Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM
plasterman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

Hi all,

It's time to get some bling on my 05 CTD I wanted to get a 2"lift in the front and an 1-1/2" blocks in the backtires and wheels and aftermarket bumpers. I went to my local trucks unique to get pricing and here's my questions.

1. I like BFG all terrains but I guess they don't come in a load range "E" They tell me that a toyo tire is the way to go. He called it a mudder tire. I asked him how much road noise do they have. He told me not much. Well BFG's have little to none. do you know what kind of tires have a good lookingtread, wear well and not to much road noise?

2. He also told me that a good size tire for this much lift would be a set of 295/70R17 On my old truck I had some 315/ somthings and the truck with a heavy load felt ugly because of side wall flex. Do you think a 295/ 70R17 will feel the same? Also will I have any tire rubbing with stock wheels?

3. They sell "Ranch Hand" bumpers that are heavy looking bumpers like I want, butI don't know that I like the look of them. They are not bad but I have seen some out there that look like you can bounce off trees all day but they look good too.

4. Also when I started all this I was thinking a 6" lift but he told me I could never haul my goose neck trailer again. I have seen trucks that have been lifted 6" and it didn't look that huge to me, but I also didn't look at thinking about a trailer.

4. Anything else you good people can keep me from doing wrong would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: tires

Have you checked with pro comp tires, somthing like x terrains. those are sweet. or the extreme all terrains. I like those a lot as well.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 AM
plasterman

oops..... Question 4. twice can't count can'tspell no wonder I am a plasterman!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:56 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

I have Pro Comp's on mine. I love them. With the stock Michelins I'd break the rear end loose any time I touched the pedal. These things stick well and sound great!! Just running around I get no noise from them. But if I want to spin them round they do well and sound wonderful!.

I'm running a 2 inch leveling kit with 35's. They are E rated; the only towing I've done w/ it so far was putting a 89 Ram Charger on a trailer to go to the shop for an engine rebuild. But they were perfect during the tow. No weeble or wobble anywhere. The lift is a bit stiff but for god's sake man it is a TRUCK!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/56970/DB9BE057C442449B886C29C039437346.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2007, 03:20 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

[IMG]local://upfiles/56970/DB9BE057C442449B886C29C039437346.jpg[/IMG]
'Em are some nice tires, I've been looking around. Won't need new ones for a while, but when I do I will probably look into these. What did they run you? Anyone know what the biggest size you can put on these truck with just a 2" leveling kit?

Old 06-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Bigriver

I wonder if changing up to a larger size hurts the fuel economy that much. On my last truck I had 285's repalcing 255's, I certainly rolled faster at a lower rpm. The speedo calibration was corrected with a function of the hypertech downloader. I have to think that the trucks from the factory are given the correct size tire for the best economy. Or could it just be an attempt to save money on cost building????
Regardless, the larger tires do look bad to the bone!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:51 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

I wonder if changing up to a larger size hurts the fuel economy that much
I dropped a bit but not that much.

As for the cost I hit up 4 Wheel Parts buy 3 get 1 free deal. So it didn't hurt to much. I still have got to add steps though. I'm a only 5'9" girl and to say the least it is a bit of a step.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Bigriver

Hey Lilfrogger, I've got the Mopar step bars on my 3500 4x4. I'm 6'1" and I enjoy the use of the steps along with the A pillar grab bar to elevate myself into the cab. When installing my gauges, I decided to mount them in a dash pod so that I could keep my grab handle. Sometimes practicality makes more sense to me.
When my stock tires wear out I will likely go with another set a bit larger. I like the Michelins due to their exceptional wear lifespan. Got to say though I like your thumbnail pic of your tire !!!! Got one of you in the pic??

Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 AM
moconst
Veteran

33/12.50.17 cooper stt and I do have the 2" level kit

Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 AM
finny
All Star

i just put 285/75's on my stock 01. there road king all terains. (knock offs of bfg all terains) but there cheaper. they are awsome tires if you arnt a hard core off roader

Quick Reply: tires