Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan windows stuck down

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 AM
zudo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan windows stuck down

'99 Grand Caravan SE

Passenger side window is stuck in the down position.
I know I have to replace the regulator and motor.
Until it comes, how can I get the window up? I tried jumping the motor direct from a battery, nothing happened...
Also, just for curiosity's sake, how do you manage to take off the door panel with bending the clips and breaking things?

Edit:

One more thing, are the regulators + motors off ebay okay? or should I go with the dorman that were reccommended in another thread from http://www.rockauto.com/ ?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
zudo
Default RE: Caravan windows stuck down

come on... Someone has to know how to pull the window up.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
zudo

I guess it doesn't matter now, we got it taped up with this hard plastic thingy, now we wait...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Remove the door panel and tap on the reg and motor with a hammer, with the key on and holding the switch to up.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 PM
joepeterson56
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find fairly inexpensive tools at almost any autoparts stores that are specially designed for poping the door panel clips out of the door. You can also find replacement clips in blister packages at most stores as well. No matter how careful you are when taking the panels off, usually at least one or 2 clips will ger mutilayed or worn so they don't hold tight when pushed back in.

I would suggest that since you need to replace the regulator anyway, start by drilling out the rivets, if it isn't bolted in. Then you can just slide the window up by hand and cut a board of a carboard tube(like from a roll of wrapping paper) to the right height, to wedge the window up in place till you put the new regulator in the door. I would also take the precaution of putting a stip of tape across the top inside of the glass and door frame in addition to the cardboard or wooden wedge under the glass.

As far as what regulator to go with, having owned an auto glass shop, and also having owned too many cars to list since the age of 15, I would go with the most reasonably priced regulator you can get. I have found that most OEM regulators get very slow and sluggish within about 3 to 4 years of age anyway, so try a cheaper one. The way I see it, once you have changed your first one, it is very easy to do if you need to again, so see if they cheapy lasts as long as the original.
Hope this helps you.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
NEONTHIS

I had the same probleme
there is two magnets with wire on them go to your local junkers and grab some new ones your window will work like new beleive me my window was down for two years befor i decided to try that

Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM
zudo

Something I noticed is that some of the clips that I got new still don't pop all the way in, could this be an affect of prying to hard?

Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 PM
zudo

Hurray! My window works! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Caravan windows stuck down