Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2016 Grand Caravan Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Umberto Moneta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Grand Caravan Engine noise

Hi everybody,
I just purchased a 2016 Grand Caravan, 3.6l engine with 80000 miles. The dealer told me that the loud noise from the engine is very normal for this age/mileage van but I think it's a little loud and normal. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I attached a recording of the engine. I'm planning to keep the van for a while so would like to make sure that the engine is in good running shape. That loud ticking noise seems a bit excessive! Bad rocker arm? Timing chain?

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Dodge Caravan engine noise.mp3 (479.4 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 04:05 PM
richardyoo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my 2013 since it was new, and it sounds nothing like that... my unprofessional opinion is that it sounds like there's something wrong with yours in a major way.

I'd get a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like bad rocker which has been known to fail on 3.6L Pentastar. Using a good quality oil is a must in these engines and I don't mean Mobil 1.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:58 PM
letsplaydad

Originally Posted by Mopar340
Sounds like bad rocker which has been known to fail on 3.6L Pentastar. Using a good quality oil is a must in these engines and I don't mean Mobil 1.
Mopar340,
Which oil do you recommend ? I have a 2019 and am researching a good oil for this vehicle. I've always used Mobil 1 in other vehicles.
Is it not good for the Pentastart engine?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2020, 04:03 PM
richardyoo

FWIW I've been using royal purple on my 2013... so far so good...

Old 09-09-2020, 04:20 PM
letsplaydad

Originally Posted by richardyoo
FWIW I've been using royal purple on my 2013... so far so good...
Yeah, I've always heard good things about RP. My dad uses it in his Chevy 1500 transmission. He pulls a camper and swears the trans temps are much cooler with RP.

I may try it on my GC!
Thanks,

Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Mopar340
Veteran

I used Castrol Edge since day one in my 2013 GC I've got over 135,000 miles and the engine run and sounds as smooth as the day I took it out of the dealership. I've been using Castrol oil for over 40 years from having my car serviced at local speed shop by high performance mechanics. There's a good reason that most high performance and high end car manufacturer recommend Castrol like Porche, Audi, Mercedes. Independant oil lab test reports shows that Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance had very low numbers on Anti-Wear additives in their oils. Anyone using this oil can expect engine component wear there's plenty of good oils on the market today to be buying garbage oil like Mobil 1 don't be fool by large corporation marketing.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:02 AM
letsplaydad

I used Castrol Edge since day one in my 2013 GC I've got over 135,000 miles and the engine run and sounds as smooth as the day I took it out of the dealership. I've been using Castrol oil for over 40 years from having my car serviced at local speed shop by high performance mechanics. There's a good reason that most high performance and high end car manufacturer recommend Castrol like Porche, Audi, Mercedes. Independant oil lab test reports shows that Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance had very low numbers on Anti-Wear additives in their oils. Anyone using this oil can expect engine component wear there's plenty of good oils on the market today to be buying garbage oil like Mobil 1 don't be fool by large corporation marketing.
I agree, I've always liked Castrol too. I'll probably use it or Royal Purple.
Just curious, which oil filter do you like/use? In the past I've used Mobil 1, Wix and K&N.....(the versions designed for extended/synthetic oils.)

Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Mopar340
Veteran

Royal Purple is a very good oil but complaints I've heard is mostly because of the oil being purple is very hard to distinguish how dirty the oil actually is on the dipstick. As far as filter I like and used Wix, K&N, Purolator, and Bosch. Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labratories Purolator and Bosch are made and owned by German filter company Mann+Hummel. Fram filters are the ones to avoid unlike years ago Fram use to make quality filters but not lately their filters are made by Allied Signal.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:02 PM
richardyoo

Royal Purple is a very good oil but complaints I've heard is mostly because of the oil being purple is very hard to distinguish how dirty the oil actually is on the dipstick. As far as filter I like and used Wix, K&N, Purolator, and Bosch. Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labratories Purolator and Bosch are made and owned by German filter company Mann+Hummel. Fram filters are the ones to avoid unlike years ago Fram use to make quality filters but not lately their filters are made by Allied Signal.
Whoever said that you can't tell how dirty RP oil clearly has never used it... since the dye burns off within the first 50miles or so and it looks like normal oil pretty quick. I'm not a RP nut or anything - mainly because deep down inside I know I'm probably over paying... but its been working fine so I haven't messed with it.

For filters - I use the K&N... my other cars us the RP filter, but last time I looked there isn't one for the 3.6 pentastar.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2016 Grand Caravan Engine noise