Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Needing Help P0700, P0730, P0777

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Jdawgg23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Help P0700, P0730, P0777

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber SE which no longer has a warranty on the car. I have a canOBD2 Code Reader and received the followiing codes:
Pending Codes:
P0777 - Pressure Control Solenoid B Stuck On

MIL DTC:
P0777 - Pressure Control Solenoid B Stuck On
P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request)

Stored Codes:
P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
P0730 - Incorrect Gear Ratio

No dealer wants to tell me any information about the codes they state that the best thing is to just bring it in to be looked at for a day and the cost to look at it is 360.00. This makes no sense to me, but I finding out that I really do not have a choice here anymore. If anyone can help please let me know. The following links are page 1, 2 and 3 of the full report. Thank you if you can help me out.

Page 1:
http://www.shareimages.com/image.php...6Wa-page_1.jpg

Page 2:
http://www.shareimages.com/image.php...6Wa-page_2.jpg

Page 3:
http://www.shareimages.com/image.php...6Wa-page_3.jpg

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds to me like the control solenoid is stuck on thus throwing that code and may be causing the other code as well since the TCS can not correct the problem.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

P0777-SECONDARY PRESSURE SOLENOID STUCK ON (LOW PRESSURE)
Theory of Operation
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) monitors the secondary line pressure (secondary pulley pressure) from the secondary pressure sensor. The TCM compares the actual secondary line pressure to the target (desired) line pressure. Failure to match the target line pressure over a given time will set the DTC.

When Monitored:
Ignition on, engine running with the transmission not in neutral or park.

Transmission fluid temperature greater than -20° C (-4° F).

Brake Switch in the OFF mode.

Change rate of vehicle speed greater than 24 Km/h (15 mph).

Change rate of accelerator pedal position less than ± 6.25%.

Engine rpm greater than 450 rpm with a transmission fluid temperature greater than 20° C (68° F).

No active DTCs from the following:

Line Pressure Solenoid
Primary or Secondary Pressure Sensor
Step Motor
Secondary Solenoid electrical
Input and Output Speed Sensor
CAN Bus
Set Condition:
When the secondary pressure goes down gradually below a predetermined value during a drive cycle. The DTC could be due to the failure of the secondary pressure control system, secondary pressure solenoid performance or line pressure solenoid. There are two possible setting conditions to set this DTC.

Condition one:

Target secondary pressure minus the measured secondary pressure is greater than 0.25 MPa (36 psi) for two consecutive instances of a problem identification for the period of 1.5 seconds within a 30 second interval.
Condition two:

Target secondary pressure minus the measured secondary pressure is greater than 2.0 MPa (291 psi) for the period of 800 msec.

Possible Causes
(T50) SECONDARY PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
LINE PRESSURE SOLENOID
SECONDARY PRESSURE SENSOR
SECONDARY PRESSURE SOLENOID
SECONDARY PRESSURE CONTROL SYSTEM
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the CVT Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

1. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) IS ACTIVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Using the scan tool, read Transmission DTCs.

Is the status Active for this DTC or is the Starts Since Set counter 2 or less?

Yes

Go To 2

No

Go To 7

2. CHECK LINE PRESSURE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Engine rpm to Line pressure readings
Engine rpm Line Pressure
Idle 750 kPa (108.8 psi) ± 400 kPa (58 psi)
2.0L - 2500 to 3000 rpm 5300 - 5700 kPa (768.5 - 826.5 psi) ± 400 kPa (58 psi)
2.4L - 2600 to 3100 rpm
1. Start the engine and warm the transmission to 50 - 80° C (122 - 174° F).
2. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
3. Install an appropriate pressure gauge in the Line Pressure test port in accordance with the Service Information.

WARNING: The CV Transmission can generate a line pressure up to 1800 psi. Failure to use recommended test equipment referred to by the Service Information can result in possible serious or fatal injury.

4. Using the scan tool, erase Transmission DTCs.

WARNING: Apply the parking brake. Failure to follow these instructions can result in possible serious or fatal injury.

5. With the brakes firmly applied, start the engine allow to idle and shift the transmission into Reverse, Drive and Low while recording the scan tool Line pressure reading and the pressure gauge reading in each shift lever position.
6. With the brakes still firmly applied, raise the engine rpm between 2700 - 3250 rpm and shift the transmission into Reverse, Drive and Low while recording the scan tool line pressure reading and the pressure gauge reading in each shift lever position.

CAUTION: Do not hold the engine rpm between 2700 - 3250 rpm for more than 5 seconds in any given shift position. If the five second threshold is exceeded, transmission damage can occur. Allow to idle in neutral between shifts for at least 15 to 20 seconds to allow transmission fluid to cool.

Do the gauge readings fall into the desired pressure ranges?

Yes

Go To 4

No

Go To 3

3. VERIFY PROBLEM

Possible causes to conditions detected
ENGINE RPM LINE PRESSURE CONDITION DETECTED POSSIBLE CAUSES BUT NOT JUST LIMITED TO THESE
Idle speed Low for all shift lever positions Oil Pump Wear
Pressure Regulator Valve for plug sticking or spring fatigue
Oil filter, oil pump, pressure regulator valve passage oil leak
Engine idle speed too low
Only low for a specific position Oil pressure leak in a passage or component related to the position after the pressure is distributed by the manual valve
High TP or APP sensor signal malfunction
CVT fluid temperature sensor malfunction
Line pressure solenoid sticking in the off state, filter plugged, cut line
Pressure regulator valve or plug sticking
Engine rpm between 2700 and 3250 rpm Line pressure does not rise above the line pressure at idle TP or APP sensor signal malfunction
Line pressure solenoid sticking in the on state, filter plugged
Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Oil pump weak or worn
Line Pressure rises but does not reach desired level TP or APP sensor signal malfunction
Line pressure solenoid sticking in the off state, filter plugged, cut line
Oil pump weak or worn
Line pressure is low in only one shift lever position Oil pressure leak in a passage or component related to the position after the pressure is distributed by the manual valve
1. Use the above chart to help identify the possible cause.

NOTE: There may be other possible causes besides those listed on the above chart. Review any Service Bulletins and refer to the Service Information for any additional possible causes that may apply.

Repair

Repair the CV Transmission as necessary in accordance with the Service Information
Perform the CVT VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

4. CHECK THE SECONDARY PRESSURE

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
2. Disconnect the pressure gauge from the Line Pressure test port and reinstall the test port plug.
3. Install the pressure gauge in the Secondary Pressure test port in accordance with the Service Information.
4. Using the scan tool, erase Transmission DTCs.

WARNING: Apply the parking brake. Failure to follow these instructions can result in possible serious or fatal injury.

5. With the brakes firmly applied, start the engine allow to idle and shift the transmission into Reverse, Drive and Low while comparing the Secondary Pressure gauge reading to the scan tool Secondary Pressure reading in each shift lever position and record your findings.
6. With the brakes still firmly applied, raise the engine rpm between 2700 - 3250 rpm and shift the transmission into Reverse, Drive and Low while comparing the gauge Secondary Pressure to the scan tool Secondary Pressure in each shift lever position and record your findings.

CAUTION: Do not hold the engine rpm between 2700 - 3250 rpm for more than 5 seconds in any given shift position. If the five second threshold is exceeded, transmission damage can occur. Allow to idle in neutral between shifts for at least 15 to 20 seconds to allow transmission fluid to cool.

Does the Secondary Pressure gauge readings match the scan tool readings in all of the above procedures?

Yes

Replace the Valve Body in accordance with the Service Information for components related to the Secondary Pressure Control System.
Perform the CVT VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

Go To 5

5. CHECK THE SECONDARY PRESSURE SENSOR

2. Disconnect the pressure gauge from the Secondary Pressure test port and reinstall the test port plug.
3. Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly harness connector.
4. Connect a jumper wire between the (T50) Secondary Pressure Sensor Signal circuit and the (T72) 5-Volt Supply circuit in the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly harness connector.
5. Ignition on, engine not running.
6. With the scan tool read the Secondary Pressure voltage.

Is the voltage between 4.5 and 5.5 Volts?

Yes

Replace the Secondary Pressure Sensor (Valve Body) in accordance with the Service Information.

No

Go To 6

6. CHECK THE (T21) PRIMARY PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR HIGH RESISTANCE

2. Disconnect the TCM C2 harness connector.
3. Connect a jumper wire between the B(+) and the (T21) Primary Pressure Sensor Signal circuit in the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch harness connector.
4. Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the (T21) Primary Pressure Sensor Signal circuit in the TCM C2 harness connector.

NOTE: The test light must illuminate brightly. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes

Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. Check for any Service Bulletins for possible causes that may apply. If no problems are found, replace the TCM in accordance with the Service Information.

No

Repair the (T21) Primary Pressure Sensor Signal circuit for an open (high resistance).

7. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
3. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Test Complete.

Where about in California do you live? You can send me a pm.And i do work for a dealer and i will share any information with you or any of our members.

Last edited by master tech; 09-12-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Jdawgg23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Where about in California do you live? You can send me a pm.And i do work for a dealer and i will share any information with you or any of our members.
Thank you for the information, but I do not think that this is something I would be able to do at home. Seems that I will be taking it to the deal when I get the cash to cover their fees. I live in Bakersfield, CA

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If you do go to the dealer,post or send me a pm on who the service writers name.I know some of the writers at the bakersfield dealer.

Quick Reply: Needing Help P0700, P0730, P0777