Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

Old 11-21-2004, 05:18 AM
JBsZ06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

BTw..I'm running a cold air intake in the nose of my Corvette Z06 between the licence plate and between the two Z06 grills on my C5 Corvette and I do take the plastic radiator shroud down to clean the filter every 10K miles. Takes about an extra 20 minutes to remove compared to an underhood aftermarket air filter unit.

Worth the power increase. IMHO

Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Tedman5
Rookie

sikpuppy, I did exactly what you suggested. I have the K&N typhoon and a air supply running from the lower grill up through the fender hole to the air box. Yeah it may not be a true cold air with a pretty polished pipe and all, but its a lot cooler air than before and less expensive with the same gains.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 AM
phantom505
Professional

It installs without any modification to the car other than to remove the stock airbox. All you have to do is remove the 2 bottom kickpanels. The main one, and the one underneath the headlights.

As far as location goes, think of it in terms of where the heat is not. Sitting the filter where the stock airbox is going to get very warm. By putting it lower, there is much less heat.

For example, the Pontiac Grand AM users get large gains with CAI's. On the site I go to there has not been one instance of "hydrolock". This filter on the GA is almost precisely in the same place as the Magnum. The Magnum has a better seal around this area, mostly because the stock intake tube sits down there too. And most makers of CAI will tell you that you have to drinch the filter, even splashing wouldn't hurt it. And just one example is: http://www.injen.com/faq.html and for amuzement sake: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8109

And for reference, I have short tires on my car and the filter sits about 8" total off the ground to the LOWEST point of the filter. And that is on a decline. If one wants to use a smaller filter, you could probably get clearance well over one foot. I just happened to put long filter on there. Personally, I would be more scared of some of the staight through intakes I've seen used.... only thing stopping birds and rain is a flimsy filter and otherwise straight in it goes. And for this design, gravity is on your side.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:19 AM
denman383
Professional

what's a CAI..?

Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 AM
phantom505
Professional

Same gains as what? I punched it and my cell phone ( a little Nokia ) flew out of the overhead compartment into the backseat. I am getting my car dyno'ed again as soon as I can, but one thing is for sure, the torque is much stronger as is the top end. Throttle response is simply awesome now. BTW, the Magnum runs pig rich, anything to lean it out will help tremendously.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:23 AM
denman383
Professional

oh..ok......cold air intake...duh[sm=exactly.gif][sm=sorry.gif]

Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 AM
phantom505
Professional

NM (you can't delete your own posts on this forum, or am I blind?)

Old 11-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Tedman5
Rookie

So, Phantom what's the cost of this setup?

Old 11-21-2004, 12:07 PM
JBsZ06

I hope you don't mind the discussion. I beleive the setup you are discussing at 8 inches off the ground and sealed within the car by the undertray your mentioning makes this a safe setup.

Like I said I am running a similiar setup on my corvette Z06 and I even have the z06 grilles to further cool the intake.

I am a big supporter of air filter intake systems as you have further described them.

I appreciate your patience as the more you described what you have done.....the more I've learned about it.

The polished tube extending the filter into a cooler yet still enclosed area of the vehicle makes this a win -win for Hemi owners.

The price is well worth what you are offering. I paid 600 for something not nearly as nice looking and yet the concept and execution is the same. They call that the "Corvette tax"

I'd imagine to control noise and keep costs low the stock system is fairly restrictive.

Easy twenty - twenty five horsepower that doesn't void the warranty in any way shape or form. Install it yourself as well.

Congratulations and thanks for letting me ask so many questions while your still polite.

Good luck and if I had a Hemi motor vehicle I'd be buying one. (I happen to dig chryslers new Hemi powered vehicles and thats why I joined and participate with this impressive site. )

Old 11-21-2004, 03:09 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Thanks for posting the photos, I like what you have done to get cooler air for the filter.

It looks like it will be more work to keep the filter clean, but worth the effort.

Only suggestion I have is: Maybe wrap the chrome intake tube (under the hood) with insulation to keep the pipe cool. It will hide the good looking pipe, but give you cooler air.

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!