Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Most important element of detailing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
ShocK
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most important element of detailing

A lot of people swear by product brands for one reason or the other.
Some love products that others have difficulty in getting good results.
It appears that there are two types of detailers.
Those that are on a mission and those that want results now.
I would be in the latter. I want to drive my car more than I want to rub on it.
Yet I want a showroom shine too. There could be a long debate on which company makes the best product.
I think most of us have our favorites.

However before we even get to the product.
I believe its all about prep work.
A dirty car cannot shine like a clean car can even when you use the same product.

Brand name car wash products may be ok to remove the brands wax but I find that most brand carwash soap is weak and not as effective as dishwashing liquid.
People say no dishwashing liquid, It will ruin your clear coat....
That is a myth. Clear coat and paint, like a lot of dish ware is plastic/acrylic.
Dish washing liquid is safe for plastic and it easily cleans oil and grease from your paint.
I also find that applying dishwashing liquid to a long handled soft bristled brush is more effective than a sponge or towel.
I use a bug scrubber for stuff stuck to paint.
I don't use a bucket, Thats resusing dirty water.
I use a hose and never let the soap dry or sit on the car. I rise as I clean.
This works best for me. What are some technique you use when you prep a vehicle for waxing or conditioning?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Bunky
Rookie

Based upon your comments, it intends on what you want.

New car paint if properly delivered will have clean paint free of any marring (reduces gloss) and swirls (scratches in the paint). This is the showroom shine.

To maintain this shine, you have to prevent marring, swirls, and other environmental effects (water spots, airborne contaminants that get on the paint, etc). The showroom shine can be reduced is degraded by washing, drying, and the environment effects over time. There are accepted ways that minimize marring, swirls, etc. when washing/drying if properly done.

Here is one difference: Some people notice things more than others and others do not care about such things. This is why everyone debates waxes all the time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The best practices are: a ph neutral soap (dishwashing detergent is not), a good soft wash media (wool, boars head brush, etc), plenty of mixed soap (a separate rinse bucket is even better), microfiber towels for drying. etc. These are all outlined at web sites like www.mothers.com.

If you think you like your results, then why argue about it. Now the test is to get someone to look at your paint and assess whether there is marring and swirls since you may not be able to see them to judge whether your technique is causing damage or not.

My guess you have marring from using the bug scrubber but you just do not notice it. Again, if you think it looks good, then that is all that matters. It is when you want someone to agree with you that you have to accept other standards of good.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dish detergent will not hurt your clearcoat or paint. It will remove the wax from your paint that protects it. I would not use dish detergent as it is too harsh. I would never use a brush either unless you are scrubbing the deck of a ancient ship. Use a natural sponge or a microfiber and two buckets. One bucket for soap (charging) and one bucket of clean water (discharging). Refill a couple of times in order to avoid picking up debris and running it across the paint. I would never use a terry cloth towel for drying or wax removal. USe a real chamois or a microfiber towel. This photo is after I washed, clayed, polished, applied a paint sealant, and finally a coat of wax:

Name:  DSC02523.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  224.3 KB

Name:  DSC02524.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  193.5 KB

FF

Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 AM
ShocK
Rookie

I agree that a bug scrubber may be a risky choice depending on the material it is made of.
I think you can over use any soap but I don't know of anything that cleans as well as dishwashing liquid when it comes to removing old wax.
I know people say it is harmful but I don't use soap with every wash and when I do use soap I need it.
I want something I know swill work.
A Soft bristled brush is superior to a sponge or towel for cleaning because
brushes will not hold or trap particles like a towel or sponge will.
They are easily rinsed clean, don't require washing.
So there is less chance of marring the paint with dirt particles.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Pro-Techt

Dawn is totally the way to go for the initial paint prep and after polishing/before sealing. It's actually 1 component among many actually. Didn't someone in the past test the alkaline levels of Dawn to other car wash soaps and find it not any harmful than some OTC brands? Many don't like the dirty Dawn word because it *can* strip *some* waxes/sealants.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Bunky
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pro-Techt
Many don't like the dirty Dawn word because it *can* strip *some* waxes/sealants.
You find most (major detailing product suppliers like Meg's, Mothers, many others) against Dawn since it supposedly can be harsh on paint, rubber, plastics, etc. Most use it to strip waxes since it is a degreaser.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 AM
ShocK
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bunky
You find most (major detailing product suppliers like Meg's, Mothers, many others) against Dawn since it supposedly can be harsh on paint, rubber, plastics, etc. Most use it to strip waxes since it is a degreaser.
That is because the wax companies want you to buy their soap brand, which is compatible to the wax they make.
(IN OTHER WORDS) IT WILL CLEAN WITHOUT TAKING OFF THEIR WAX"
A car is made of the same materials dishes are made of,
glass, plastic, metal.

The belief that dishwashing liquid will hurt your paint is an " URBAN LEGEND".

Dishwashing liquid is one of the safest products you can use on your car.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
gevalco207
Rookie

just use dawn/water mix as a lubricant when claying. use a reputable soap when washing. i think its (poor boys soap and suds) that is supposed to be a premier washing soap.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Bunky
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShocK
That is because the wax companies want you to buy their soap brand, which is compatible to the wax they make.
(IN OTHER WORDS) IT WILL CLEAN WITHOUT TAKING OFF THEIR WAX"
A car is made of the same materials dishes are made of,
glass, plastic, metal.

The belief that dishwashing liquid will hurt your paint is an " URBAN LEGEND".

Dishwashing liquid is one of the safest products you can use on your car.
I think you will most say Dawn and other dishwashing detergents will degrade your wax since they are designed to cut grease and everything else.

The question about harming trim, rubber, etc. is the part gets debated. I never use it so I never worry about the question. I have plenty of nice car soaps that smell better, gentle on your wax/sealant, clean well, nice suds, etc. I have Poorboys. It is a nice soap.

I use detailers when claying.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see people in here keep saying dish soap is fine to use and that it hurting your paint is an "urban legend" or fake or untrue. Proof? I mean actual proof, not simply you saying "my car looks great." How about automotive manufacturer's that tell you in the owner's manual not to use dish detergent? Are they in it for the profit too?

Saying that a car is like dishes because they have glass, plastic and metal on them is completely ignorant and asinine. What about the paint? The part you are saying will be completely fine? Are your dishes painted?

EDIT: Decided to cruise on over to Dawn's website. Found this taking a minute to look around:
Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?
Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair.
Just to re-iterate:
Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair.
They must be in-league with car care companies and auto manufacturers...

Palmolive says:
Dishwashing liquids are not recommended for some uses.
  • Carpet and rug stains
  • Bathing or shampooing
  • Cleaning glass or windows
There goes the "car has glass like dishes" theory too now...

/EDIT

No dish soap here:

Last edited by darthroush; 06-27-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Most important element of detailing