Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Hesitation in the Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 02:33 PM
ominusRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hesitation in the Hemi

No hesitating with mine. I was told by old GM mechanic that you should break a car in the way it's going to be driven. That's what I've always done and it seems to be true.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:53 PM
joseph
Rookie

Using the highest fuel octane available should help, and getting a cold air intake kit might wake it up and remove that hesitation/lag time.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:50 PM
chily3
Rookie

[&:]No hesitattion with mine. OOOPS it is an SXT

mike

Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 AM
joseph
Rookie

SXT, OOOPS useless!

Old 09-02-2004, 07:22 PM
schmisl

The last six people should read this thread from the start. They could see how absolutely useless their reply was!

Old 09-02-2004, 09:08 PM
joseph
Rookie

You're welcome, dick!

Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 AM
bfyost

my thoughts exactly schmisl. please read the prior posts people. we are not talking about a hesitation when you "mash" the pedal to take off from a stop. we are not talking about shifting hesitation. We are talking about a very quick slight lag. I would almost describe it as feeling like a miss in the engine. Like you were driving and all of a sudden you turned the key off and then back on in an instant, it only lasts a half a second or so. always happens when you start up any slight grade in the road, when the engine starts to have to work a little to keep you at the same speed. Im sure it is a combination of the torque converter and the MDS working together.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:28 AM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Mines done that little 'hiccup' on the freeway too. Same story for me, its the 4 other cylinders cutting in or out. I can live with it to get the power and economy. Its not nearly as bad as Cadillacs 4-6-8 system[:-]

Old 12-17-2004, 01:57 AM
MikeEast
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first saw this car in person - (picking up touch-up paint for my MIL's Intrepid, came round the corner there was a Black SXT.), I thought to myself, 'There's my car!" - and in buying my Black RT I viloated a long standing rule in my life - 'Never buy a first year anything"

I made that rule when I got one of the first Chevy "X-Cars" in Syracuse. Remember the Citation? I had the Buick flavor, nice little car - big 4 and a 4 speed, and best of all 'a company car'. Turns out I was among the few to id a design flaw with this configuration, the solid connection thru the clutch allowed the 'pulse' in power level to reach the body of the car when the computer decided it wasn't rich or lean enough. Rather than a slow shift to rich-or-lean, it's was more of a solenoid concept - (riiiichhh-LEAN or leeeean-RICH) which resulted in a PULSE every 'n' seconds, where 'n' is a number.

Drove me nuts. I took it back to the dealer - drove right in to the service bay area, tossed the keys to the service manager and told him to call when they thought they had it fixed. 6 weeks later we rode for about 30 miles with the area rep and declared it fixed - carb redesign.

So I know of what you speak - and <knock wood> I haven't been bothered by it in this car (yet?) My Sympathies to whoever has a problem with this - and I bet some computer tuning would be able to eliminate most all complaints like this.

Mike
"Grow Up? What For?

Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure evryone is running 2W-20 ONLY in their HEMI engines correct? Anything else can and will cause a hesitation in the MDS switching over from 4 to 8 cylinder mode.

Quick Reply: Hesitation in the Hemi