Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan Horn not working& ABS light is on

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 AM
yaqngie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan Horn not working& ABS light is on

So I was coming home from Maryland while on Christmas journey and during my trip the ABS light came on the dash and a notification for the traction control came on as well. Hitting the traction control button on the steering column did not help.
I ended up stopping at a gas station and fueling up and when I restarted the van the light was off and the traction control button worked as normal.
This was the 23rd/24th night/morning.

Christmas eve morning I am driving and there are no lights present but my horn is not working. Neither when hitting the steering wheel or by hitting the panic button on the key fob. I can hear a clicking from the relay/fuse box. Fuse is fine. Even put in a new one to double check, no help. I played around with the relays and after leaving it unplugged for a few minutes and plugging the relay back in, the horn worked with no issue. Drove home Christmas night no issue with the horn, no lights on the dash.

Christmas day horn is back to not working. Checked the fuses and relay all seem fine. Relay trick did not work again this time. Still hear the clicking noise from the fuse/relay box when hitting the horn button.

Today the ABS light and traction control is back present and will not go away.

Some research that I have done:
**Checked the fuses & relays (all seem fine)
**Clock Spring (all problems with clock spring indicate that it is an airbag light not an ABS light, and that the horn as well as the cruise control does not work. My cruise is currently working and I have not seen an airbag light)
Was thinking maybe the horn is just bad but just seems odd that all this would occur together.
**Someone reported that the ABS light might be an issue with a wheel sensor, there has been a slight shake when braking. Feels like it has been coming from the rear of the van. No engine light present other than that ABS light.
Plan on taking it to see if there are any codes present that will help narrow this issue down tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:12 PM
yaqngie

Anyone got any recommendations?

Still haven't been able to get it up somewhere to read the codes!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:02 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't been able to find any TSBs that could be related to what you experienced. Keep us posted when you get the codes read, and I'll check again based on that.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First try jumping the pin 30 and 87 pins of the relay in the box. The pin numbers are on the relay. If the horn works, try switching the relay with another. If it doesn't work, lean toward the horns.

The ABS is probably a separate issue, bad wheel speed sensors are common. Have the codes read. If it has a circuit based code, it is likely a wiring issue. If it has a performance code, replace the sensor itself.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 PM
yaqngie

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I haven't been able to find any TSBs that could be related to what you experienced. Keep us posted when you get the codes read, and I'll check again based on that.
So took the van up on Sunday and nothing is showing code wise. ABS light is still on with the trac control off showing as well on the dash.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 PM
yaqngie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
First try jumping the pin 30 and 87 pins of the relay in the box. The pin numbers are on the relay. If the horn works, try switching the relay with another. If it doesn't work, lean toward the horns.

The ABS is probably a separate issue, bad wheel speed sensors are common. Have the codes read. If it has a circuit based code, it is likely a wiring issue. If it has a performance code, replace the sensor itself.
I think I saw a youtube video of this bypass that you are showing. I will have to try and pull it up again and check it out. Any particular size wire to use for the jumping as I have never done that before.
I have switched the relays out with no help, just FYI but I will try this as a rule out anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the sensor, any idea on what it cost to get something like that fixed. I am wondering if it is possibly the bearing going bad as there is that wobble/vibrate when braking.

Hope to get this all fixed before going to Florida later this month.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yaqngie
So took the van up on Sunday and nothing is showing code wise. ABS light is still on with the trac control off showing as well on the dash.
I see. Hopefully Tizzy1's suggestion works for you. If not, I would recommend a trip to the dealership. If you decide to do so and would like assistance scheduling an appointment, please feel free to reach out to me.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just use a paper clip and pliers. Just give it a quick touch and see if the horn blows.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like your horn has failed. I would bypass the relay as Tizzy said first. If the horn works by jumping out in the relay panel, the the relay may have burnt contacts inside.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM
yaqngie

So here is an update. The wiggle in the back was a bad rotar (should have known). Got that fixxed.

The horn issue is still an issue. Went to a local pick and pull and grabbed two horns today and tried them on my van and they still do not work.

Tried this trick in this video as well.

Still not working. Still get a clicking noise when pressing the horn. My mechanic told me that means the wiring from the steering wheel to the relay box is good so that it must be from the box to the horn itself.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan Horn not working& ABS light is on