Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Most important element of detailing

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem I've heard about a sea sponge is if they aren't cleaned well enough, they could potentially still have sand/grit in them. A chamois isn't going to strip wax, but they sure are a pain to use IMO. Waffle weave MF towels are great for drying!!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the sponge through the washer before my intial use to rinse sand and after every use,
FF

Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

They do have some sand still in them, huh? Do the companies that sell them as wash sponges put any sort of notice on them?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they have a tag on the sponge or on the plastic casing advising to rinse it well before using. I use a microfiber on my wheels, but not on my paint for some reason. I agree that a chamois is hard to use as you constantly need to wring it out, but my father used one when I was a kid. I use a microfiber to buff off wax or to take off paint sealant, but a terry cloth towel should never be used on a vehicle. I learned this the hard way as a kid washing my fathers car, swirl marks everywhere,
FF

Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Some companies do make extremely nice and soft terry towels for paint (I have some), but 99% of the time, people try and use the cheapo ones which shouldn't really ever touch paint except in certain cases.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

microfiber mits are the only thing i use to wash my paint with.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 PM
ShocK
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
Yes, they have a tag on the sponge or on the plastic casing advising to rinse it well before using. I use a microfiber on my wheels, but not on my paint for some reason. I agree that a chamois is hard to use as you constantly need to wring it out, but my father used one when I was a kid. I use a microfiber to buff off wax or to take off paint sealant, but a terry cloth towel should never be used on a vehicle. I learned this the hard way as a kid washing my fathers car, swirl marks everywhere,
FF
Terry cloth towels are fine if you clean them before you use them. Reusing a towel that has a possibility of being contaminated with debris, (most commonly after it has been dropped on the floor) can be damaging. How the towel is stored, the hardness of the towel, or a towel that has harden wax in it.
It is hard to keep towels clean while you're using them, terry or microfiber will pick up and carry debris.
The soft bristled brush attached to the end of a garden hose is the easiest to keep clean.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Bunky
Rookie

I prefer lamb wool wash mitts but use mf dreadlock style mitts as well. I have also used sponges but do not like them very much. I do not think they clean as well. For a rinseless wash, I use microffiber.

For drying I use microfiber towels. One of my favorites is Mothers foam core waffle weave drying towel but I also use a Metro Master Blaster dryer a lot now.

Swirls can happen any time you touch the paint so any activity (wash, dry, wax on,wax off, detail spray) is a chance to swirl it up even with good mf towels.

This is why safe washing/drying methods (foam guns, two buckets, grit guards, multiple mitts, nice microfiber, using detail spray while drying, blot drying, etc. etc.) is all about reducing the chances to mar the paint.

One key point is just to pay attention to what is on your mitt and towel as you wash and dry. It needs to stay clean.

Last edited by Bunky; 12-05-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Foam core WW towel, eh? Is that on the Mother's site?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 AM
ShocK
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bunky
I
Swirls can happen any time you touch the paint so any activity (wash, dry, wax on,wax off, detail spray) is a chance to swirl it up even with good mf towels.

One key point is just to pay attention to what is on your mitt and towel as you wash and dry. It needs to stay clean.
Very good points.

Quick Reply: Most important element of detailing