Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Dakota_24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

Yeah, this one seems to have an answer for everything. This guy thinks he knows all and everything he says, has, and does is the GOSPEL. I've got an easy solution....BLOCK HIS A$$!
ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

Opinions are like *** holes, everybody has one...

Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Xtreme Thunder
Professional

ORIGINAL: savvy
So please understand that it pains me to say that a 3 vs. a Caliber is a no brainer. Go with the 3.
Opinion

In terms of compact cars, the Neon is a joke.
WTF does this have to do with choosing a Caliber v.s Mazda 3?

They are a joke off the line, and they are a joke in terms of longevity (which it seems to me is important to you). Why do I bring up Neon in a Caliber thread?
Irrelevant

Do you really think Mopar/Chrysler/Mercedes has really made a breakthrough in producing quality small cars in that short of a time? No. It's not reasonable to make such a leap.
10 years I think is enough time for them to come up with something....

I test drove a Caliber with the CVT. While it was roomy, it wasn't responsive, the interior is cheap, there was just nothing impressive about it.
Opinion, thanks, but maybe try a FWD R/T when released.

I own a 3 hatch. I've driven the hell out of it.
Would you like a cookie?? Many people drive the hell out of their cars every day that is not Mazda.

I've put a cord of firewood in it, hauled family around int and all it does is come back for more.
Could be done with a Caliber too...

Considering the 3 is essentially a Volvo S40 with a Mazda engine (that has proven itself in the low end 6) and Mazda badge; safety, longevity, and handling are all but assured.
So the Caliber is basically a soon to be Mitsubishi Evo X, your point? Who says the Caliber is not safe? Longevity? Handeling??

The interior of the 3 is superior. To coin a phrase I would label a 3 hatch as a "UUV - Ultimate Utility Vehicle". What do I mean by that? At 160 hp you can haul some small stuff, furniture, jet skis, etc.
Opinion too, and probably can haul a jet ski with a Caliber too. Caliber SXT lacks 12HP, but the R/T has 12HP over the Mazda 3

You can do this while its' look is at the VERY least contemporary, and "euro-sporty" without looking the least bit wimpy.
Opinion

It's been described too many times by too many sources (including myself) as "intimidating" for it to be seen any other way. You can show up at the club, a play, or at the baseball game and it still fits in all contexts.
Probably, but that their opinion.

It kills plenty of V6s (not to mention pretty much any non-turbo 4cyl ) off the line. I destroyed an Avenger just a couple of weeks ago. And finally when driven right you can get 33 mpg.
Well, many 4 cyliners kill some small V6s and Mazda 3s, and Calibers your point?

The only way I would even lean toward Caliber is if AWD is a must. Even if AWD IS a must, why not consider a Matrix AWD?
Why not consider a Caliber R/T AWD??

It's very easy math dude. Until the Caliber proves itself somehow by demonstrating some miraculous upgrade in design and process by Chrysler, go with the 3.
That just negates your whole post the fact that how can you compare a 3 months old car with a car thats been out a few years???

Just some constructive innocent arguments....

Mazda 3 S 5-Door Selling Features:

Illuminated steering wheel-mounted audio and speed controls and ignition keyhole
Standard cargo management system w/ adjustable panels to divide cargo area
Available High Intensity Discharge headlamps
Available Navi.
160 HP base engine
Standard alloy wheels

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT Selling Features

Smooth shifting with efficient power, CVT2
Standard side curtain airbags
Articulating liftgate speakers
Chilled beverage cooler
Reclining rear seats
Standard cargo-area load floor panel
Flashlight to go
Uconnect

Is the Mazda 3 superior? Is the Caliber superior? If an opinion is given for the possibility of a debate then it better have the FACTS to back it up with, which were not present sorry to say.

Sorry for clogging the form guys/gals, but I am finished....

Old 04-10-2006, 02:03 AM
whoosh
Champion

It's trolls - oh sorry I meant savvy - that clog up forums with useless junk and opinions and present them as facts...ugh..[:'(]

Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 AM
savvy

Xtreme -

A very "selective" slicing and dicing of my posts.

I encourage you to read something outside of this forum.

Go the May Motor Trend and see how Caliber did, in the slalom, breaking, handling etc. Your "facts" await. I also encourage you to just do general research elsewhere. In terms of compacts Chrysler doesn't hold up. My hope is the Hornet does well, but so far the Caliber is getting ripped. Ripped even by a guy who had an open mind, and started this thread. For God's sake people, stop being yes men. Sack up and read some facts. You'll see that nearly all credible sources are ranking the 3 at or near the top of every comparison or analysis. I guess I let what you perceived to be opinion slip into my posts because it seemed to me at least that among forums (certainly in the Toyota and Honda forums) it was common knowledge that 3 performs at a very high level. I see now that you all don't read anything outside of this little bubble of existence.

I read up on the Hornet. While the revival of an AMC badge does make my cringe a little, it is my sincere hope that when/if it is introduced, it does some major damage in the market.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:27 AM
NaviDave

I have an 02 Dodge Ram QC 4x4. Far far too much stuff has needed fixing. Luckily - I knew to expect this from domestics - so I paid $2,940CAD for the 7yr/160,000 kilometer comprehensive warranty.

I have already recovered $1K on stuff that should never have failed at 50,000 miles (both wiring harnesses to rear door, front ball joint, tie rod, alignment). Also has a leaky rack and pinion - was not cold enough this winter for it to spit fluid out the passenger inner boot. That will be another $1K.

I got an '06 Mazda 3 GX sedan for $22K CAD all taxes in with cruise / 5-speed manual. What a well-made piece of machinery! 46MPG highway - just like is says on the sticker. The trunk is well-sized and should do the trick (as long as you keep the sub-wooder out of there). Bring your golf clubs to the Mazda dealership and test for yourself.

My sister-in-law drove it and pegged it as a $30K car (must forgive her - she drives a Cavalier).

Last thing - a good friend of mine bought a '92 Sunbird in 1993 (with two years of warranty left) for $10K. He jokingly told me that he added up his bills to date and it has cost him a further $15K in mandatory repairs to keep it on the road. His next trip is to the scrapper.

As long as the domestic manufacturers treat their products like razors (except they charge top dollar for both the razors and the razor blades) - anyone looking for a car owes it to themselves to consider all options.

After all - it is **you** who is going to pay for most of the problems in time and money - not the manufacturer/dealer.

Dave

Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Dakota_24

Why dont you go make love to your MAZDA on some other forum; say the KISSMEILUVMAZDAS.COM!
ORIGINAL: NaviDave

I have an 02 Dodge Ram QC 4x4. Far far too much stuff has needed fixing. Luckily - I knew to expect this from domestics - so I paid $2,940CAD for the 7yr/160,000 kilometer comprehensive warranty.

I have already recovered $1K on stuff that should never have failed at 50,000 miles (both wiring harnesses to rear door, front ball joint, tie rod, alignment). Also has a leaky rack and pinion - was not cold enough this winter for it to spit fluid out the passenger inner boot. That will be another $1K.

I got an '06 Mazda 3 GX sedan for $22K CAD all taxes in with cruise / 5-speed manual. What a well-made piece of machinery! 46MPG highway - just like is says on the sticker. The trunk is well-sized and should do the trick (as long as you keep the sub-wooder out of there). Bring your golf clubs to the Mazda dealership and test for yourself.

My sister-in-law drove it and pegged it as a $30K car (must forgive her - she drives a Cavalier).

Last thing - a good friend of mine bought a '92 Sunbird in 1993 (with two years of warranty left) for $10K. He jokingly told me that he added up his bills to date and it has cost him a further $15K in mandatory repairs to keep it on the road. His next trip is to the scrapper.

As long as the domestic manufacturers treat their products like razors (except they charge top dollar for both the razors and the razor blades) - anyone looking for a car owes it to themselves to consider all options.

After all - it is **you** who is going to pay for most of the problems in time and money - not the manufacturer/dealer.

Dave

Old 04-11-2006, 03:44 AM
savvy

Why do you think people are out to get you. The guy gave you some good "anecdata". He provides you some facts, and you tell him to "make love in the...". WTF? No one has attacked you. No one has personally ripped you (and I'm referring to all of you). Yet you choose to take cheap shots, because you feel slighted.

Send Daimler a message already. Tell them they need to direct their profits to R&D so they can make a car we (as Americans) can actually be proud of. In the meantime, I will do the research and buy the best car available. The data is out there, beyond this board. You might consider taking advantage of it.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:30 AM
Dakota_24

Well it seems to me that no matter what they build or have built; wouldnt pass your standards. They(Dodge, GM, Ford) have built a lot more cars that I am damn proud of, but since you've been wuss-ified to find it necessary to have "Lumbar, and passenger climate control" than no wonder you have no clue!

Why do you think people are out to get you. The guy gave you some good "anecdata". He provides you some facts, and you tell him to "make love in the...". WTF? No one has attacked you. No one has personally ripped you (and I'm referring to all of you). Yet you choose to take cheap shots, because you feel slighted.

Send Daimler a message already. Tell them they need to direct their profits to R&D so they can make a car we (as Americans) can actually be proud of. In the meantime, I will do the research and buy the best car available. The data is out there, beyond this board. You might consider taking advantage of it.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've already provided many sources for reviews on the Caliber. Don't just look at Motor Trend. Savvy only wants you to see the bad, not the good.

Anyone can come with instances of domestics going bad and good, just like anyone can come up with instances with foreign cars doing bad and good. Navidave has had a bad one.... Here is some good...

I'll quote myself from another thread...

My car, a 2004 Dodge Neon SE: About 35,000 miles. No problems yet. Not one. Same clutch too...

My mother's 2000 Durango SLT RWD: 110,000 miles, it's driven around the country to art shows. Not one major problem. A few very minior ones here and there, but that's to be expected on a vehicle over 100,000 miles.

My step-father's 1984 Dodge Ram Maxi-Van custom 250 (cargo van): 485,000 miles. Original motor and transmission. On her 2nd starter, Original interior, front is in decent shape and rear is not too good with rust.

The farthest has been to Haines, Alaska, which is 13,500 miles way from us.
She was used for my Step-Dad's work. He is an underwater photographer. He traveled with her all over the United States to about 75% of the states, to art shows.

We would have tried to get it to 500,000; but during last year, one of the hurricanes knocked a tree on top of it. We haven't fixed it yet.

Those are my experinces with Dodge. Excellent, if you ask me... Mopar at it's finest.
Dakota_24 - While savvy is trying to show only the bad and promote his beloved Mazda 3... Atleast come with some good arguments and let's show people some good info, instead of returning the bashing towards savvy...

savvy has no experience with the Caliber or Neon. He's only saying what he has read from one magazine. Give me a break. For the love of god, please make up your own minds people. Please look at several reviews, instead of one. Please look at mine and others good experiences with Dodge, instead of just navidave's bad one...

Or check out some opinions from owners like Vulnox or look at this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/m_441476/tm.htm

Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
VulnoX
Professional

So the 3 performs well, good for it. I would have actually bought one, but Mazda has not been good to me. I had a 2003 Miata for a short time, it was a limited edition with lazer or phazer or something like that blue. That thing saw more shop time than all my vehicles combined, and was small and uncomfortable with nothing really to offer. The Mazda dealer people were rude when I took it in to get everything fixed, and I got rid of the car within a month.

Also, I have not yet been able to build/price a Mazda 3 to be as cheap as my Caliber while offering AWD, Sirius, Sunroof, 2.4L Engine, CVT (which I do think is important after having one for awhile), Hatchback, Driver's convenience group, all that stuff.

It seems to me that the Dodge has more on the Mazda in R&D for cheaper. The Mazda offers Sunroof and Sirius, and you can get a hatchback, but you cant put it all together for the high $18,000 I paid for my Caliber.

Also from driving the Caliber it performs great, has great stopping time, beating anything I have owned before, and handles great.

Overall it beats my expectations, so it is a great car IMO.

That doesnt mean its better than the 3, but I also dont believe the 3 beats it in every possible way, each has their own pro's and con's, and the Caliber is a more than respectable entry into the field that will be refined as it matures, its only a few months old! The 3 wasnt always perfect from its inception, give it a rest until a year or so down the road when Chrysler reveals more of the roadmap they have planned for the Caliber. You dont set an older more established line against a 4 month old one, thats just dumb.

As for Car & Driver or MotorTrend or whoever, if those are your only sources of info then I dont believe any of your statements can be valid. I have not yet found that I agree with almost any road test of a vehicle done by magazines, and often find huge problems with their information.

I remember a review they did on the Sport Trac awhile back and reading it and shaking my head because some of the "Facts" they posted on it were VERY wrong, even simple stuff like options available on the truck.

Anyway, my parents both work at Ford World HQ, so I should be the first one here defending Mazda, but I try to call them as I see them, and although I am not bashing the 3, I dont believe it is hands down better than the Caliber.

Quick Reply: Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door