Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

SRT4 engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 PM
ahnospell44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT4 engine Swap

Hi Guys, Im looking for a toy car, I own a mustang already, and I just want another toy car on top of that one, except for better handling. But, I don't want to throw down 22,000 on a brand new SRT4. So here's my question, In any gen, 1rst or 2nd, how easy is it to just throw a new motor in it? I cant imagine that its that much work, and it should bolt directly up correct? any replys are welcome. Thanks

Old 07-29-2005, 02:58 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: SRT4 engine Swap

You can build a 2.0L motor and drop it right into any 1st or 2nd gen neon. Depending on wht you do I would beef up the axles and trans. If you go with a 2.4L (SRT-4) motor, you are gonna have some one off stuff and its gonna be some work, but it will be a screamer.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:09 PM
ahnospell44

Awsome! thanks! thats what I want, for it to scream in and out of corners and then distroy in straight aways...just kind of a cheap toy car cheap = under 30,000

Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM
MChat
Captain

I would just try to find a used SRT-4. (Try here: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)

An SRT-4 swap into a 1st Gen (95-99) Neon will be a chore. You'll have to fab your own engine mounts (they are not the same) and you'll need to use the SRT-4 wiring harness & computer (unless you plan on going with a stand alone EMS). A 2nd Gen (2000+) Neon may be a little easier, as I think it uses the same style engine mounts, however you'll still need the SRT-4 wiring harness and computer.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:13 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: MChat

I would just try to find a used SRT-4. (Try here: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)

An SRT-4 swap into a 1st Gen (95-99) Neon will be a chore. You'll have to fab your own engine mounts (they are not the same) and you'll need to use the SRT-4 wiring harness & computer (unless you plan on going with a stand alone EMS). A 2nd Gen (2000+) Neon may be a little easier, as I think it uses the same style engine mounts, however you'll still need the SRT-4 wiring harness and computer.

that is all true. However the benifit of a SRT-4 motor in a 1st gen is: 1- the 1st gen will be lighter than a srt. 2- It will be a sleeper. 3- insurance will be much higher for a newer car with a turbo than with an older one with a srt-4 motor ( your insurance is done by the vin #, not what is actually in the car. 4- Its always fun to do something that is a challange and different.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:08 AM
MChat
Captain

I can't argue with the lighter 1st Gen. A 1st gen w/ mild weight redux and a stock SRT-4 engine is a high 12 second car on slicks. I've been playing with the idea of dumping my 2.0L "All Motor" engine in favor of an SRT-4 engine in my 1st Gen... and I've done MASSIVE weight redux on it. I wouldn't run the stock turbo tho, probably another GT30 (like what is in my SRT-4) or a bit bigger (GT35) or even smaller (GT28). 400whp and a car that weighs 1800lbs with driver? That's chassis cert territory.

I guess it really all depends on the skills and/or pocket book of the person doing the swap.

Of course if you really want a challenge, you could do a V8 swap into a 1st gen like I'm helping my brother do... We're adding a frame & cage to a 1995 Neon, (Mustang II front suspension, 4 link rear, lengthening the wheelbase about 9") and then dropping in a 440. Stockish for now, but I'm trying to convince my brother to go with a Megasquirt so we can eventually put a turbo on it and shoot for the 8's .

Old 07-30-2005, 04:39 AM
casper
Legend

Of course if you really want a challenge, you could do a V8 swap into a 1st gen like I'm helping my brother do... We're adding a frame & cage to a 1995 Neon, (Mustang II front suspension, 4 link rear, lengthening the wheelbase about 9") and then dropping in a 440. Stockish for now, but I'm trying to convince my brother to go with a Megasquirt so we can eventually put a turbo on it and shoot for the 8's .
Now that how you do a motor swap!!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 04:45 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: casper

Now that how you do a motor swap!!!!
I'll have to agree lol. After all that you're just using the shell pretty much, it's no longer a neon lol.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:04 AM
adamcampbell

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this site. been here just wasnt a member, it seems like a great place (very knowledgeable ppl) and a bunch of family teaching and learning from each other. thats kool I just have a question that I couldnt find in the posts, ok I'm getting ready to do a srt4 swap into my 1st gen and I have an idea of everything I am going to need to complete the swap the only thing is the engine mounts.. will they have to be fabricated or can they be purchased from somewhere??? and just to doubl check I can still use my trans. with the new engine right? should have the same sensor plugs just cut-n-splice [:@] into the new harness/ well thanx alot any info would be nice

Old 11-14-2006, 09:23 PM
superstrat97
Rookie

go to barnes and nobles and ask for the neon performance builders handbook, it has some good info and sources in it, i even read over making an srt 2.o hybrid build using the bottom end from a dohc 2.0 and an srt top end...buy this book.....

Quick Reply: SRT4 engine Swap