Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 09:09 PM
phantom505
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

For those of you who want to know what a true CAI looks like, here you go.

Power is amazing, it actually should like there's a V8 under the hood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4789/7687ADD5BE984E7099CDB6F8522EDE72.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4789/DCC35C1C6D23415E81A92259712F044A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-20-2004, 09:39 PM
JBsZ06
Default RE: A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

I don't know what material the manifold is on the Hemi but I would hestitate to use such a low air filter.

I've heard of a few guys who hydrolocked their LS1 motors (not too many but some) with a filter positioned down that low.

LS1 has a composite manifold and because its not metal it doesn't turn the water to steam before it gets into the block to cause major damage.

Just a heads up.

Probably worth a 30 degree temperature differential. Every ten degrees is about one percent more hp on the road.

Figure an improvement of 10 -15 hp to show up on a decent dyno and then another 3% for the decreased air intake temperature.

Just beaware that the motors with composite manifolds have in the past hydrolocked and lost the block

I put a ski do prefilter on my air intake that hung down low like the one in this photo. Supposedly it protected the engine from taking in water...and then at the track..I'd just take off the jacket. (air filter cover)

I hope this information gives insight to what some others have found true with the ls1 motor.

Hemi Magnum's an awesome ride.

Great to see such unique vehicles from Chrysler and Dodge.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:59 PM
phantom505
Professional

Umm... if you take a look at how well protected this filter is, then you would realize that it's not an issue for several reasons. The front, bottom and left side are all well covered on this car. And how the hell would you hydrolock something that can't suck the water up? You have a filter, then about 12" straight up and then about 18" over, then another 90* bend before getting it in.

As far as I can tell, people that cry about hydrolock are morons. They usally hit a 6" puddle going 35MPH and then bitch. I have yet to see an example of a motor blown to "hydrolock" and could prove that's what it was. It's not like your injectors will get water in them. And how much water would it require to cause it to misfire, let alone sieze? Hell, more people spray water on purpose to cool the intake air. So the chances of this are slim to none.

Oh, the stock intake isn't much higher either, BTW.

Beats the hell out of BS warm air intakes, or the supposed "ram air" BS.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:27 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Uh, to alleviate ANY chance of H2O intrusion, why not have the filter in the engine compartment, enclosed in a box, then have the inlet pipe through the fender going down into the same area the air silencer sits in? Pesonally, it looks you will be replacing your filter quite frequently due to water/dirt collection, some bugs, etc. Just my thoughts.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:34 PM
phantom505
Professional

Because that is a warm airtake. Which sucks. Trust me. Any platform, anywhere; cold air > warm air.

I'm really glad the first two replies are people that want to dump on something. Thanks guys.

Old 11-21-2004, 01:48 AM
speedyguy

The basic concept of an intake "in" the fender well is often met with fear and this is understood. The actual location of the filter is in the same location of the silencer and the opportunity of hydro lock is really not much greater than a stock unit. Remember the plastic guard that covers the area shown in the picture so the filter is covered from debris. Yes it will get slightly dustier but just slightly. K&N offers off road covers that they swear by. Once again a solution for the common fears.

So why a true cold air intake?? A under hood intake is subject to engine heat and the closed hood does not give the heat anywhere to go. SO the biggest robber of hp in the intake system is the heat and bathing the filter in this heat is counter productive. We also have done alot of resurch..The kit was ready long before even airraid had pushed their new unit. BUT we wanted to truly optimize performance. There are several other things we did that optimize performance so that the gains are not only seen at the dyno but are even greater as the car drives. This is to say if the other kits were given cool air like ours in there current designs they would still be inferior. Why? That is a secret for now.

Now If I were selling a thin plastic shell and a filter for 159.00 I sure wouldn’t be sharing this info if I wanted to sell units. Can you imagine how much they would have to charge if they actually made a twin aluminum intake with two couplers and a larger more expensive cone filter? Wow there profit margin would drop and the market would shrink. lol so remember there are reasons you are sold cheap plastic to cook under your hood.
The biggest reason is you "think" seeing a cone filter in front of you makes the car faster. Really that is proven and a major pull for these under the hood filters.

Now if you look at the Grand prix and Grand am you will find they all use a FWI (fender well intake) or wish they had. Performance gains are much superior. So far no known or proven hydro lock issues at all. This is with years and years of use.

This kits not for the person who wants a cool sticker or "neat " looking performance thingy under their hood. This intake is a serious performance mod.

There will be a dyno of the Hemi unit and many other pictures to come and I am sure the Dodge community will enjoy the superior performance gains and superior looks.

Ty

Old 11-21-2004, 04:59 AM
sikpuppy
Professional

What difference does it make where the filter is as long as the inlet tube is drawing air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment? That is the main concern of a CAI, correct?

Old 11-21-2004, 05:01 AM
JBsZ06

Sorry I didn't mean to offend a manufacturer or supporting vendor. For years, I never believed nor have I had an issue with a cold air induction system and the benefits of the cooler intake air I believe are 1% more power for every 10 degree drop in air intake temperature.

I would imagine a 30 degree drop in air intake temperature with a cool air intake giving 3% more hp Plus the 10 to 15 hp usually achieved with switching to a K and N conical filter versus stock.

I drag raced my 1999 C5 a ton at englishtown comparing a traditional underhood aftermarket intake versus a cold air intake similiar in concept to what is being shown here...

The improvement was a consistant .4 tenths and 3 mph in the quarter mile.

I ran from 13.5 @ 105mph with an underhood air intake versus 13.1 @ 108 mph with a cold air intake.

I had the computer pcm reprogramed and then ran consistant 12.8's @ 109.5 mph (automatic tranny)

I'm far from a basher or troll against cold air intakes..(but this hydrolock thing did happen to some people I know over the years)

I just thought I'd mention that with a composite intake manifold as on the LS1 GM motor there were some hydrolock cases with various brands of Cold Air intakes.....and that a (water ski jet air filter cover )bag was put on some of the filters for street use...then removed for track use.

I don't know what the Hemi's intake manifold is made out of. IF its metal than it will probably atomize the water as it travels through it...If its a composite...then I'd suggest situations that occurred with the LS1 GM motor with cold air intakes could occur..

Knowledge is power and can only help

I can only say hydrolock is not covered by Manufacturers warranty but rather covered by each individuals insurance coverage.

Of course hydrolock is rare and can happen in any vehicle....if this ever occurs to anyone...I have seen people discussing the removal of the offending device before having the car towed to a dealership for diagnosis.

Great site...and I'm not trying to be a PIA...

Just shooting the breeze.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:03 AM
sikpuppy
Professional

BTW Phantom, not dumping, just asking.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:05 AM
sikpuppy
Professional

Another question. Since the tube goes through the fender opening where the OEM tube goes, do you have to completely remove the inner fender liner for the new air filter to get behind the bumper, or do you just cut a hole in it for the run?

Quick Reply: A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!