Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Your header install

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:13 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your header install

Ok guys\girls gonna get me some longtubes,I want ot know what was the hardest part on your install? Was it the removal of the old stuff includeing the studs,or was it just the fact that if you had a hoist would make it easier?I wanna be able to do it myself if its not a HUGE PAIN in the *@#,plus I am sure the Dealer want a fortune to do it .
thanks Marty

Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 AM
RT 2 NV
Veteran
Default RE: Your header install

i looked into it awhile back and they local motor shop wanted $1000 with the parts. i would like to do it my self have the $500 in labor. i would like more info on install too. thanks.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

No problem

Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Here's a bit of information that should help Header Install.

<edit>
The hardest part of the install:

1. Accessing to a couple of bolts on the passenger side (top middle and front). The OEM exhaust manifolds come off without much issue it's the headers that makes getting to some of the bolts interesting.

2. The heat shields have been problems for quite a few, in my experience taking your time and pulling them out from the rear of the engine it takes maybe 5 minutes each, bend and twist them they will come out in one piece.

If you want to undo the motor mounts and raise the engine a hoist it would make it easier. There really isn't a need for that. You will need to jack-up the car; with all the bending and twisting you do the higher it's off the floor the easier it is on your body. You don't have to jack-up all 4 corners but I would recommend it. I used 4 - 4 ton jack stands just because they gave me 23" of clearance from the floor. 2 ton jack stands will work fine but normally they don't have the height the 4 tons do.

Some folks took off the oil filter to ease access to some of the bolts. I worked around the oil filter, it's tight but it can be done without removing it.

The oil dip stick is another point of contention. Only one nut holds it on but getting in out and back in is a pain. Take your time, you have to pull it out sideways towards the rear of the car and then you’re able to pull it out. Again just take your time and use a few four letter words on it. Having another pare of hands would help.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:44 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

hey Mango I get nothing on their it tell my page is gone or outdated?

Old 12-02-2006, 01:06 PM
440nix
Rookie

yes, i had my long tube headers installed by dealer. he charged me 400. doller exact.
took 3 - 4 hours.
also changed o2's for free. he said he cound not get others out.
i also bought some exhaust gaskets. 9.00 dollers .
i wanted fresh seat for headers to sit on. they said they could use old one's , but i wanted new one's.
the hardest thing he said was the heat sheld on drivers side , he had to bend it alittle.
some spots in the stock manifold , so you can slide the out with out removing studs.
hope this helps.

go mango 1342
mopar cai
mopar headers
corsa exhaust

Old 12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Anyone else having problems getting to this PDF file? http://home.comcast.net/~rgdixon/Cha...derInstall.pdf

That's good to know 440nix, most of the headers come w/gaskets. Which headers did you get?

<edit> baldyloxs, try right clicking on the link and select "Save Targer As..." this allows you to download the PDF file to your local drive.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

Got it ! what was the part Number you used for the bolts 150-101?Thanks Mango
I got a place to do my friend at work has a 10,000 hoist so I guess we are hitting it this spring .

Old 12-03-2006, 01:05 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Breslin has Chromemoly 008-027 and Stainless Steel 608-027, I used Stainless.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

Thanks Mango you are the best !!!!!! Are those studs in the stock manifolds or bolts?
thanks Marty

Quick Reply: Your header install