Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Hesitation in the Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 03:08 AM
schmisl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation in the Hemi

I have noticed a hesitation on my Magnum R/T when cruising down the road. It is more noticable in the 60 to 70 mph range, but happens at all speeds. It happens when in or out of cruise control. I find it hard to describe this "hesitation" but it feels as if the fuel cuts out for about a half a second or less. I have watched the rpm gauge and no change in rpms occur. The dealer here says it is happening when the MDS drops or regains the cylinders. I don't quite believe their explanation since it will happen numerous times on a flat stretch of road.
Has anyone out there encountered this situation?

Thanks,
Steven

Old 08-26-2004, 03:47 AM
rogersbw
Default RE: Hesitation in the Hemi

air conditioning compressor kicking on and off?

Old 08-26-2004, 04:28 AM
phantom505
Professional

I rarely notice it when the MDS kicks on and off, but you can sometimes. Particularly if you are going up/down a steep grade. My money is on the dealer being right.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:14 AM
schmisl

Rogersbw,

Air conditioning was not on.

Phantom505,

Does yours kick on and off during steady speeds on a flat stretch of road?

Old 08-26-2004, 07:25 AM
MagnumFreak
Rookie

You may also be feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking. This is normal and there is nothing they can do for it. The torque converter locks to increase fuel economy. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse take it in.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 AM
bfyost

I have had the exact same feeling in my RT. Took it back to the dealer and had a tech. ride with me. He said it felt like the torque converter locking and unlocking but he would do some checking on it. After three days at the dealership they told me Chrysler told them it could be one of two different pieces of the computer that was bad. They would replace one piece and if that didnt do it, they would replace the other. They got the part, put it in and called me "its fixed" they said. Went and picked it up and as soon as I drove off the lot it did it again. Went right back and left it with them again. 3 more days go by and they finally telll me Chrysler is telling them its a combination of the torque converter locking and unlocking and the MDS kicking in. Nothing they can do about it, thats just the way the car is. But it is exactly as schmisl described it, a hesitation that is very quick. I always feel it when starting up an incline in the road. And im not talkin about a downshift for going up a hill but just any slight incline in the grade of the road. Does it every time like clockwork, air cond. on or of, cruise on or off. Heck, you can even get it to do it if while crusing down the road you just ever so slightly give a little more throttle on the pedal. It has become very aggrivating. The dealer says that if enough people complain about it, Chrysler may release some new computer program that changes the way it does this. Im glad to see im not the only one though and my car is not a lemon.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:03 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

This annoying trait is one reason why I wish they would put in a light to indicate when you are on 4 or 8 cylinders. Better yet, install a switch in the dash where you can decide to select to run on 4 or 8 cylinders. That way you can choose to economy or power.

Sometimes you just want to putt around town and sometimes you just want to ZOOM!

Bob.........happy so far

Old 08-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Hemi RT
Professional

A switch....NOT A BAD IDEA......................HUH! Chrysler needs to read this forum. They will get ALL their bugs out of the car!

Old 08-26-2004, 09:00 PM
kra

Don't forget that the MDS can only work for six minutes at a time. The engine will revert back to 8 cylinder mode to maintain correct temperatures. Once the temperature requirement is met, the MDS will kick in again if driviing conditions merit.

kra

Old 08-27-2004, 01:31 AM
schmisl

Just an update,

I was out today on a flat stretch of road going 60mph. This thing hesitated twice for about a full second. I'm wondering if the dealer will seriouly look at the problem when I have to have it towed back for repairs?

Steven

Quick Reply: Hesitation in the Hemi