Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Should I Journey?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I Journey?

My wife and I are in the market to replace our Jeep Liberty because we need something with more room. Must have 3 rows. We are not minivan people, period. We noticed that the Dodge Journey seems to have a lot of what we want, but it it priced considerably lower then the comparable Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Honda Pilot, etc...

So my question is, tell me how you like your Journey. What are the pros and cons. Specificially, I need to know how the AWD version does in bad weather, is the power adequate, how is the fit and finish overall, etc... Any help you can give would be appreciated.

The price is really appealing to me right now, escpecially since my work also has an Afflilate Reward program with Chrysler, so I could get one for below invoice like we did when we bought the Liberty back in '04.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I can tell you i like the journey with the awd package. 3.5L 240 to 260 hp. The honda pilot has the same motor, fwd or awd. I have not seen many problem with the journey either, but have with the honda pilot.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So far I am very impressed with my mother's. Very comfortable and with the 3.5 V6 it has more than ample power. Not the AWD version so I can't comment on that.

I test drove the CRV and the Toyota Highlander and there was no comparison, my mother's Journey is roomier, accelerates better, and is WAY more comfortable for me at 6'3" and 280 lbs.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Our short list is:
-Dodge Durango
-Nissan Pathfinder
-Dodge Journey
-Toyota Highlander
-Ford Explorer
-Jeep Commander
-Honda Pilot

We can get any of these (all have 3 rows) for around $18-24k, and with under 30k miles. Just need to go drive some and see what we like best. My top pick right now is the Durango or the Commander since the Journey is more car like, but still would like to drive one first.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
deke6520
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my wife the 09 Journey SXT with the 3.5L. Let me tell you that while looking around nothing could compare with the Journey when it came to ride quality and options for the price. The ride compares with a luxury vehicle and has a very quiet interior. I have read alot of reviews on this vehicle and to tell you the truth we have not had one problem with it. We are getting close to 30,000km and have not had it in the shop once. Fuel economy in the city could be a little better but it is a heavy vehicle but on the highway I am averaging around 26-27mpg. The power of the 3.5 is very adequate and has plenty of passing power.
Take one out for a test drive and I am sure you will be impressed.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 AM
ChryslerTechBC
Professional

They go through brakes very quickly. It may just be the drivers but we've had around a half dozen Journey's that have needed front and rear brakes with 45,000 km or less.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 PM
deke6520
Veteran

Originally Posted by ChryslerTechBC
They go through brakes very quickly. It may just be the drivers but we've had around a half dozen Journey's that have needed front and rear brakes with 45,000 km or less.
I can see that. I noticed when you take your foot off the gas it doesn't slow down. Its the only vehicle that I have driven that can go from 60km/h to 80 going down a small hill and I mean small! I found I was riding the brakes more often than I would have liked.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

That's unusual.

We're going to go test drive one in a few days, along with a lot of other vehicles. My wife is leaning toward a Honda Pilot, and I'm leaning toward a Durango, but we'll drive a bunch of things to make sure we get what works best for us.

Quick Reply: Should I Journey?