other brands that were in the market would have probably been buying it.

Now before anyone bites my head off, yes I agree that the challenger is a sweet car, but dodge got caught up in the petty relive the glory days race that the companies were having. Do I want a challenger absolutley... some day.. But I wouldnt pay full price for one, ill wait a few years till the hoopla wears down a bit and get a good used one. I have had money sitting in a dedecated account just waiting for a diesel half ton or dakota, since 07.
if dodge said hey, we have a half ton diesel coming out it is available for pre order at your local dealer. Id take off work just to go get one TODAY. Instead, I am using my 95 ram with 220,000 on the clock, and a slipping transmission hoping that it lasts till they come with one to replace it.

For god sakes look at it this way, how many farmers do you know like i do that haul large trailers with trucks from the 70's with 360s and 390s. I know of sever that would retire that thing in a heartbeat for some thing that would last as well (engine wise) as some of those did, but wasnt in a larger truck like a 3500 dually. They want an engine around that size, 5.0L was a good choice, and Cummins had it ready. Good lord, the design was made in nearly 05.

These diesels would have sold crazy well about a year ago when diesel was actually cheaper than gas.

Oh well guess Ill save some money and get a 98 12v, a truck from back in the glory days, when manufactures kept their word.

In fact I hope that some type of exec reads this site some time and realizes that he made a huge mistage. He will need a crowbar to get his puckered but out of the seat.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
bruno426
Captain

just found another site that said that cummins may allow nissan to put one in a light truck, I could go for that, matter of fact I am almost so mad that I want them to just so chrysler goes donw for good. There were no less than 40 guys that were willing to put cash on the hood or so they said.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's more of an EPA thing. Ford was going to have one as well and it has been put on the back burner as well. The EPA is making it almost impossible to do anything anymore!!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 PM
bruno426
Captain

How is it the epa, when the orginal designs on the engines were semi finalized, they wer to be compliant till 2011. So yeah if you look at it like they want to release it in 2011 yeah it is not compliant, but it was more than allowed in 06, 07, 08, 09, and 2010.

Ford as I understand it has pretty much not put it on the back curner, they decided to cancel the idea completley. Maybe what I need to do is buy a car in a third world country to get the vehicle I want, heavens knows that we cant buy them anymore in the us.

But, I will say one thing about the EPA and diesel emissions. Can anyone trace it back to a single engine that caused most people in the us at the time to hate diesels? I can, it is called the small block 350. In the 70's people were buying kits to make some of the most gutless inefficient diesels with the absolute WORST emissions. People see black smoke and think pollution, but they dont realize that the soot falls, greenhouse gases from gas engine rise, not to mention the fact that emissions off of the engines people have put hydrogen generators on is more than twice as bad as the emissions that normally come out. Why have they not been outlawed like the diesels have.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
bruno426
Captain

Old 10-07-2009, 06:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, that 350 Olds Diesel was a disaster. The early GM 6.2L diesel was a turd as well.
How much pollution can a diesel Jetta get if it gets 65mpg, but yet they say it is too dirty to drive. I don't get it.
I think a small diesel in a 1/2 ton truck would almost be a necessity in order for the manufacturers to help raise the overall EPA rating for the upcoming ridiculous requirements.
Hopefully, they will rethink this decision.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

They haven't killed the light duty diesel, just voided the contract. Cummins and Chrysler will continue to cooperate and cross engineer.

Quick Reply: One last rant DIESEL 2009