Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Door Ding

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ding

Words cannot express how irritated I am right now. I barely got the temp tags off my truck and I recently just passed having 2000 miles on the odometer. Anyway, I was at a friends house admiring my truck when I noticed, you guessed it -- a door ding on the front right fender. I had a feeling this was going to happen. This is why I am extremely selective on where I park. At work, I park in the empty parking lot across the street. At stores, I park as far out as possible next to the curb. If I know I'm going to a place where I know I'll have to park close to other cars, I won't bring the truck.

I still couldn't avoid it, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen with the first 3 months of owning the vehicle. Ugh. Anyway, the ding is about the size of a dime and no paint was scratched or taken off. The dent looks similar to one that would be caused by hail damage. Can something like this be repaired? If so, would it even be worth it. Another option would be to slide the Cummins Turbo Diesel badge over so that it covers the dent.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Default RE: Door Ding

sorry to hear that but im sure you can repair that, just hit it hard with a claw hammer and bring it in the shop to have the whole panel replaced! on a serious note i know nothing about dings but i figured i would throw you my $.02. thats the worse when you get a new vehicle. when i had my last truck i got in my first and only accident a week after i brought the truck home and it costed me $2100 because i paid cash for my repairs and the other guys so i dident have to claim it. sh*t happens!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 PM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: nickcoletti
sorry to hear that but im sure you can repair that, just hit it hard with a claw hammer and bring it in the shop to have the whole panel replaced!
The thought had crossed my mind. The entire time I drove home, I was hoping someone would hit the right front panel so that I could have it replaced entirely.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:09 PM
al5608
Professional

That sucks. Call a good Paintless dent repair company. They can take out that dent, and if there good. Even you, knowing where the dent was, will never be able to see it. Don't repaint the panel because of a little door ding.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 PM
moconst
Veteran

its good to get the first one out of the way, helps ya relax a little

Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I have heard of using dry ice to get hail damage out maybe someone on here knows more about it.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I barely got the temp tags off my truck and I recently just passed having 2000 miles on the odometer
At least you got the temp tags off!! I had 684 miles on mine when a girl cut across 3 lanes and turned in front of me! Bright side is I drove mine away, hers left on a tow truck.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:38 AM
speakle
All Star

I agree with al on this, paintless dent removal is the way to go. Most of these guys really know what they are doing and can get you back to normal for less than $100 sometimes. Only thing is they need access to the back side of the ding to get back out, I had one on my bed above the wheel and its a double wall so most couldnt do it. I never did get it fixed but I traded that one in today anyway. Whatever you do please dont take a claw hammer to it!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

It's Hammer Time

Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: moconst

its good to get the first one out of the way, helps ya relax a little
I agree

Unless you live on some remote island somewhere by yourself, your GOING to get dings and scratches. It's just the way things go. My grandfather actually had a friend who'd purposely back into a pole ( lightly ) after buying a new car while still at the dealers just to get it over with. LOL !!!

Guy's who live in the sticks accent their trucks with brush scars, in the city it's dings. Either way, it's life. Now that you've got it out of the way you can relax a little more and ENJOY the truck !!

Quick Reply: Door Ding