Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 62TE 6spd Compounder failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 62TE 6spd Compounder failures

My 2008 GC SXT 6spd transmission blew last weekend. I'm getting the notorious 3rd and 5th gear ratio error codes and the vehicle has no forward or reverse engagement at all.

The failures of the early 62TE 6spd seem to be due to a weak compounder assembly (2 speed planetary unit).

Does anyone have information about what upgrades were made to the transmission compounder assembly and when this running change was made in their product line? I see a lot of 2008 compounder threads and also some 2009 threads, but none from 2010 and up. Was the upgrade made in 2010?

What is the scope of the defect? I read that a chinese-sourced bearing in the compounder unit didn't wear well. Some other threads discuss the hub or shell assembly which is possibly made of inferior materials which lead to deformation and explosion under heavy use. Other compounder threads seem to blame factory-set clearances. Rebuilders like to reuse hard parts such as compounder hubs. Can the compounder bearings be separately replaced during a rebuild or would the latest complete 62TE compounder assembly need to be ordered from Chrysler to play it safe?

Any insight appreciated.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The underdrive compounders are the same part from 2008 thru 2014. Yes the bearings and cups can be serviced.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
The underdrive compounders are the same part from 2008 thru 2014. Yes the bearings and cups can be serviced.

Good to hear the compounder from 2008 thru 2014 is the same. Perhaps I should have asked slightly different questions.

Did Chrysler attribute early compounder failures strictly to software that led to harsh operation and/or improper assembly clearances that increased whine and wear, as opposed to marginal parts quality? I believe the mfr has acknowledged the abnormal compounder failure rate on early gen 5's.

Has the part# for a compounder assembly changed since job 1 which I believe was somewhere around 2007? If so, that would indicate a significant change in part design or specs. I know the part# on the front wheel bearings didn't change either, but the early 2008 bearings were sure as heck faulty and failed like clockwork around 80K mi lol.

thanks for insight

Old 06-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Lscman
Veteran

my pc hibernated with the as-found codes stored!!

p0733= 3rd gear ratio error
p0735 = 5th gear ratio error
p083B = LC pressure switch rationality
p0846 = 2/4 pressure switch rationality

Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Lscman
Veteran

It looks to me like conventional "bearings and cups" are used for the differential gear assembly.

The UD compounder appears to use thrust washers for setting end-play clearance with thrust needle bearings and sleeve needle bearings, no cups.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=703209

Old 06-22-2014, 01:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The early compounders failed because the turning torque was too tight on the bearings and cause them to fail.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Lscman
Veteran

The early compounders failed because the turning torque was too tight on the bearings and cause them to fail.

Thanks!

I took the pan off and the transmission definitely failed. A couple long pieces of square-ish coil wire metal are sticking out of the clutch assembly above the filter. It almost looks like a couple retainer clips got ejected. They are jambed in the clutch, not loose. The pan fluid looks like metal paint and it has some metal pieces in it too.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

master do you know when they did the update to correct this? hope 2010's don't have the older specs.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
master do you know when they did the update to correct this? hope 2010's don't have the older specs.
As is typical, Chrysler Corporation has done everything possible to keep this factory defect issue under wraps. The compounder unit is separately manufactured and sourced from a 3rd party supplier. Also I've read that the 3rd party supplier changed ownership so it's possible that Chrysler sued them or they had some financial issues. They have not released any information about when this running update was made to manufacturing...probably to avoid giving owners some clarity. It would be nice to have a history of running part# changes since 2007 to review. Transparency only invites free updates thru consumer pressure or class-action. It is not a safety issue, so they are not obligated to recall and fix it like the GM ignition switch mess.

I have seen plenty of compounder failure threads for 2008 and 2009, but not 2010. Not sure if this is due to the average fleet mileage on newer vans being lower or the mfg defect being corrected. Original owners with the lifetime warranty had better get their 5 yr drivetrain inspections done like clockwork to maintain coverage. If you miss one inspection you'll be eating the repair bill, like I'm doing.

The compounders can be rebuiilt without transmission removal. The cover plate behind the driver's side wheel can be removed for access. A couple specialty tools are sold on ebay to set the clearances. A complete, NEW UD compounder costs about $250 thru Chysler parts department. However this appproach only works if you proactively rebuld the compounder BEFORE it blows. I doubt if many folks do that unless they object to whining noises which mine didn't have.

Last edited by Lscman; 06-23-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Ruby Sifford
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lscman
As is typical, Chrysler Corporation has done everything possible to keep this factory defect issue under wraps. The compounder unit is separately manufactured and sourced from a 3rd party supplier. Also I've read that the 3rd party supplier changed ownership so it's possible that Chrysler sued them or they had some financial issues. They have not released any information about when this running update was made to manufacturing...probably to avoid giving owners some clarity. It would be nice to have a history of running part# changes since 2007 to review. Transparency only invites free updates thru consumer pressure or class-action. It is not a safety issue, so they are not obligated to recall and fix it like the GM ignition switch mess.

I have seen plenty of compounder failure threads for 2008 and 2009, but not 2010. Not sure if this is due to the average fleet mileage on newer vans being lower or the mfg defect being corrected. Original owners with the lifetime warranty had better get their 5 yr drivetrain inspections done like clockwork to maintain coverage. If you miss one inspection you'll be eating the repair bill, like I'm doing.

The compounders can be rebuiilt without transmission removal. The cover plate behind the driver's side wheel can be removed for access. A couple specialty tools are sold on ebay to set the clearances. A complete, NEW UD compounder costs about $250 thru Chysler parts department. However this appproach only works if you proactively rebuld the compounder BEFORE it blows. I doubt if many folks do that unless they object to whining noises which mine didn't have.
I have a 2012 Chrysler Towne & Country and just had the dealership put in a new transmission because of the compounder falling apart. My vehicle has 92,000 miles on it. My guess is that in the next few years you will hear more and more of these failing on 2010 and up models. Thankfully, I spent the additional money for the Lifetime Extended Warranty. Otherwise, my bill would have been almost $4,000! I only had to pay my $100 deductible.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 62TE 6spd Compounder failures