Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

HELP! Please! Old Gas killed 2008 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Andernamen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Please! Old Gas killed 2008 Caravan

Stupid, yes, didn't think it would do this much damage. So far, the dealer vacuumed out the tank, changed the spark plugs and wires, and recommended a fuel line flush, new fuel pump and injector service. Total cost would have been $1300. Would old gas really kill the pump? Can the tank be pulled and then screen cleaned? The van runs, but misfires really bad. What options do I have? The code is P0300 and P0306. I pulled the fuel rail and cleaned up the injectors as well as I could, but they look okay and I don't think they are the problem. What can I check and how?

Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Where did you get this "old" gas? Heck no it shouldn't hurt the pump at all or anything else for that matter unless there was some questionable substance in that gas...or whatever it might have been. Now, if you ran your engine for extended time, it's possible you could have done some damage to the engine. Judging by the codes alone, I would say to hone in on #6. It may be the cylinder causing the P0300. Pull the plug and compare to another cylinder and do a compression test.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless someone dump a pound of sugar/syrup in ur gas tank, dropping and cleaning the tank is over dramatic.
When we have the BP f*ck up on contaminated fuel, we just unhook the fuel link, extend the hose, run it to a bucket, and jump the fuel pump relay to empty out the tank.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Why did they do the plugs & wires? Was it just time, or did they say it was related to the fuel?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Andernamen

The fuel was OLD! A few years and had been sitting in a disabled cars tank. I figured if I mixed it with new gas and some sea foam, I'd be fine. It fouled the plugs with carbon, which is why they wanted to replace the plugs and wires. I'm afraid the exhaust valves also have carbon build-up, and maybe this is causing the misfire? Am I way off base? I'll do a compression test next. If that checks out, may replace the injectors?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nearly impossible to carbonize valves that way. Focus on the compression test and if that does check out then look at getting the injectors professionally bench cleaned. THis should be a fuel/compression issue, not likely you damaged anything electrically.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Andernamen

Okay guys, found the problem. Zero compression in #6 cylinder. Prior to bad gas, everything was running fine. I think I now need a head job. Does anyone know any magic bullet for decarbonizing a valve? Is there a solution besides pulling the head? How about Sea Foam directly through a vacuum line and intake? Any chance this will work?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Andernamen
Okay guys, found the problem. Zero compression in #6 cylinder. Prior to bad gas, everything was running fine. I think I now need a head job. Does anyone know any magic bullet for decarbonizing a valve? Is there a solution besides pulling the head? How about Sea Foam directly through a vacuum line and intake? Any chance this will work?
Pull the valve cover and see if the rockers and push rods are ok first. You don't want to grenade the engine from lack of knowing. If you have ZERO compression, it's not carbon. You either have a valve stuck open (or intake stuck closed) or a hole in the piston.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Andernamen

TNtech,

You nailed it! Push rod was bent and displaced at the #6 cylinder. Unfortunately, no one local had a new one, so the shop straightened the old one and put it back in. The shop told me the old gas must have had a lot of water or other non-combustible components causing a hydro lock in #6. All back togehter now the van runs again. Thank god, no head job! Thanks for all the replies. Should I trust that the pushrod is okay to keep in there, or should I look at getting a new one in pronto? Looks easy to get to since it is in the #6 on the front head.

Quick Reply: HELP! Please! Old Gas killed 2008 Caravan