Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:03 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..

Still kickin around the idea of cutting out the resonators on my TB...I want the sound like they had on the charger and magnum from the movie "The island"...They sounded throaty..My pops said I will get tired of the droning noise. I want it to "Growl" more when I gas it. Did we ever figure out which were the resonators? The two at the back by the tips are the big suitcase in the middle. I guess the muffler shop cuts these or this out and welds in a straight pipe in it place. Correct? What are you guys thoughts on this one?

Jules

Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..

Hey GF about time you get back in the mix! LOL

People are choping either that big thing in the middle or the two little thingies at the end. Heck be a first and delete all them thingies

I believe the consensus here is to delete the one on the middle.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

I will be chopping out the suit case in the middle.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Qbinican

I installed the flowmaster super 40's mufflers on my R/T. I was looking for better performance and better sound for her but at the same time, because of health reason for my wife (tinitus.ringing in the ear) I couldn't go the whole nine yards. So I called flowmaster and spoke with a tech and he said that I can change the muffler and keep the stock res. That I will getter a better sound then what I have now( he was right, my baby sounds awsome) better performance and I wont have to worry about any noise inside the R/T. Which I did and couldn't be any happier! But I guess what I am trying to get is................ I changed the suitcase(mufflers) with 2 super 40's and kept the stoc reso....which are at the end. I've been looking for the diagram I had pointing out what was what so I could post it here. when I do find it I will post it. So any way for 300 bucks I hooked up my R/T and with the new intake and stage 2 chip I am very happy

Old 08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
mnboy
Captain

Your Dad will be right. You will love the roar and hate it at the same time. But go ahead and chop out the suitcase resonator and put on two Flowmasters, chop off the two mufflers and put on straight pipe to the back. Since you have less backpressure, make sure you have the calibration right so you don't lean it out. Then let those Flowmaster's growl. You'll have your wish and it will sound mean. Just let me know the address to send the Ibuprofen after a few weeks...

MN

Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 PM
mnboy
Captain

Qbinican,
Welcome to the forum. Your post is interesting. I have heard the 40s are a good way to go for an all around growl. We all have seen the post of the resonator and mufflers. There is much conflicting reports and people have even posted dictionary meanings. This has been a long, long road for a lot of us here. We have gone over and over this. We are mostly at peace now, but, the majority of posters arguably agree with the large suitcase piece is the resonator, and the two rear pieces are mufflers. I have a Daytona that has a hollow resonator (your R/T is three chambered), and my mufflers are chambered high flow, (where you have more restrictive mufflers). This is where my Daytona has 10 more ponies than your stock R/T (not that I care, I'm just saying).
I would LOVE to hear your car with the Flowmasters. I don't because of interior DRONE, but I did have the muffler shop hold 40s next to my open pipes (where the resonator is) and it DID sound deeper, louder, and like my old 440 -- but not quite.

No drone with your set up, eh? Sounds nice to me.

MN

Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional

Ok I chopped off the two "what I call resonators" at the very back with the tips welded to it. I had the shop install a small pipe where the resonators were. There is definitly a drone that can be heard in the vehicle. Once you get up to speed it levels out and you cant really hear them. I was not too pleased with how far back he welded the tips onto the pipe he installed. I will take a picture. Should I do anything for recalibration for back flow or were there be an issue with this. I am still reading posts that those were the mufflers but the muffler shop said they were resonators. WHAT ARE THEY!!!! GONE on my Bananna now...

Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Potatoe/Potato depends where you come from and general thought paterns at the time.

You wasted no time getting modified, typically the drone is around 15-2K RPM. Other than that and the tips being set back too far do you like the rumble? The sound makes a statement.

<edit> I would say pull/replace fuse 11 but... you know [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 08-11-2006, 05:14 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional

Oh crap...OK it is definitely fuse 11 I need to pull. Leave it out for about 10 minutes then replace it. Dont pull any other fuse while that one is out. FUSE 11. Let me see if I can find the pic from an earlier post we can point to.

Queen-O-Fuses strikes again!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:27 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional

Ok here is the pic from my oh **** post a while back..Its the yellow fuse the wire crimers are pointing to correct?

[IMG]local://upfiles/34074/34F68089A1FE431D8155434C1ED76A2E.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..