Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Emergency Fuel filter/gas tank help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Philly2.4L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

??????????????

Old 09-05-2011, 12:34 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Well I think philly2.4L and 2001 in the upper right corner may tell me the member has a 2.4L engine and a 2001 year van. But thats just a guess. Hey mustang guy did you get the problem fix yet?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Philly yes if that nipple is ON the fuel pump you will need a pump. On those filters....the ones for short wheel base and long will be different part numbers, at least the Mopar ones are.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Philly2.4L

No the problems not fixed yet.It was weird i was about to finish installing the new filter i had the farthest left and farthest right hand fittings in and when i went to plug the middle on in it was too small??.So in haste i unplugged the righthand one and as i iwas trying to unplug the far left one it snapped,and i yelled F*Ck at the top of my lungs!!.So i take the filter back to r&s strauss and the old fart didnt give two sh*ts about my pump now busted.So i ask to see the a 2000 model and a 2002 model filter and neither of them looked right??.Its the middle plug fitting thats too small on them tahts the problem.What should i do,can i get the pump and filter as set anywhere?? If so can you point me where to go??Also since the tank is already loose,how do i get that big plug to unhook on the pump.Sorry for so many questions.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

How much gas is in th tank? Because if you broke off one the nipples the fuel pump would need to be replaced. To remove the connector if that is what you are asking. There is a red bar that you need to slide to unlock the tab to remove the connector from the pump.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Philly2.4L

No theres not much gas in it.I saw the red tab your tslking about.Ok like i said is there a combo kit out there soi can make sure this **** fits???

Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. sold seperately.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Philly2.4L

So do you think the guy gave me the filter??The middle connector (on the new filter)was just a little smaller than the original one.When isaw it didnt fit,thats what started the process of me removing the connector that broke off that far left nipple.Now is changing the fuel pump that hard? cause i already have the tank dropped.I have done alot of work to my Mustang,this is my family car though and never touched it before except for brakes and rotors.Ive seen a few pumps on ebay,should not go that route??

Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unplug the connector and take off the lock ring that holds the pump into the tank.

REMOVAL

WARNING: RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. SERVICE VEHICLES IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS AND AVOID IGNITION SOURCES. NEVER SMOKE WHILE SERVICING THE VEHICLE.
  1. Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure.
  2. Disconnect negative cable from auxiliary jumper terminal.
  3. Drain fuel tank, refer to the Fuel Tank procedure in the Fuel Delivery section.
  4. Remove fuel tank, refer to the Fuel Tank removal section.
  5. Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.
  6. Using a brass punch and hammer remove locknut to release pump module (FUEL PUMP MODULE LOCKING RING). WARNING: THE FUEL RESERVOIR OF THE FUEL PUMP MODULE DOES NOT EMPTY OUT WHEN THE TANK IS DRAINED. THE FUEL IN THE RESERVOIR MAY SPILL OUT WHEN THE MODULE IS REMOVED.
  7. Remove fuel pump module and O-ring from tank (Fuel Pump Module Removal) Discard O-ring.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Philly2.4L

Now this brass punch and hammer buisness,can i use something else like a hammer and a flathead???

Quick Reply: Emergency Fuel filter/gas tank help!!!