Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

how do i change the starter help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 PM
patrickstar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i change the starter help!

so i'm about to change the starter for my mom's 1998 grand caravan. i understand there are 2 bolts holding it in? after i unbolt those and unhook the power, am i good? any other complications? i read that you need to use a special wrench for the top bolt or something? need to get this done tomorow. thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
You will need a 15mm box end wrench, 13mm socket for the battery wire at the starter. When remove the starter, there also be a shim plate too.That shim plate needs to go back in with starter.Be careful with the plate, if it not installed right you will a lot of noise.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 AM
patrickstar

ok cool sounds pretty simple. thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Starter

Before you get too excited, slide under and take a good look. I just did one on my '96 3.3 liter and it was a PITA. The engineers were kind enough to put a motor mount in front of the starter so I was working blind in replacing (taking bolts out). Also the spacer (gasket ) has a flange on one side that goes against the bell housing and the bolts are long so do not worry about if they are ever coming out. You can do it but may qualify for a Purple Heart after words

Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 AM
patrickstar

Originally Posted by vabear
Before you get too excited, slide under and take a good look. I just did one on my '96 3.3 liter and it was a PITA. The engineers were kind enough to put a motor mount in front of the starter so I was working blind in replacing (taking bolts out). Also the spacer (gasket ) has a flange on one side that goes against the bell housing and the bolts are long so do not worry about if they are ever coming out. You can do it but may qualify for a Purple Heart after words
ooh man how long did it take you? was it really that hard to take the 2 bolts off? was the gasket hard to put back or something? still havent gotten the time to do it yet. thanks for the advice

Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Starter

Took about two hours and you may need some universals on the ratchet extension. Thee boltw were super long and I thought they were never coming out. The gasket may fall out as you take the bolts out, however the bolts go back through the gasket so that is not a problem. The biggest problem was working blind, a lot of this is by feel, so go under and take a look.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
patrickstar

ooh ok cool. im about to do it right now, but i see theres an outlet or something that's disconnected. i do not know what this is for and where it connects to. doesnt seem like it connects to the starter because i see no inlet. anyone help? thanks

i can't find the top bolt either. and i THINK i found the bottom bolt. any advice? can't see a thing down there, i know what you mean vabear.

Attached Thumbnails how do i change the starter help!-0_1.jpg  

Last edited by patrickstar; 04-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

That would have been for the knock sensor if you had on.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:41 AM
patrickstar

oh thanks! so i'm guessing the car does not have one? it should since it has the plug right? where would it be located? i didnt find anything like it around the area. the check engine light is on could this be why? i thought the CEL was on because of the bad starter.

Last edited by patrickstar; 04-03-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Starter never causes a check engine lamp

Quick Reply: how do i change the starter help!