Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Airaid Intake now available

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:49 AM
blackmagnumrt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid Intake now available

Airaid has put a cold air kit into production for the Magnum R/T. Here's the link:

http://www.airaid.com/350-160_dodge.asp

Anyone want to buy my K&N filter? It hasn't even been taken out of the box yet. Contact me via e-mail if you are interested.

Nick

Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 AM
phantom505
Professional
Default RE: Airaid Intake now available

I'm not sure how to put this.... but I wouldn't pay a nickel for that.

All it is a stock lower box with some air dams and a conefilter insert. It's basically a WAI. They even use the stock plastic tubing.

Plus, looking at what they charge for that thing... I would wait for something else to come out. It won't be long, I assure you that.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:41 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I just posted as a "FYI." I agree that there will be better kits coming soon. I am actually giving up my K&N because 360 Degree is close to shipping its unit (and they are the ones I first contacted so I want to give them my business). They are doing something along the lines of Airaid's unit but with much nicer (IMO) quality. I understand that many people don't like the air induction units that sit up top but I am not real wild about having my Hemi ingest water from a low mounted intake (and the speed shop I use just had a car in for exactly that problem). Just a matter of personal preference I guess. I've attached a photo of 360's unit. They will powdercoat the tube to your specifications. No word on price yet but I expect it to be in the $190 range.

http://www.360airintakez.com/

Nick

[IMG]local://upfiles/4607/62F29FA51E2E4FEE894D2DF1207871CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-27-2004, 09:53 PM
phantom505
Professional

Uh.... I'm not sure where all these people on the world get water in the intakes that cause problems. I have yet to see one get put into the shop over that. It just seems to be one of those things people like to blame, yet it's not really the issue. Have you popped off the lower skirting to the car and looked up there? You would have to be in 2 feet of water to get a filter wet.

Anyway, you won't pull anywhere near as much power as you will with a true CAI with a 3.5" tube.

I will post a dyno soon that proves that this is a useless style mod. You can pull the lower part of the intake off and get the same results for performance as those (as posted on AirRaid's site). Best Pull: 255HP 286TQ Warm Pull: 251HP 272TQ

Old 07-27-2004, 11:17 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

To each his (or her) own. All I can tell you is that I saw the motor with hydro-lock with my own eyes as well as the resulting damage. This was someone whose car was out of warranty so he was paying the freight for the repairs, not looking to fabricate a failure and file a claim for damages. He was apparently driving home in a rainstorm and hit about 8" of standing water. His CAI was an AEM brand “true†cold air induction system (a company that, incidentally, markets a bypass valve to keep this non-existent problem from occurring). At high revs, the vacuum effect ingested water into the cylinders and, because water does not compress like air, the connecting rods bent. While I will be the first to admit that this is an extreme example, it made a believer out of me.

I am personally more concerned with the volume of air at the intake than the temperature decrease (although I still firmly believe that there is some benefit to be derived from partially isolating the filter from the hot engine compartment). Also, for your reference, the 360 kit uses a 4" tube. This combined with a filter that will clearly outflow stock should yield gains that are adequate for my application.

If you feel compelled to pay a dyno fee to prove to me that this is a useless style mod (despite the fact that any first year physics student with access to an air source and a flow meter can tell you that one of these low-restriction cone filters can outflow the stock filter any day of the week) then by all means pony up. I'll look forward to seeing your results...

Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 PM
phantom505
Professional

Go see my other post. Then look at theirs. I'm working on mods. So of course I did a baseline. I am a scientist after all.

And for that anecdote... AEM... enough said.

BTW, no first year physics student I ever met knew anything about the real world. I'm a chemist by education, which is the same as any first year scientist. The problem with their setup is that they are still using the crappy stock tube. So it flows better, big whoop. If that changes, it may help, but it's still a warm air intake. Warmer air = less dense = you'll need the larger tube. You still won't get the throttle response because you don't have near as much capacity, another factor in the WAI vs. CAI debates that I have had to endure many times before. CAI in the end wins.

So if I were you, until someone proves they get more power than AirRaid's setup, I would just use the K&N filter with the lower resonator removed.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:58 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

Again, my original post was meant to inform that Airaid had their kit on the market. I did not, and do not, intend to purchase one from them.

As to your dyno results, surely a scientist would agree that they fall well short of proving your argument. You do not, in fact, have a baseline established on the dyno sheet. You have data that indicates a single run with the "mod" you speak of and no baseline that shows the power before making the change.

If you want to see a dyno that shows stock v. modified, look here.

This example clearly shows a 10.7hp increase over stock as well as an increase in torque of 19. Those results are hardly indicative of a "useless style mod." In the end, I don't think we will settle this debate here but I'll take 360's numbers over your dyno numbers any day at the track.

I value your opinions and your contributions to this forum nonetheless. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one...

Nick

Old 07-28-2004, 12:24 AM
phantom505
Professional

<sigh> I KNOW that is just a baseline of me just dinking around! I was making the point that particular WAI box is not worth it, and that I want to show improvement over what you can do for "free". As far as I can tell, you can do this "free" mod and get similar numbers. I don't think I have a freak engine that puts out 15 more HP.

When I get my CAI out and test it then that's what I want to compare to. Geez.

But you are right... you can't convince people of anything they aren't willing to be open to. I've tried WAI in the past and they simply stink if no other reason than in city driving suffers. Anyway... thanks for posting about these other options. I'm sure there are others that are more interested than me. I just don't like seeing only 1 side of 2 solutions of which in this case, I think there is predominant one.

Just an aside... the Magnum HEMI is different on the exhaust side from the truck, so until we can get some headers, I don't think we are going to see any serious gains.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 AM
freew67

You R/T guys, the SXT owners are being treated like like the red headed stepchild. Anyone know is there is anything in the works for us 3.5L guys? Some of us just couldnt afford the extra 5g's for the Hemi granted, I traded my Hemi Ram in for the SXT!

Old 07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I haven't seen anything for the SXT yet but I will post if I come across something. Personally, I like the SXT too and you should have sales numbers on your side when it comes to mods. When I bought the Magnum, I started calling and e-mailing aftermarket companies immediately to inquire about the availability of any performance parts. You may benefit from doing the same (and having others from the forum with SXT's join you - you could start a new post asking them to do exactly that). Lets face it, the aftermarket companies are in it for the money and if they feel that there is a demand, they will meet it. Best of luck.

Nick

Quick Reply: Airaid Intake now available