Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2014 Grand Caravan squealing from engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014 | 09:24 PM
Fabian4
|
Amateur
Default 2014 Grand Caravan squealing from engine!!!

I have a 2014 Grand Caravan SE 3.6 with 3,400 miles on it and took it to the dealer today for a squealing noise coming from the front part of the engine where the drive belt is. I was thinking it was a tensioner pulley or some other pulley. Well I noticed the noise when I bought the van new in September but wasn't worried cause it wasn't that loud thinking ok, new engine everything must be tight. Well the noise got louder over time for the vehicles 1st 3,000 miles and decided this isn't normal so I took it to the dealer. Turns out to be a bad defective water pump bearing so Dodge replaced the whole water pump under warranty. This is nuts for a water pump @ 3,400 miles being messed up! Anyone had this experience with their new car truck or van equipped with the Pentastar 3.6 V6?

Old 03-26-2014 | 09:39 PM
Lscman
Veteran

You are seriously complaining about a defect that was fixed for free???? How would you feel about a costly repair (not under warranty) that did NOT fix your van???????? That's something I've dealt with lol.

The factory warranty is intended to cover problems relating to premature failure. I think a bad water pump bearing would fit that description.

Dodge does not manufacture bearings and VERY few are made in the USA anymore. The defective bearing would most likely have been sourced from Germany, China or Japan. Nothing is manufactured with a zero defect rate.

Last edited by Lscman; 03-26-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2014 | 09:42 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

because its new does not mean it caint fail.happens/

Old 03-26-2014 | 09:43 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Lscman
Assuming you didn't run over a small child or animal, I would take the vehicle straight to a dealership to investigate the squealing. Why would you ask an owner forum about that when your vehicle is brand new with full factory warranty?????????????? Noises of that sort could be ANYTHING mechanical....serious, or not.
Just curious. Did you read Fabian4's post? There's nothing to investigate. The water pump was bad. As for "Why would you ask", it's obvious he's wandering if this is a common problem on his brand new $30K van. I'd be wondering too if I forked over the big bucks and had a problem right off the bat.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2014 | 09:52 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Just curious. Did you read Fabian4's post? There's nothing to investigate. The water pump was bad. As for "Why would you ask", it's obvious he's wandering if this is a common problem on his brand new $30K van. I'd be wondering too if I forked over the big bucks and had a problem right off the bat.

Sorry, I thought the repair was free. The dealer should cover repairs until the warranty expires.

Last edited by Lscman; 03-26-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2014 | 09:57 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Sorry, I thought the repair was free.
OFGS! - Read it a third time. IT WAS FIXED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!

Here. I'll quote it for you - "Turns out to be a bad defective water pump bearing so Dodge replaced the whole water pump under warranty."

Old 03-26-2014 | 10:29 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by Cougar41
OFGS! - Read it a third time. IT WAS FIXED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!

Here. I'll quote it for you - "Turns out to be a bad defective water pump bearing so Dodge replaced the whole water pump under warranty."

Please read my post. "I thought the repair was free". This is very similar to saying "fixed under warranty", no????

Put another way:
Free repair = warranty fix

New vehicles have a warranty to repair premature defects. Many of us don't have warranty coverage. Some people get stuck paying for ineffective repairs that fix NOTHING. That is something to get upset about.

I thought Fabian was trying to investigate water pump bearing failures, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Lscman; 03-26-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2014 | 07:57 AM
Fabian4
|
Amateur
Wink

You are seriously complaining about a defect that was fixed for free???? How would you feel about a costly repair (not under warranty) that did NOT fix your van???????? That's something I've dealt with lol.

The factory warranty is intended to cover problems relating to premature failure. I think a bad water pump bearing would fit that description.

Dodge does not manufacture bearings and VERY few are made in the USA anymore. The defective bearing would most likely have been sourced from Germany, China or Japan. Nothing is manufactured with a zero defect rate.
Listen here!!!! Duh yes they fixed it under warranty my complaint is that if this problem is common on NEW Dodges!!! Read the post and sorry you had a pile that had to actually fork money but in my f'n case it's a brand new car with only 3,400 miles with **** defective on it!! A new car should be defective free! Yes maybe the parts are imported but still mopar is responsible for quality control!

Old 03-27-2014 | 08:20 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

LIKE I said and don't see why people are arguing about. Anything new can break. There is no where written that you get 1 or 2 or 3 or forever lifetime warranty on anything, everything is manufactured and the % that come out of factories around the world being german made or china made theres going to be defects, so please live with it. that's whats warranties are for. caint expect them to warranty it for life? its fixed and that's what counts.

Originally Posted by Fabian4
Listen here!!!! Duh yes they fixed it under warranty my complaint is that if this problem is common on NEW Dodges!!! Read the post and sorry you had a pile that had to actually fork money but in my f'n case it's a brand new car with only 3,400 miles with **** defective on it!! A new car should be defective free! Yes maybe the parts are imported but still mopar is responsible for quality control!

Old 03-27-2014 | 10:53 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Fabian4

Of course it is common on Dodge. It is also common on Ford, GM, Toyota, or BMW. All machines made by man are not perfect and will fail someday. Heck, last year NASA has to replace the coolant pump in the International Space station. What's the big deal?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2014 Grand Caravan squealing from engine!!!