Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

r/t to srt beater

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM
stewtina
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r/t to srt beater

I am tired of these high schoolers getting srt's then whipping my butt off the line i do keep up pretty well but a loss is a loss. We have an r/t like everything about the car with the exception of not srt power. I know we should have just bought the superbee like we wanted but that was a different story. our r/t has different exhaust and intake and we are thinking of nitrous from ZEX. How hard would it be to put the 6.1 in the place of the 5.7 is it a direct bolt in? If i get new job i am thinking of just getting superbee or just go and get grand cherrokee srt but that depends on a lot of things coming together. so for now i sit and ponder how to beat one. I am making my cummins whip there but though thats fun.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: r/t to srt beater

I don't believe the 6.1 is a direct drop in. The PCM is different and the harness may be as well. Not sure about the TCM. Hoping DodgeTech chimes in here.

Drop 4 or 5K into the 5.7, stoke it out to a 392 and add a higher stall TC then on top of that add a ZEX kit and your R/T will blow the doors off a SRT8. Even without N2O it would be a sleeper and will walk away from a stock SRT8 or SuperBee.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
stewtina
Veteran

thanks mango just frustrated I hope your mango is doing weel with all the rain you guys have gotten. We get it in spurts up here when it rains it RAINS i had to push a foating rice burner to safety with our mega cab water was above our bumper start building an ark or grow webbed feet i will let you guys knw what i do.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 PM
mnboy
Captain

Stew,
I, too, have seriously thought about a 6.1 drop-in. I have studied this at great length, and it is certainly a do-able project. However, for me, the cost of fuel, constantly getting 20% less fuel economy, for only "wanting" 75 more HP at every push of the accelerator is too much -- especially, when I can get almost 425 HP from my 5.7. My thoughts were this: buying a 6.1 on ebay for $5,000 in the crate, delivered. Pull out my 5.7 and recrate it and sell it back on ebay for $3,000(estimated. New 5.7's are around $4,000). This would include the ECU and my SC programmer. From all the data I can find out it's a bolt in fit. Numbers from the transmission and torque converter are the same as an SRT8. My K&N would fit, and I'd buy a stage II ECU from B&G for $650 which would take care of the TCU. They would need my VIN and milage. The 6.1 already comes with headers, so the hi-flow cats and piping can be done in-shop at my local, friendly, muffler dealer.
There you go: 425 HP for around $2,000+/- in a stealthy Daytona Charger. BUT. For me, I didn't buy my Daytona for drag racing or such. Well, there is absolutely some fun involved with these cars, but I don't need to prove it at every stop light.So, here I am, gettingconstantlyonly 20 MPG on the road, vs 25. Also, how many times do I race? How many times would I really need that kind of massive power? Truthfully, not very often. No, no, don't get me wrong -- I'd LOVE 425 HP. But Mango has proved to me use the Dodge technology at 25 MPG and still get gobbs of power by using a slight cam, headers, Superchip and the key ingrediant to success of many: N2O, er, nitrous. Now I can get 25 MPG and scare the hell out of an SRT8 at the flick of the switch.

But, still, wouldn't it be grand to open the hood on cruise nights and see a 6.1 Hemi under the hood -- it'd be love at first sight .

MN

Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Stroker
Veteran

I see no need to upgrade to the 6.1. Instead upgrade to this:

426-472-528" Legend HEMI (Street) [/align]
[/align]

MP Block (426â€: Water 4.250â€/ 528â€: Siamiese 4.500†Bore), Eagle 4340 Steel Crank (4.150†X 2.375â€), Eagle 3DH-Beam Rods (6.860†X 1.031†Pin), Wiseco Dome Pistons, File Fit Rings, Rod & Main Bearings, Balanced, Dome Piston: 10.25 to 1 with 170cc Available in Kit Form Only (Clearances Need to be Checked During Assembly of Complete Engine)[/align][ul][*]Upgrade to Callies Crank[/ul]
Yes you'll have to do all the same stuff as with the 6.1 swap and it would be nice to have a 6.1 to steal the heads and other stuff from but It would also be nice to rebadge your R/T to a SRT-427 or SRT-7.0. That short block was advertised in the June Hot Rod Mag for $6500.

www.indyheads.com is whear you can get it from.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
mnboy
Captain

Stroker,
Thanks for the info. But it's a short block for $6,500 plus, then, all the heads, intake, etc. I believe there was one of these motors on ebay, complete, for $13,000.
The 6.1 update is complete drop-in for $5,000 including a Dodge warranty.

I know the HP is more, but the money is too.

MN

Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Stroker
Veteran

ya gotta pay to play

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
mnboy
Captain

Everyone,
My euphoria has turned to dismay [].My thoughts of a 6.1 sitting in my Daytona's engine bay have vanished. Life sucks.
Well, not quite, but let me whine a bit here.

I just got back from the Dodge dealership and did more inquiring about the 6.1 bolt in. Yep, the engine would bolt up, but the rear end differential is different and from what he could tell, and the half-shafts are larger (wider)in the SRT8. I am going to assume the driveline is beefier too. Holy cow, this project would cost so much it's just not going to be worth it...I was thinking about $7,000 minus the $3,500 (wishful thinking) for my 5.7 with the SC and the ECU. But this has really turned the project into thousands more. Damn Dodge... why didn't they make the 6.1 an OPTION for the Daytona's? OH no --they want you to spend $15,000 more...

I have given up my thoughts of the beautiful Mango colored Daytona with a 6.1[].

Bummer.

MN

Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Stroker
Veteran

Like I said you gotta pay to play. Honestly yoour not talking about a lot of money when you upgradeto the 7.0 and a tremek (sp?) 6 speed and a 9 inch rear. Well ok it is alot of money but not when you compair it to other makes and what your getting. Even the 6.1 is on par for this type of upgrade when compaired to other makes.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Well the HEMI SHOP offers stroked hemi's for sale. For us 5.7L guys there is 370cubes and 392 cubes. The 370 pulls slightly ahead of the srt-8's but with the 392 you will be challenging modded SRT-8's. Well if you want to stay with an SRT-8 alls you need to spend is $1300 for intake, superchip, and a 50shot of nitrous.

Quick Reply: r/t to srt beater