Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Sparkplug holes still filling with oil........

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:32 PM
ncozzolino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparkplug holes still filling with oil........

after the new gaskets were installed. I don't get it. I've replaced the valve cover gasket and the sparkplug hole gaskets twice and the oil continues to get in and foul the plugs. Has this happened to anybody before???? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-2004, 02:16 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sparkplug holes still filling with oil........

The oil is getting in from under the spark plug tube, where it meets the head. The tubes can be replaced, but I don't think you can just reuse your current tubes. I had the same problem with my Neon, but got rid of it before I fixed the tube problem. Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:47 PM
NYG
Veteran

If the Plugs are getting fouled - that sounds like either a mixture problem or a valve problem - not a Rocker cover Gasket issue.

Are the plugs fouled or is there a resevoir of Oil building up where the Plugs are in the center of the Rocker Cover?

Greg

Old 10-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Robbiesan

I noticed this recently on my 97 DOHC Neon as well.. no oil on the plug or anything.. there is a pool of oil in the spark plug tube though..

any recommendations?

Old 10-09-2004, 01:13 AM
tyson724
Rookie

i replaced the valve cover seals and the oil leak stopped on my 2000 neon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4785/A7D8D6D0ECEB45A49C0A35D856D74DE1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Jeebuz

I was just about to make a new post about this when I found the forum. I just replaced the spark plugs in my 96 SOHC Neon, noticed that the plugs and tubes (more in 1 and 2 than the 3 and 4) had a bit of oil on/in them. 150k miles, not sure if the head gasket has been changed out, just wondering what all could cause this problem. Car is really not liking the winter and I'm not sure exactly what to do.

Also noticed that when my car idles for a while I get a noticeable amount of smoke from the exhaust, and there's been a few times when it's been really cold that I stalled out when I put the car in reverse from park.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:30 PM
NYG
Veteran

Your Head Gasket should be fine - Unless your engine is over heating or you are loosing compression.
Have you taken your Valve Cover off? The Valve Cover has a Gasket around each spark plug - I have heard a few people have issue with there leaking - I have not had that issue yet - however I have to rebuild my engine after about 8 to 12 good races and I replace my Valve Gaskets at the time of rebuilding.

Good Luck
Greg!

Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 PM
mprneon6148

i have had the same problem with a 2001 dodge neon, replace the spark plug tubes and the gasket it will fix the problem, it fixed mine. the tubes will actually come loose and start to move upward and oil seeps in btw the tube and the head. the contraction and expanding of the dissimliar metals are causing them to come loose.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Hava

Hi,

I had the same problem, and the guy at the shop told me I needed a new valve cover gasket. Today, my dad and I replaced it, and he was worried about the oil in the plug tubes. From looking at it, we coulnd't figure out how to get the tubes out without seriously crushing them from using vise grips.

How do they come out? Are there any more-detailed instructions on what needs to be done to repair the plug tube seals?

Thanks for any help,

Hava

Old 11-13-2005, 03:08 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Hopefully we're all talking about the SOHC... The DOHC setup is, um, different...

The tubes should come out with the valve cover, stuck inside the gasket around the holes on the underside. They are a little tight, but a little twisting with vice grips (I used pliers) and they should come right out. If they aren't loose, you can just use some loctite around the sealing points and be fine, no need to remove them in most cases. Don't remember how they sealed up at the bottom though... been a while.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Sparkplug holes still filling with oil........