Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

What compares to a Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Klute
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What compares to a Magnum?

Thinking about getting Magnum SXT and was wondering what vehicles that I would compare it to.

There is the Pacifica, Ford Freestyle, Pontiac Rendezvous and what else?

I guess a better question is what other crossover vehicles are there?

Are there any new vehicles coming out for 2006 that would fit?

What vehicles were you considering before you bought a Magnum?

Thanks...

Old 04-07-2005, 06:19 PM
illy
Professional
Default RE: What compares to a Magnum?

I would say there are a lot of Wagons that one could consider instead of the magnum. There are also a lot of cars and trucks that compete with it as well.

For me, the cars competing with the magnum were the new Mustang, a new Vette, Viper SRT10, and the Subaru WRX STi. I know these don't seem connected in any way to the Magnum, but they were what was on my mind. If you are considering a Pacifica, just get the Magnum...

I decided to go with the Magnum RT as the family car, and keep my current Subaru WRX as the sports car. I imagine in three years all of the special edition Mustangs will be out, the new Charger will be out in all of its forms, the new Vettes and Z06 will be refined and the new Viper Coupe will be out, at which time the Magnum may turn in to one of those or the WRX may, whichever.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 PM
hyperbolic

The Nissan Murano was a close competitor to me. Room up front (I'm 6'3"), very roomy in the back, and the same cargo capacity. Disadvantages were: no telescopic steering wheel, way down on power compared to the RT, high ride height, and realitively pricey.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Bobs05RT
Rookie

Even though the following aren't in the same class as my 2005 Magnum RT, I looked at the Lexus GX470, really nice vehicle but that rear door swinging to the side seems to be an afterthought, it should swing up like the Magnum. I also looked at the Nissan Murano but as soon as I saw the hideous dashboard, I left the delaership. The Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 was ok but the dashboard layout was strange looking and the rest of the interior had a cheap look to it. I looked at other suv's since I still kept my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8, but many don't have the shift lever on the floor. I want the shifter to be on the floor where it belongs. The new 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited with the hemi was ok, but I felt there wasn't enough of an improvement over my 2000 Grand Cherokee to justify getting another one, so the Magnum RT was it.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

i would compare the RT to something like the infiniti fx, bmw x5, 4runner, GX470, Cherokee (mid sized SUV).
price wise, i was deciding betweent the RT and an infiniti G35.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:12 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: Klute

Thinking about getting Magnum SXT and was wondering what vehicles that I would compare it to.

I guess a better question is what other crossover vehicles are there?

Are there any new vehicles coming out for 2006 that would fit?

What vehicles were you considering before you bought a Magnum?

Thanks...

isn't the rendezvous a Buick?

Old 04-07-2005, 10:41 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Stay away from Ford, it will be a costly mistake. Trust me. Vehicles that compare to the Magnum performance wise could include the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Infinniti G35,Bmw M3, or the Toyota Mr2 Spider. What exactly are you looking for though? Performance?

-Matt-

Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 AM
MattRobertson
Professional

I know it sounds trite, but... nothing. I was headed for some sort of luxury sport sedan. Then I saw that first commercial. A hot rod I could put stuff in. Sold. It was more than that, but Dodge won the hearts/minds part immediately. The specifics got filled in when I started looking at the pieces and pretty much liking it all.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:36 AM
undropped
Veteran

i was not in the market, having just bought a new pontiac gran prix gtp less than a year and half ago.
But then i saw a magnum, just one, plain simple sxt, no wheels nothing and
then found myself almost digusted to ride in my still very new sports sedan
I ended up in an SE in november and have been very impressed with the quality of the vehicle

as for the buick redevooouuss my parents have one and love it, ah yes power everything and even heated seats in TEXAS

Old 04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Klute
Professional

Thanks for the responses folks...

Some of the vehicles mentioned I never thought of, so I will include those.

Yes, the Rendezvous is a Buick, not Pontiac. There are alot of nice fetaure to it, but the outside is just ugly.

What am I looking for?

Well, right now I have a 02 Ram QC. It is very nice, and I like it very much, BUT, my office if moving 17 miles farther away. My exwife lives 22 miles away, so my MPG is killing me. Last year I only put 8K miles, this following year I look to double that. With gas prices always going up, and a 13 MPG combined, I may have get some more economical.

I can justify a higher payment if the mileage is better.

Well, I have 2 boys that play all kinds of sports. So I need enough room to carry 3 set of golf clubs, bat bags, book bags and other kid crap. I do alot of work on my house, so I will need to haul material now and again. I would like to have enough room for 6, but will not consider a Pacifica b/c the ex drives one.

I am partial to Dodge products, but I am only really opposed to Fords since my experience has not been great. In the past, I have owned Dodges (stratus, caravan,ram), Chevy (Monte Carlo), Mitsubishi (galant, montero sport), Honda (odyssey), Mazda (323,626,B2200) and Toyota (tercel).

It was not a big deal while I was married, b/c we had 2 vehicles and you had more options. But now that I am single, I want something more utilitarian.

When you add things up, a minivan is what fits best. But, I will not have one. It's difficult being single and going on dates in a minivan...

Quick Reply: What compares to a Magnum?