Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
thephife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems

I have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport and I love the thing I use it quit a bit for hauling my bands equipment and what not...anyways...

I was driving in the rain on the way to work and when I had exited and then proceeded to the service road, I went to accelerate and as soon as I had reached 1000 rpms the van acted like it had slipped out of gear.

So I pulled over turned the vehicle off sat for a second and then turned the car over and then it did the same thing.

So I tried to manually shift it, it still had the same results.

So I thought hmm...maybe reverse? Well I felt it go into gear but again when i tried to accelerate, not go.

Maybe the torque converter? Clogged filter? ECU?

Any leads will be great I alreayd have it in the shop but I am just curious...

Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
chopper
Veteran

Fluid level????

Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
thephife

yeah it was fine.....but it looked kind of weak I know its transparent but...it jsut looked wierd, so i had a friend of mine look at it, he used to be a mechanic and he said the fluid looked fine and didnt smell burnt...

Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
thephife

the other thing is that when I do get on the highway, and I get above 2000 rpm i have to take my foot off the gas to get it to shift...

Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a rebuild is due. It sounds like the front pump is failing causing the slipping.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You need to pull transmission codes and post them. But I would say you may have a broken planetary gear set. Remove the output speed sensor and ck for metal. If there is metal, then something broke.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
chopper
Veteran

Here's a link.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

I was ready for a rebuild until I read the article posted.The tranny was going into "limp mode" but a new input speed sensor fixed the problem for a couple of years.The van started acting up again and before taking it to the rebuild shop,I read the link again to see if there was anything I could do that was cheap first.
A few paragraphs down,a mention was made of cleaning the eight pin connector where it connects to the transmission.I did this two months and 3,000 miles ago and so far the problem is gone.
So,check out the link and maybe you can save some money.It could only be a solenoid pack or a corroded connection.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems