Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.
View Poll Results: A poll
Eibach Pro kit
43.75%
Mopar Stage 1 springs
25.00%
Vogland
18.75%
Other
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:47 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs

I've been leaning on getting lowering springs for my car. Tell me what you guys think is the best. I want something that doesn't kill my stock struts and has great performance.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lowering Springs

i have heard great things about the mopar....i am getting a set of them for my car here shortly

Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Someone at modern performance told me they have discontinued them.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the dealership still sells mopar performance springs

Old 06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
das2123
Legend

Mopar High rates are GREAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
lblackneon
Champion

I'm kinda disappointed in the number of replies but whatever. Thanks to those who have replied.
I'm leaning towards the mopar springs b/c they are less harmful to the struts. The cheapest ones I've found were around 230. Do any of you know of a place any cheaper than that?

Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i went to the dealer the other day and they said that the mopar ones were discontinued...but they were able to find some dealers that had them in stock....65.00 for front and 65.00 for rear

Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 PM
lblackneon
Champion

65 dollars a piece right? I wonder why they discontinued them?

Old 07-07-2006, 07:10 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

WHOA!

You've got a 2nd gen, right? DO NOT put 1st gen Mopar springs on your car. The Mopar springs for 2nd gens are just stock 1st gen ACR springs. Yes, they will lower the car, but the spring rates are nothing impressive, 10 lbs/in higher in front than stock 1st gen Highline springs... No such thing as "High Rates" or X-High Rates" for the 2nd gens.

Eibach springs (Pro or Sport) are not performance springs. Yes, I speak from experience (although on a 1st gen). 2nd gens have a little more suspension travel, so the springs might actually compress enough to become stiffer than stock (which they did not on a 1st gen), but not before body roll becomes unacceptable.

If the Voglands are progressive rates, I'd put them in the same category as the Eibachs.

You want "great" performance without damaging the stock struts? Ain't gonna happen. You either have to ditch the stock struts, or live with the 1st gen ACR springs, which are mediocre at best.

Try hunting around salvage yards for 2nd gen ACR struts if you're on a serious budget. It's going to be a tough search though, as they were only made in 2001 and 2002.

If you want new, great handling, at a reasonable price (all things considered), then go to www.phantomhp.com and look at the K-Sport coilovers, should run $1000 or so for the entire set. That includes the struts (matched to the spring rates for long life), springs (smaller "coilover" style for wheel/tire clearance), adjustable ride height, adjustable compression/rebound (single ****), adjustable camber (new camber plates up top for the fronts) - a seriously competitive setup at a bargain price. Also keep in mind that these are going to be stiffer than any of the springs you mentioned by at least double. They'll compare to the Mopar coilovers, but won't need to be replaced the first time you hit a pothole, and at a fraction of the price. So like any suspension on the Neon, you will sacrifice ride quality for handling/performance. I haven't confirmed it yet, but it looks like they are Tokico struts modified by K-Sport to fit the Neon (one of the other neon sites mentioned it).

Unlike many things on the Neon that are relatively cheap and/or easy, the suspension has a pretty steep starting point for upgrades (performance upgrades, not bling upgrades). Take it from someone who has taken big financial/time losses by trying the cheap route many times over, you don't want to skimp on suspension (this includes wheels and tires) if you are serious about handling performance.

Best of luck!

Old 07-08-2006, 03:45 AM
ewetho
All Star

I just got m VOGTLAND Sport Springs and they rock. Just a bit firmer than stock and have no quirky unloading issues as they are a dual rate progressive spring and could not be happier. Gunter Engineering in full efect here.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs