Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
A&PRALPH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell

Hi guys new to the site, this place is awesome glad to be a part of it.
My friend has a 09 Caliber SXT 68,000 miles,which keeps going into limp mode and giving him a warning high temp light. The dealer has told him that $ 475 they service the tranny and it might help but not to count on it because it may be shot . I was so upset I told him I look at it, I ran my scan tool and no codes showed for powertrain and it is registering temp to tranny module. Ohm out every wire to the trans. and control module wires are good, I pulled out the cooler which is the cylinder looking thing under the battery where all the hoses attach (PART# 68025160AA) cleaned and pressure tested and its ok no clogs, tested the condenser cooler also good no clogs, I borescope the tranny everything is good. There are no shavings or parts in the pan. However when cleaning the inside of the tranny I found a small paper fiber filter in there. I pulled it and it look beat up and plugged I can barley blow through it. I called every where and no one sells it, infact Dodge dont even give it a part number. The cooler doesn't bring it either, they guy at the dealer nearly called me a liar he couldnt belive it had to email him a pic. Please anyone can help with this I would appreciate it, Im a aviation tech and ASE mech, my experience is telling me this filter is due for replacement because it is the cause of the restriction. I also noticed the tranny fluid foams like soap so any pressure will cause foam expansion which is BAD tranny can't pump foam .
I don't dare to use any solvent to clean it because I cant even ID the material that its made of. Talking with the dealer is I have no idea what to do since I can't find this part to have the vehicle restored to manuf specs. Anyone can help I would appreciate it. Ralph

Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell-sam_0647.jpg   HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell-sam_0648.jpg   HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell-sam_0649.jpg   HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell-sam_0650.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the filter for the Auxilary cooler. I've tried to look into the dodge parts catalog but found nothing on it. But service info wants it to be replaced when replacing the cooler. I believe that filter comes with the auxillary cooler. But not sure...
Might have to ask ur dealer to call mopar parts corporate to see if it can be bought separately.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm dealing with right now with the same code. When I am done with it I'll let you know. Do you know if the car is still covered under warranty?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:12 PM
A&PRALPH
Red face

I sure the vehicle is not under warranty, I tried contacting Jatco today and the superviser I spoke with is in shock that Dodge keeps this part a mistery and does not list it as a part number.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here is some information. I just replace the front a/c -transmission cooler as per chrysler. So you may need to have chrysler to get involved with this problem.

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Additional diagnostics for DTC P0218
Discussion:
Friction is the primary source of heat generation in all transmission systems. In a conventional step
ratio transmission, the greatest amount of friction and heat generation is found in the torque converter
during partial lock and unlocked operation. The CVT spends no time in either of these mode when
above 8-18mph, so its primary friction source is the pump, whose pressure is determined by the PCM
calculated load factor. The higher the reported load factor from the engine controller, the higher the
pressures need to be to clamp the belt tighter avoiding slippage. A low battery or improperly initialized
TCM will cause excessive pressures. Problems often develop if the PCM misreports this load factor,
so it is imperative that the catalytic converter is checked for excessive backpressure, the map/baro
readings are correct, and cam timing and phasing are correct. Excessive drag in the driveline should
be avoided as well, such problems as mismatched tire diameters due to wear or size differences in
AWD systems, low tire pressures, or alignment out of specifications.
Heat rejection is via a standard cooler system. This system can be compromised if the fluid begins to
foam or aerate due to age, or improper fluid level. As the fluid ages it will show no visible sign of
degradation, but will lose its anti-foaming capability, and as such, it is scheduled for replacement at
approximately 60,000 miles. Operating in steep grades or hard turns may experience a benefit to
keeping the fluid level to the bottom of the specification.
P0218
How long a drive
does it take to set
code?
Drive to set code
Is trans temp close
to 240 with infrared
temp gun
Short drive Long drive
No
Inspect temp sensor
wiring at 22way
trans connector, if
good, replace TCM
connector C2
Verify fluid level with
chart and scan tool. Check
the 22way trans connector
for acid damage or spread
terminals.
Install a test TCM,
Initialize and retest. If
repaired, install original
TCM, reinitialize and
verify problem returns
before condemning the
TCM Simply
disconnecting and
reconnecting the
connectors repair many
TCM concerns.
Yes
Contact Not repaired.
STAR
Does fluid have
over 50k miles,
or is it
discolored?
Drain as much trans fluid as
practical and refill/retest.
Yes
Verify fluid level with
chart and scan tool.
Visually inspect all
cooler lines for kinks and
check cooler for proper
airflow.
No
Measure exhaust backpressure
with pep module. Is pressure
less then 2psi under load?
Check catalytic
converter, repair
restricted exhaust.
No
Yes
1. Clean battery cables and load test battery.
2. Check the 22way transmission connector for acid damage or spread terminals.
3. Monitor primary pressure on level ground and constant speed, reinitialize TCM-pause and remove key when scan tool states
to cycle key to off position. Retest and see if pressures lowered.
4. Verify proper barometric pressure reading; ensure it does not change radically during test drive. Monitor engine vacuum
and camshaft phasing operation.
5. Install a test TCM, Initialize and retest. If repaired, install original TCM, reinitialize and verify problem returns before
condemning the TCM. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors repair many TCM concerns.
6. For AWD vehicles, verify all four tires have identical rolling diameters.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 PM
A&PRALPH
Thumbs up Nice write up!

Thanx a ton this is excellent write up I will get to work n it let you know the results.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I replace the front transmission cooler to a larger one and the a/c condensor too. This was done as per star ( chrysler ). So far so good.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Richie12
Amateur
Default CVT cooler filter

Hi, new member here and glad to make your aquaintance....looking forward to talking Dodge with the members.
Our Caliber SE, 2.0L CVT is now at 169,000 and first time (last week,97 degrees outside) the transmission mode slowed the car down.
I too want to replace that cooler filter and run into "not available" also, much time spent looking. I will say that I talked to Sonnax in VT with suggestion they contact Jatco and make the filter available on thier site.
I will put a larger filter on ours and was wondering if you would talk about what size you put on yours, maybe where you mounted it or anything like that which would help with buying and installing...did you put a filter "in-line" with it?
Thanks much, Rich

Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Richie12
Amateur

Just to be sure I took that filter out today (if it was clogged up) would certainly be a possibility....but no. I blew thru it gently and seems to have very little back-pressure.
The number on it is M6125, and I googled that several ways but got no results. If you want to try looking at yours it is not a lot of trouble, battery tray out, driver wheel off and plastic splash panel off, looking thru wheel well the 1 bolt at 8 o'clock position is the most difficult and had to move a nipple over a bit (one of those that lead up to the front radiator) seems to be very soft aluminum there and would be carefull not to kink it. Rich
P.S. I lost about 4 oz. of fluid doing this and replaced with Valvoline CVT NS2 fluid.

Last edited by Richie12; 07-05-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! 2009 CVT Tranny from hell