Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

van h20 pump pulley does Hula dance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:24 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default van h20 pump pulley does Hula dance?

06 grand caravan 3.8

This has been occurring for about 5 months or so.

I have been hearing a sound under hood sounding more like a laboring, of engine, no tapping,whining or bearing sound. Although small chirping occurs until a spray couple ounces on belt.

I took off the belt, started engine. Sounds of chirping and engine laboring went away, and replaced with a great engine sound that purrs. That is the sound I want but with the belt on. Again this has been going on for about 5 mts..

While belt was off I spun pulleys. All appeared to be good except the water pump. It wobbled from left to right. All bolts tight.

I will replace pump. Saw 2 youtube videos. One mechanic remove pump without dropping the motor mount. Another commented you absolute never have to drop mounts. I am leary on dropping mount and jacking up engine under the oil pan with a 2x4 board on top of jack.

QUESTION: Could that wobble be making the engine laboring sound?
What is name of the pump of your choice (manufacturer, other then dealers)?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

An A/c compressor will do the same thing. Causing the engine to labor.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
scotter5
Veteran

The sound occurs with the a/c off. The engine purrs when i remove the belt from pulleys. It begins to produce a laboring sound when belt is on.

QUESTION: Does this comparison test (belt on/off) eliminate chance for internal engine damage, since laboring sound is eliminated with belt off.

So, what would a seasoned mechanic do to id the laboring sound of the engine: The laboring sound under the engine is difficult to id as its source. I just know the pump- pulley wobbles.

Saw video that showed a guy replacing h20 pump on same van as mine. He said, even though the 3 holes of pulley aligns to new pump it may still wobble due to a bad pump. He said check it after putting it back on.

QUESTION:Is there way to check that the pump won't wobble before putting in on the van? I don't want to TRY and return pump with oring used or do the work again if not needed.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If the pulley is wobbling with the belt on. You can try replacing the water pump. And the pump can only bolt up one way. Be sure the bolts on the pulley are tight.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 AM
papaduck
Professional

It may not be the pump but could be the pulley is bent. No need to use a jack, just lower the engine mount on the passenger side. The 2 bolts are long enough to lower the engine to get the pump out.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:25 PM
scotter5
Veteran

I don't want to remove the bolts all the way from the mounts. Just 5 threads or so, Right?

So I won't need a jack under, thats good, so can enough torque be placed on those 3 bolt heads to actually bring up engine??

Your right, There is a possibility that the pulley could be bent. Once i remove pump and pulley is there a way to check if the pulley is bent before putting in back on engine?

What has been your experience? the van is going on 6 years old, should i heated water pump bolts with a torch before removing. I would hate like heck to break them off. I never tried to get a broken out.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
papaduck
Professional

Just loosen the mount bolts enough to lower the engine to get the pump and pulley out. The bolts will lift the engine easily when tightened. I would tighten each a little at a time and rotate between the bolts.

Remove the lower shroud that covers the passenger side of the engine before you lower the engine. The pulley will need to be taken loose from the shaft and rotated 1/3 turn and pushed back against the pump. The bolts should not break in order to get them out of the block.

Once out, spin the pump and see if the shaft is bent with out the pulley. If you can't see any wobble but you still think the shaft is bent and not the pulley then you will need to use a dial indicator. Or just replace the pump and pulley.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Thanks -I won't put a jack under the car just loosen the motor mount bolts just enough, maybe 5, 6 turns.. I don't know exactly what a dial indicator is. I know i have seen wood dials at lowes etc. I used one to put down a mica on counter top, to roll it.

I can't picture in my mind, placing a dial inside the pulley and spinning it due to the inner circle having 3 divisions for the purpose of slipping pulley over the pump for union. Unless you mean like find a dial that large in circumference, but where would I find that exact size anyway. Thank you. I sure hope i can tell if it is pulley once pulled off.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 PM
papaduck
Professional

A dial indicator looks like a clock with only one hand and with a small probe out one side. When the probe is placed in contact with a round shaft and the shaft is turned it will measure any lateral movement of the shaft. Of course the pump and the dial indicator must be fixed so they will not move. Most indicators measure in 1000s of an inch.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
scotter5
Veteran

I like that dial idea. not sure i can buy one, for a one time use. i'm out of work right now. maybe, but doubt i can rent one or fabricate something or something that i can find do to something similar but probably sure to lose the tolerance of criteria that can measure.

i know a guy that has a plastic calibrator. when i measure it, i don't know how much tolerance is acceptable and the pulley still be able be able to spin without wobbling.

thanks for communicating--i am learning.

Quick Reply: van h20 pump pulley does Hula dance?