Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:51 AM
gjax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!!!!!

Hi, I have a 2000 Dodge Neon ES and it is driving me BONKERS. I keep getting an error code of 1684. my check engine light isn't on any more but my car will start and when I shut it off it wont start again. what is going on?...my son just put in a new starter for me. sometimes it wont make a noise and other times it clicks like it wants to start...It only has 25,000 miles on it because I don't drive highways...maybe it is just falling apart on me...anyone have suggestions?

Old 12-22-2014, 04:41 PM
lcroadrunner
Default neon is jerky....

just added new tank of gas. neon engine started running jerky. when drive the car surges and then loses power than surges then loses power.

I added water remover and sea foam. ran on freeway. started doing same thing

Engine light came on.

Noticed when punched gas it made the jerking worse.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-23-2014, 07:13 AM
tired old man
Veteran

gjax,
With that old of a car you might take the battery to some place like Auto Zone and have them test it. Might just be a bad old battery.

lcroadrunner,

What year is your neon, when was the last time you changed the plugs or wires, you might just need a tune up which pretty much is new plugs and wires.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:46 AM
gjax

Originally Posted by tired old man
gjax,
With that old of a car you might take the battery to some place like Auto Zone and have them test it. Might just be a bad old battery.

lcroadrunner,

What year is your neon, when was the last time you changed the plugs or wires, you might just need a tune up which pretty much is new plugs and wires.

Thanks guys, I had everything checked out and all was fine I don't get it. since my son put in a new starter and I waited awhile it starts every time...shhhhhhhhhh knock on wood lol...lcroadrunner, it is a 2000 Neon

Old 12-26-2014, 03:53 PM
swede_x

Originally Posted by tired old man
gjax,

lcroadrunner,

The only thing I'd add to this is to double check the connections on the battery, starter and ground.

As far as icroadrunner, I was thinking the same thing. new plugs and wires would be my first suggestion.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 AM
gjax
Unhappy

Originally Posted by swede_x
The only thing I'd add to this is to double check the connections on the battery, starter and ground.

As far as icroadrunner, I was thinking the same thing. new plugs and wires would be my first suggestion.

Thanks guys. I brought it to my mechanic and he said everything was fine. BUT, that was after my son put in a new starter for me, since then it has been starting right up yay lol...the battery is fairly new I got it in 2011. my car is almost 15 years old with only 25,000 miles on it because I don't do highways, maybe that is my problem ugh

Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 AM
NeeNee
Default 2004 neon

I've had my car for about 3 month and there's been so many problems with but the machanic has fixed. he put a new computer in the he car. He told me that I needed to get it reset it... Does anyone know if I need to go to a dealer to reset it or can I just find someone else to do it for me?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
ZachMorales
Default Neon

Originally Posted by BlueThunder07
Hey, I have had a 2003 dodge neon sxt for about a month now. when i bought it everything was running fine. well a week ago. it started to shift wrong. i was scared that it was the transmission. well i looked under my hood and my front top motor mount was broke so i bought a new one and replaced it and it ran great. for twenty minutes, then i got under the car becuase there was a really bad rattling sound and sure enough my bottom motor mount was broke so i just fixed that yesterday. well its stilll doing it and when i stick on the E brake and stick it in drive there is a real weird rattling sound right next to my timing belt or what ever that belt is called. does anyone have an idea on what it might be...thank you
OK so I have a 2003 and a 2005, motor mounts, tie rods and ball joints are notorious hell parts that frequently are crap and need replacement, my engine jumps from 1st to 2nd, no transmission problem at all, changed spark plugs still doing it, it is just something you have to live with I guess.....

Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 PM
tired old man
Veteran

Blue thunder and Zach,
There is a third motor mount between the top and bottom. Its pretty hard to get out with the engine still in the car.

It can be done be you will probably have to have help and remove the timing belt cover then jack the engine way up and lower it way down to accomplish this.

Also your transmission mounts are probably bad too.

Fortunately for me have a good heavy duty floor jack and a decent cement driveway and a fairly complete toolbox of junk tools to do this kind of work with.

There are a lot of videos on youtube that show how to actually do these jobs.

The transmission and engine mounts are pretty cheap if you get them on eBay and not that bad if you go to a regular parts store like Autozone or something.

If your even reasonably adept with tools and have even a fairly decent place to do the work you can do this.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:37 PM
white2kneon
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all. I have a 2000 Neon with an accelerating problem. My issue is taking off from a stop I can barely give gas or it bogs down. I am litterly feathering the gas from a stop. If I keep the RPMs up the car will run well enough. When I come to a stop I need to take the car out of gear or the RPMs drop.

If I running too many things in the car like defrost or heater it gets worse.

Coil pack, plugs, wires have all been replaced. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems