Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ouch.... a 07 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 11:26 PM
triton
|
Record Breaker
Default ouch.... a 07 blown motor

well dudes, I went and blew my motor. I went to ATL dragway Saturday just for fun. A couple runs down the track and I did very well. Ran a 14.0 at 94mph.

My third run at about the 1/8, a big bang. White smoke bellowing out. I couldn't see a thing behind me.

I rolled across the finish line under no power. get to the end and the track crew is yelling at me to shut it down ! They thought I was on fire. The fire truck, ambulance and every 4 wheels on the track was there in a heart beat.

pop the hood and it looked like oil bomb went off. literally everything in there was covered with oil. My first thought was that I just blew the turbo.... not a big deal.

Got the truck towed back to my shop and started in on it Monday. I had a new ATS manifold that was waiting on the new turbo I ordered. In hoping I just blew the turbo I took it out and my stock manifold.

Unfortunately, when I got the manifold off, there was oil in # 4 & # 5 exhaust ports. Still with the optimisum, I was hoping that was just blow back from the turbo. I cranked it up without the manifold on and the oil continued to come out.

Still being optimistic, I went ahead and installed the new turbo and manifold. With my fingers crossed I cranked it up. It ran but, with a very rough idle. Oil again began to pour out of the exhaust. Not a good sign.

So, today i removed my injectors and found this on #4..............

I'm going to pull the head tomorrow but, I'm pretty sure I have a hole in #4 piston. The amount of oil in the exhaust is almost a dead give away.

Yeah this sucks but, I played and was prepared for the consequences. Just not to this extreme. I thought these motors could handle a lot more than I gave it.

I was running my Smarty on beta 4.3 #7 and the TST on 2/0. Apparently, the stock turbo just couldn't handle the heat and not only smoked the exhaust side of the turbo but, seems to have fried a piston too.

When I get in there tomorrow, I do hope to find it's repairable but, my hopes aren't high. All the signs lead to a blown motor.

In looking into what can be done, I've found a new 5.9L 325hp motor will be cheaper than repairing the one I have. So, if I have to get a crate motor... it's gonna be built to the hilt with performance parts in hopes of avoiding this problem again at the track.
[align=center]
[/align]

Old 06-13-2007 | 11:31 PM
speakle
All Star
Default RE: ouch.... a 07 blown motor

I have been watching your thread over at dtr, sorry to hear it.

Old 06-13-2007 | 11:32 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

That really sucks. Your picture did not post as you had too many http in the address so it is posted below.

Old 06-13-2007 | 11:47 PM
Drew
Professional

I'll bet you 1, have a hole in #4, burned valves in #4, droped a valve seat in #4. I would also say if you have this type of dammage in #4, then youve got some issues in holes #5 and #6.

these engines are destructable, it takes alot to get there, and I'll also say if you had that larger turbo on there you might have been ok.

Old 06-13-2007 | 11:58 PM
Watermelon
Captain

DANG-IT MAN!! that really has to bite hard. send more pics

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:03 AM
triton
|
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Drew

I'll bet you 1, have a hole in #4, burned valves in #4, droped a valve seat in #4. I would also say if you have this type of dammage in #4, then youve got some issues in holes #5 and #6.

these engines are destructable, it takes alot to get there, and I'll also say if you had that larger turbo on there you might have been ok.
You're probably right Drew. I did see oil in 5 & 6 ports when I had the manifold off. When I cranked it though, the oil only came from #4.

The bigger turbo would have made all the difference but, I've ran the truck on those setting in my neighborhood without a problem. Can't say that I went a whole 1/4 at WOT.... almost though.

You'd think it would take a lot more to detruct these motors. My hp is mild compared to many and I know many still have stock turbos.

I never thought I would do damage to this extent just because of the turbo. I figured I'd blow the turbo.

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:14 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Is that build up on the injector tip carbon or the metal from the hole in your piston? Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it's easier to fix than you anticipate.

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:14 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

What was your EGT toward the finish line? Had to be well over 1,500*?

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:27 AM
triton
|
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

What was your EGT toward the finish line? Had to be well over 1,500*?
Nick ... I believe it's melted piston or valve. I scraped it off and as hard as it was, I don't think it was burnt oil.

My EGT's were at 1600 by the 1/8. I stayed in it for a couple seconds and by 3/4 of the way I let out of it and rolled across the finish.

One time doing that might have be alright. By the third pass though... bad things were happening.

Old 06-14-2007 | 12:35 AM
sharx ram
Champion

Damn brotha, that sucks...I feel for you...your grounded, give me your keys until you are responsable enough to have it back!....Im just trying to lighten the mood brotha, that hurts and it feels like you ripped my heart out when I read it, Go easy on her when you get her put back together.

Quick Reply: ouch.... a 07 blown motor