Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 03:39 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Cold Air Intake

I have a few questions about the K&N Cold Air Intake system, can someone who has one installed answer a few questions? I have the 360 AirIntake System and am not happy with it.

1. Does the K&N air box seal good against the bottom of the hood? My 360 system does NOT seal good.

2. Does anyone have a photo of just the K&N airbox (without the filter inside it?) I am curiuous as to how the K&N airbox looks.

3. Is the K&N air box made of plastic material? My 360 box is metal and gets very warm after driving.

4. Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy a K&N Cold Air Intake System?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 05-13-2005, 03:54 PM
shiltz
Captain
Default RE: K&N Cold Air Intake

the K&N intake doesn't even have a box, just an L shaped heat shield between the filter and the engine, it will suck even more hot engine air than the 360 does.

here's a link with a picture of what it looks like, looks like the heat shield is metal. http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=206

Old 05-13-2005, 03:59 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

That photo is the K&N part #69-2526TP which is the Typhoon Kit for the Magnum.

I am interested in K&N part #63-1114 the AirCharger Kit which has an airbox.

Thanks any way,

Bob

Old 05-13-2005, 04:08 PM
MyRT
Professional

Bob,
HHP also has a picture of the intake you are interested in on their web page.
http://estore.websitepros.com/stores...4%20Magnum.jpg

Old 05-13-2005, 04:32 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Ahrrr...

I want a cross between the K&N #69-2526TP and the K&N #63-1114 Cool Air Intake Systems. I want the box of the #63-1114 with the Aluminum Sleeve off the #69-2526TP. That seems to be the best set up to me...

Old 05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Thanks MY RT, that is the photo of the K&N intake that I want.

Too bad you can't buy just certain parts of the intake systems by K&N, but that would make life so easy.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

ORIGINAL: shiltz
the K&N intake doesn't even have a box, just an L shaped heat shield between the filter and the engine, it will suck even more hot engine air than the 360 does.
here's a link with a picture of what it looks like, looks like the heat shield is metal. http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=206
You're right about the construction of the Typhoon, but wrong about its ability to draw cold air into the engine. I can't blame you because just looking at it you'd think the answer was obvious. Its not. I road-tested a K&N Typhoon over a few hundred miles. I published the tests here:

http://foohbar.com/page_33.cfm

Click the little plus sign next to the menu item to get the five tests to fold out so you can click on them.

Bottom line is the Typhoon brings in ambient air. It is not subject to heat soak. I originally thought this was cuz of air blasting in from the grille but the grille is sealed to the radiator. The Magnum's design apparently drafts ambient air up into the engine compartment in sufficient quantities that heat isn't an issue. That or the stock air intake, coming up from the ground, still is feeding air. Or its magic. Either way the Typhoon short ram is effectively a CAI.

I have talked to K&N about their Aircharger. Expect a 6-8 month wait for CARB certification simply because thats how long it takes to wend its way thru the bureaucracy. Once it becomes certified the exact same system will be re-labeled with a new part number. The Aircharger's 20+ hp versus the Typhoon's 12 is because the Aircharger is a more refined unit. K&N told me the elbow in particular was a major area of improvement.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:38 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Matt Robertson,
Where the Temperatures different. I could of swore I saw the stock run at 45 mph at 75 Degrees and you were running at 80 Degrees while at 45 mph. Warmer. That doesn't make sense...

Old 05-14-2005, 12:18 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

MattRobertson,

Thanks for the info, a lot of good information at your site.

Thanks again,

Bob

Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Cabo Mag

I have the K&N Aircharger (#63-1114) installed on my RT. The Airbox goes all the way down to the inside fender. It is made of metal. You have to put the hosepart on the top of it. It does seal up to the hood. It really makes a difference in performance & sound.
I'm impressed with the mod...

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake