Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Suspension update...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Suspension update...

Well my wife & I just got back from camping up in the sierra's, headed back to White Rock lake (spur off of the Aug 4th run) and for the most partgoing in was a 20~25 mph run. Once we turned in, we missed our 2nd turn and ended up close to Fordyce lake (the snow day lake with Mean Green) and realized we missed out turn... man a GPS would have helped there for sure. So we doubled back and found our 2nd turn and headed down the road. the road was a bit more choppier than the road in so I moved my mirrors down to see the rear end in action and I could not believe how much movement there was... I'd say about 15~20% of which was getting up to the truck, the rest was being soaked up by the mini-leaf packs & shocks.

Once we made it to the lake, we headed down to the main camping area and found it almost full... 2 sites left open, neither of which were that good IMO... so we turned around and headed back out to go scope out the other side of the lake. On the way out I found my 33's are a tad too short to clear 2 rocks that formed a V that happened to be parallel to my rear diff... thinking I was far enough to one side I'd clear them, sure enough, I was wrong... scrape, plop... spin... and spin... crap. stuck. the rear diff dropped right down into the V...fronts didnt have enough bite to pull it out so I hoped out, found a couple of sloped rocks, wedged them in front of the rear tires and gave it another shot... pop, out it came w/o hesitation. anyways, we headed over to the other side and damn was it narrow getting thru there. 2 spots in perticular are worth mentioning... 1st having to do a 2~3 point turn to go around the corner, everyone had to do this as it was just too sharp of a corner to do in one shot. the 2nd was a fairly steep drop around a corner down to the lake level, then thru some dips that were about 20~24" deep. thought for sure I'd bottom out on them but made it w/o any problems.

Once down at the lake level there was an entrance right onto the shoreline, took it of course and found a nice place to park it for the night. the next day I heard 3~4 people heading up the short steep drop we encountered into the lake area and all of them were sliding & digging pretty good. of the 4 I noticed, 3 of them were modded 4x4's, the 4th, I didnt really see. On our way out I figured I'd have a smiliar exit since we weigh in the 7800 range with all the gear & dog... well, again, the pro comp xtremes put a big *** smile on my face as we never broke traction once climbing out. keep in mind we're not talking about some long straight stretch or anything like that, this is a tight turn up hill in dirt that goes puff when you step on it, loose rocks in there as well. I've been up steeper but hard packed.

Louie had a blast... swimming @ will, running free day & night, making an exit out of the tent at 3am to take a leak yeah, he ran right over me. the little woman & I spent all of yesterday doing almost nothing all day... me fishing & hiking around the lake & her reading & napping all day (she loved it and needed it).

anyways, just thought i'd share... if anyone wants to see pics of the lake, I can post a couple tomorrow. didnt take any of the trail out, didnt even think about it [:@]

Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 AM
kerstenp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suspension update...

Can't wait to see some pics. Glad to hear the ProComps did their job. I guess you could have used a HiLift jack?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

naa, we were stuck for about2 minutes total... half of which was finding the right rocks. once I had traction on them it popped right out.

pics later this morning...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm sure you have PLENTY of Louis !!!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to find some place like that around here to take Mini Me. . .

Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
finny
All Star

so the mini leafs worked good. i was maybe lookin at them but thought it wasnt worth it.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Weekend Pics...

Ducks... 3/4 the way across the lake... 200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter. No auto focus

fisherman... not a happy camper! other campers called him a grumpy old man.

Who's stick is it???

Steve, you only think this chair is yours...!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: finny

so the mini leafs worked good. i was maybe lookin at them but thought it wasnt worth it.
well worth it! I couldnt believe how much the rear was working. the front did really well as well, I assume it was working as hard as the rear. I think if I had a quick disconnect on the swaybar it would be a sweet ride on the trials I run... hummm... maybe I can get the wifey & son to go more often???

Old 07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Those green chairs are awesome aren't they? I just picked 2 up a couple of months ago and I love em. Unfortunately one of the RATS put it too close to the fire and an ember burned a hole in it. [:@]

Oh well .... at least I know which one is mine !!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I absolutely love it! My kids asked me what i wanted for fathers day and I told them one of those chairs... since 2 of them live in WA, they sent me a gift cert... giving me the opportunity to pick my color. this was the last green one they had. all of the others were pukey looking.

Quick Reply: Suspension update...