Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Output speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 PM
jonesoboneso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output speed sensor

Hey Guys I am after some help,

I have a 1999 caravan and all of a sudden the speedo and odometer stopped working, the check engine light is on and i cant get above 50kph (its an automatic)

I guess this means it is in limp mode, i have done a diagnostics test on the instrument cluster and no error codes appear and all the dials seem to move properly.

I have been researching this for a while and i believe it is the out put speed sensor...

Any clue if this is a correct assumption or could it be something else, i have located the output speed sensor from looking under the hood, but if i wanted to change it could i do it by putting the van on some ramps?

I have heard it is an easy procedure,I am no mechanic but if it's not too technical I can probably do it. I know its a cheap part, I just dont want to get ripped off at a garage...

Thanks in advance

Chris

Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
If you remove the air filter box out of the way and you can get to it from the top.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 PM
jonesoboneso

okay thanks. how would i check it with a multimeter... should i disconnect it and remove it to test it or leave it in the transmission and test it?

also do i need to disconnect the battery?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you are getting a output sensor code, try replacing it first and to clear the code. Disconnect the battery.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Cloak
Rookie

there is no way to actually test that sensor with a multimeter.....it receives a magnetic pulse and transmits a signal.

you can actually get to it better from in front of the driver side tire......I just replaced one on my wifes Town and Country.

There are 2 sensors side by side ,,,,,,the Output Sensor is the one on the OUTSIDE.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes there is a way to test the sensor. Put your DVOM on DC volts and with both leads on the sensor, using a piece of of metal. Pass it by the tip of the sensor. you should get a reading, it may not much. If it stays at zero, then its no good.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Yes there is a way to test the sensor. Put your DVOM on DC volts and with both leads on the sensor, using a piece of of metal. Pass it by the tip of the sensor. you should get a reading, it may not much. If it stays at zero, then its no good.

I'll be damned. Why didn't I think of that. Great tip MT.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Cloak
Rookie
Wink

Originally Posted by master tech
I tried that...I was also told that if the tip of the sensor is still "magnetic" that it would be good....

Turns out, both ways I tested it, it was good, but after I changed it, cleared the code and completed the Drive Cycle, all was well..........
Not doubting you MT by any means.....just my 2 cents bro...you know how cars and trucks can be

Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You use a other piece of metal and pass it by the tip, don't let it touch the tip. This breaks the magnetic field.

Quick Reply: Output speed sensor