Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New PCM and Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 AM
KimC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm going to see if I can be a little clearer, I realize I may not have said everything I should.

When vehicle first started acting up and it went into the shop, although the codes it was showing was different each time, the mechanic, based on the two frequent ones, replaced the crank shaft sensor.

Problem didn't correct. After talking with some others and researching, he went all the way in and checked the flex plate. It's fine. In putting the vehicle back together, he checked everything he could possibly imagine - including wiring. Could find nothing.

He admitted he was at a complete loss. That's when he said may be PCM.

That's when we opted to get the new PCM. Installed, and now new problems of blue smoke and strong gas smell. But every check the codes are same: P0335 and P0202.

Hope this helps clear some things up. I really do appreciate all the responses!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
KimC

Updates:

Received replacement PCM today. Installed. Blue smoke problems gone. Problem with starting and hard jerks when accelerating still present.

So, based on advice here, reinstalled original PCM. Same problems still present.

Only one code now, however. P0335. Which, from what I understand, is the crankshaft position sensor circuit.

We had the crankshaft sensor replaced when problems first started. Is it the wiring?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

So there was no more codes with 2nd PCM. But with the original you have code P0335. I starting to think you have a wiring problem, I would open up the wire harness that is routed around the power steering reservoir.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM
KimC

2nd PCM replacement had P0335 code, but was acting just as the original PCM did - which is why the original was just put back on. Starting from scratch.

Fortunately we've located a mechanic who formerly worked at a Dodge dealership, as well as his wife drives a Dodge Caravan. Since we're at our wits end with what feels like a runaround, we're going to take it to him.

But, MT, I'm betting you're right on the money. I'll be sure to come back and update as soon as I know.

Thanks so much to everyone.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kim,

the crank sensor code is relating to the wiring not the sensor.
have your mechanic check the crank sensor plug for voltage and ground, then delve into the harness if you find a fault.

Quick Reply: New PCM and Blue Smoke