Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New Owner: Transmission Fluid & Manual Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Ferrino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner: Transmission Fluid & Manual Question

Hi. Just picked up a very nice 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with 108K miles.

To the best of my knowledge, the only maintenance performed to date has been routine engine oil and filter changes - the engine seems to run very well.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to change the transmission fluid now? We obtained a quote from a trusted garage for $190 to do this - does that sound right for the fluid and labor involved? Although I like to do my own wrenching, I've never worked on an auto tranny before - is it really as simple as dropping the pan, draining the fluid, replacing the filter and then resealing the pan and filling? If so, I will probably do it myself.

I do see some people mentioning a "flush" - which I believe is some sort of pressurized introduction of fresh fluid to force out the old. It seems to have many detractors and would be something I can't DIY, so I'm inclined to avoid this.

Also - what would recommend as the best source for a service/repair manual? Is the Haynes for this vehicle any good or is there a better option with diagrams etc...?

Many thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never done a tranny fluid/filter change on a 4th gen van but it can't be much different then others. Yes, it's that simple. Easily doable. To avoid any possible fluid spill I like to pump the fluid out the dipstick before knocking the pan loose. Some swear by using RTV sealant and others use a gasket. I believe Mopar even makes a multiple use gasket for a few extra bucks. The pros recommend no flushes on higher mileage vehicles. Yours is borderline. Use ATF+4 fluid and only ATF+4. As a reminder - only use ATF+4 fluid.

The factory manuals are best. Might find them cheaper on Ebay. Chilton/Haynes are fine for many jobs but can lack detail. For better wiring diagrams you can subscribe to Alldata.com. If you like free stuff (who doesn't) the EBSCO/ARRC data base available at home via your local library is packed with good info on just about any make and model out there.

Last edited by Cougar41; 02-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Ferrino

Thanks! My main concern, not being familiar with auto trannys, was whether I could possibly do any harm by dropping the pan and changing the fluid - that does not seem to be the case.

I was surprised when I learned you had to drop the pan to drain the fluid - is there any reason they don't have a drain bung like on the engine's oil sump?

I think I will pick up the Haynes manual for the time being.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Why no plug? I would guess to encourage you to take it to the dealership to have it done. Dorman sells a pan with a plug for around $25.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Ferrino

Originally Posted by Cougar41
I would guess to encourage you to take it to the dealership to have it done.
Why do you say that?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ferrino
Why do you say that?
Some will see there's no plug and realize the job just got the potential to be a real PITA so they take it to a dealership to avoid the headache. The potential PITA being dealing with a stuck pan, banging on it to get it to come loose and when it does the fluid goes all over the place. That's why I suck the fluid out the dipstick with a pump before I knock the pan loose.

Last edited by Cougar41; 02-05-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Ferrino

Thanks - the pump idea sounds like a good one. Which type/model do you use?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

I use one of those mechanical rotary pumps you put on a drill. Takes a bit to get it going though and I had to get additional tubing to fit the pump and the dip stick. Ideally I'd like a pump you can connect to the battery.

Quick Reply: New Owner: Transmission Fluid & Manual Question