Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Concept car found, help ID this car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Rubix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concept car found, help ID this car!

I'm coming to yall from shoforum.com , I'm a Ford enthusiast and this topic has been growing interest on our SHO boards. It's driving me nuts that we can't ID it, so I've come to yall in search of answers. This topic has been posted on several other Ford enthusiast sites and a hotrodding site as well (hotrodders know everything!). So far, other boards haven't revealed anything we SHO folks haven't already discussed, so here I am...

Originally Posted by DaSho97
Found this car in my uncles storage facility at Vermont. No idea what the hell it is. Looks like some sort of concept car that was abandoned.

In reference to the badge on the side rocker molding...
Originally Posted by DaSho97
Looked like it read Vision or something along those lines. Maybe its some sort of alien language lol.

My opinion? Some kind of Eagle hybrid concept based on the Vision with influence from the Portofino. Those look to be Intrepid headlights. The taillights are long and thin with reverse lights in the middle like '93-97 Intrepids (though I know these tails look nothing like any Intrepid's).

Anyone got any insight?

All kinds of ideas have been thrown about... Sunfire/Cavalier lovechild, Reatta/Sunfire lovechild, Some kind of Buick concept, 4-door Stealth concept, some Portofino related, Pontiac Banshee concept, and there's a few more thoughts.

Last edited by Rubix; 05-01-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it looks a great deal like the 1988 chrysler portofino concept along the sides and wheelbase... and in that stealth-like rear spoiler but the front and rear fascias arent right.

ive attached an image of the portofino concept. my guess is that this was either a concept for one of the other chrysler brands around the same time or it is the portofino that was in the process of being transformed into something else when the project was scrapped.

i know that back then, chrysler loved repurposing concept cars (even the original dodge challenger concept in the late 60s was turned into something else later on) so i would guess that this was the chrysler portofino and whoever was responsible for the build started to turn it into something else (like the eagle vision version of the portofino?) when they abandoned the project.

is the car still in the possession of the person who posted the pictures? if the doors open up and away from each other, that should prove my guess...also, is there no drivetrain? why is the car sitting with the rear wheels up on a curb?

Attached Thumbnails Concept car found, help ID this car!-88-portofino.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like Intrepid body curves.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

You know how the car companies will show a lightly modified version of a show car for 2 or 3 years before introducing the actual production model? I think Badstrat is dead-on, that was probably a Portofino that was still being built or updated for another show. Show cars are damn near priceless on the collectors market because they either go into the manufacturers museums or get crushed. I hope he/she keeps that thing safe and hides it well. Not too many years ago Chrysler sued and won to get an auto show car from a very wealthy collector and then crushed it. They claimed it was a federal EPA and safety issue.

Last edited by mantisman51; 05-01-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

BTW LX, the Portofino was the original inspiration behind the first generation LH cars. So you are correct that it looks like an Intrepid. The Eagle Vision was the production model that kept closest to the concept car.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I can see the resemblance. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
gn300
Professional

I wonder if it is still around ,would be kind of a cool thing to bring to life.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

When I was in mechanic school at Boise State we had a 1993 Chrysler Daytona concept. It was a super high performance version that Chrysler was preparing for the European market. It looked exactly like the last generation Daytona, but it had awd and about 500 hp from a twin supercharged 2.5L. It could spin all 4 wheels at every gear shift. We were told when Chrysler took it back (it was on loan to the school), it would be crushed. We weren't allowed to take pictures of it or drive on the road. But the instructors trailered it to Firebird raceway a few times to demonstrate it.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

twin supercharged or twin turbocharged?

the type of concept really dictates the price...ive seen some that go for HUGE money, but its a very niche market. in some cases, you cant register them so they are only beneficial for collectors who never want to drive it.

the original dodge mirada concept still exists...the guy puts it up online for sale once in a while...id love to buy it- i think that it has like 200 miles on it...but i believe that hes asking something like $75,000.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

It was twin root style super chargers.

Quick Reply: Concept car found, help ID this car!