Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

DUAL THROTTLE BODY

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006 | 05:19 PM
topbanna3767
|
Captain
Default DUAL THROTTLE BODY

I WAS READING IRXL8 ABOUT A DUAL THROTTLE BODY FOR 2 CAI FILTERS .WOULD THAT ACTUALLY WORK ? I ONLY ASK BECAUSE I WAS THINKING THE THROTTLE BODY INTAKE IS STILL THE SAME INTAKE DIAMETER SO MORE AIR WOULDNT BE GOING IN ,BUT WOULD THE AIRFLOW SPEED UP AT THE JUNCTION POINT WHERE THE 2 MEET ? JUST CURIOUS IM REALLY ANXIUOS ABOUT THAT MODIFIED 5.7 WITH SECRET MODS THAT RUNS 12 ,MUST FIND OUT [:@]

Old 09-10-2006 | 06:56 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Default RE: DUAL THROTTLE BODY

Just thinking about this, and trying to relate to carburatored engines. The dual throttle body, two "holes", COULD, even though smaller than the one, single "hole", actually flow more air. But, I would have to think that in order to take full advantage of this increase in intake volume, there MUST be other mods including an increase in fuel flow, some head work and possibly exhaust work. It seems that IF you are actually taking more air in, then you need more fuel fed in to match the increase in air flow. With all that additional air/fuel mixture, unless the heads on these engines flow much better than we know, there would need to be some head work to, again, take full advantage. Then it would logically follow that you would need a better exhaust to better scavenge all the "extra" exhaust out. It's like bolting on a 1200cfm carb onto an engine designed around a 750cfm carb - you gotta have all the other parts "matching" to really take advantage. If not, the car could, and probably would be, slower.

So, I don't think this is a simple bolt on deal - UNLESS, the flow rates with the dual throttle body are the same as the flow rate for the single. The difference, as you eluded to, would be velocity rather than volume. Higher velocity would allow the use of a cam shaft with step ramps, i.e., opening the valves much quicker, to take advantage of the faster air/fuel mixture coming in. The valves could also, in theory, stay open a bit longer allowing a larger charge to enter the cumbustion chamber, i.e., more hp. So, there could be a whole lot of different things going on here. Obviously, the people who did this are well on the way to getting it all figured out and getting EVERYTHING to work together.

Without knowing what else was done, it's hard to know exactly what to look for - both in parts and the cost effectiveness.

dave

Old 09-10-2006 | 10:27 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I saw a picture of that intake the other day and had to stop to read up a little on it. At first glance I thought they were hiding something under there, like a turbo… Whoa! Not, what a let down.

Anyhew, you and Dave got some valid points on whether or not this setup would really be of benefit. I’d hide-n-see until it hits the road and real number can back it up.

Old 09-10-2006 | 10:35 PM
topbanna3767
|
Captain

hi there is there a website i can also look at it ?

Old 09-10-2006 | 11:20 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

The one I saw was a single quantity hand fabricated intake. It was installed on 6.1L (SRT) engine. The owner fabbed it himself. It replaced the (don't quote me on the numbers but it should be close) 115mm stock unit with two 80 mm units, or a reasonable ratio thereof. There was quite a bit of ECU work done to make it work properly. I can say that it looked "Bad ***". I can confirm that the car seemed stable enough to make at least one run down the track.

Old 09-11-2006 | 01:47 PM
mnboy
Captain

Sounds interesting for sure. However, putting that much air into a small block engine is pretty wild. They must have a heck of a set up and LOTS of exhaust, head, and compression work done, let alone the fuel it would need at 14:1 air/fuel ratio.

You need to get out what you stuff in.

MN

Old 09-11-2006 | 08:05 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

You need to get out what you stuff in.

MN
Exact-a-mundo!!

dave

Old 09-12-2006 | 01:55 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

Twin 80's would be awesome !! My mind has raced ahead, and I've started looking at existing systems that might be modified to meld to the 5.7.

Like my learned companions in warrantee crime.. We'll definately have to look at the volume issues I/E. I'll see what I can find out on exhaust flow with the stock 2.5 inch system. Should be a simple thing to identify the volume and pressure on the intake/manifold side.

Initial logic might say just slap a 3" header & exhaust system and be done with it, though as Mnboy has said, we've got to be very watchful not to lean it out too much. I'm certainly not a pro, but I am sure that atmospherics on either side of the combustion chamber has a huge role to play in the performance curve.

Afterall we're about to throw away the decisions made by DCX engineers; on flow dynamics, to suit our own expectations for high performance. If anyone gets specific technical data on this, please drop it to post. It could make a big difference in the decisions we make next.

Be safe out there.

Old 09-12-2006 | 07:43 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

This is what I learned so far.

5.7 Liter

Intake Manifold, 2 inch ports
Intake Valve 2.55
Exhaust Valve 1.55
Intake flow= 270 CFM
Exhaust Flow= 161
2" throttle body
Hal controls fuel air via Air Density meter vrs conventional Mass Air sensor. (definately have issues with CAI & Forced air.)
Exhaust Manifold= 2.5"
Compression 9.6:1

6.1 Liter
2.5" Intake Manifold, Defined as Cast Aluminum with Shorter, Larger-diameter, tapered Runners. Runners core dipped to smooth finish & improve air flow
Intake & Exhaust valves= 2mm larger than 5.7
Intake Flow= 300CFM
Exhaust Flow=182 CFM
2.5"/4 barrel throttle body
Exhaust headers= single tube/stainless wrapped 2.75"
Compression 10.3:1

Recommended Mod III

CompCam 213*/220*-.528/531-111 degree
6.1 rods
6.1 ported heads
2.5" Intake Manifold
2.5" throttle body
2.75" ceramic headers.

I hope it helps someone somewhere..

Be safe out there.

Daytona R/T Beast

Old 09-13-2006 | 04:11 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

I Spoke to Kelly at Heat Performance today. He is making a twin 80 mill throttle body.

FYI

Quick Reply: DUAL THROTTLE BODY