Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 03:38 PM
phantom505
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!

There will be several options on the intake. "Cool Wrap" is one of them, as is getting it anodized in several different colors.

http://www.domesticperformance.com/p...roducts_id=444

He doesn't have better photos up yet, but it should be very soon. If you can see it through the haze of the crappy phone camera he was using that is how the anodizing effect looks.

He's still in his startup mode, these first several items are his push push to get going on more of commerial basis rather than a custom market only.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:06 AM
billapex
Professional

In the 7.5 years of owning a Mustang and Viper performance shop back in California, I only saw one car that hydro-locked. It was a Mustang with a Vortech supercharger, which places the air filter down low behind the bumper, but the owner was wide-open throttle and hit a puddle. Remember, if you're cruising, the throttle is barely open. The only way a large enough amount of water would be ingested into the engine is when the throttle butterfly is substantially open.
And I agree about the length of tubing--that water would have to travel a long way to be sucked into the engine, and the chances of that are close to nil.
One question though--are you going to offer ceramic coating? While you say that plastic construction is inferior, plastic tubing does have its benefits, and retaining heat like metal isn't one of them. Personally, I'd prefer the kit be made out of plastic, but it's expensive to contract with a molding company to cast plastic parts. Metal tubing is much more readily available. It would be an interesting experiment to test the intake air temperature at the throttle body with metal tubing vs. plastic tubing...

Old 11-22-2004, 02:29 AM
phantom505
Professional

Not to argue per se (because you are abosolutely right in stop and go traffic, but the mear fact that this intake is out of the engine compartment will offset that), plastic is much more prone to heat retention. What you have to keep in mind is that when air is constantly moving the metal will take on the temperature of the moving air, not the static air around the tube. Think of it as a weighted average in favor of the cooler air, assuming it's moving (i.e. not at idle).

But to answer your question, yes, DP can have it ceramic coated if that is your pleasure. The same shop that does the anodized layer can do the ceramic layers too. So it is available. I'll tell him to add it as an option on his site.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:49 AM
speedyguy

Well we can offer ceramic coating but there is actually a mild ceramic benefit from the anodizing process. The biggest gain comes from a thermal protective sleeve.

As a last option for those who must have the very best (relatively extremely expensive) we can make a custom phynolic coating on the aluminum tube and yes there are many colors that can be used.

Ty

Old 11-22-2004, 04:53 AM
speedyguy

Hopefully you can place the part of the intake. The sheen from the coating covers the ghost marble burl wood effect made underneath. This is what anodizing looks like.

We can offer solid colors as well and there are really no limits. The other plus is anodizing offers a durable surface with a ceramic coating quality. Not as good as pure ceramic coating but it is there.

I am using a multi purpose top of the line Panasonic video camera with picture capability...but think I am not either doing it right or the camera option sucks. lol

I may have to go back to the basic digital camera.

I have a professional photographer coming .

Ty

[IMG]local://upfiles/6132/11BA2020DF5149B4B6A99622B94721C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-22-2004, 05:18 AM
phantom505
Professional

Dang, I need to get that one in blue.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 AM
JBsZ06

Nice product and at 276 dollars a hell of a deal for a quality piece.

Cold air rules!

Old 11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
billapex
Professional

ORIGINAL: speedyguy
...we can make a custom phynolic coating on the aluminum tube and...
Oh, the tubing is aluminum? It doesn't say that on the website. I assumed it was steel, which certainly would retain more heat than aluminum. Aluminum would be my preference anyway.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:39 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

did u dispose of the plastic protective skid plates after installing this system?

Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 PM
speedyguy

The plastic skid plates are retained and protect the filter quite a bit. If the ground is dry and you are willing to clean the filter after the run you can take it off to try and increase your 1/4-mile time.

I do not believe taking of the plastic will provide any gains over the system with the plastic on.

Ty

Quick Reply: A True CAI for the RT w/Pics!