Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Valve adjustment DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Super Dave
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Valve adjustment DIY

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

Re-usable gasket, It's pretty durable, as long as you don't use a screw driver to pry the valve cover up.
On mine, the spring in the cover pushedthe coverup. It wasn't stuck down and I still have no leaks at all. Just don't damage the gasket, I hear it's expensive to replace.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

how much diff is it on the 2nd gen? also what if u dont have an air compressoir...do u just tighten everything till its tight because cant really measure the lbs...

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

The 24V engines should be very similar. I never done one though, but the steps will be the same. The tolerances may vary.
I'm a little lost on you air compressor question. The only thing I used the air for was to blow the dirt off the engine. Are you talking about where I say to torque to 18 ft lbs?
That requires a torque wrench, but if you don't have one, good and tight with a regular 3/8" drive ratchetshould get you close, but when working on engine internals, a torque wrench is by far the best way to go.
Think of it this way, a dealer would charge you $120 to adjust the valves. If you spend $60 on a torque wrench from Sears and do the job yourself, you will still save 60 bones and you'll have the wrench for next time

Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Pretty much the same but you have to take the breather off the front cover to see #1tdcc. Same specs too on lash and torques.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Speaking of tourque wrenches, here's a stupid question ....

If I have a 1/2" torque wrench and you use a 1/2"- 3/8" adapter to use a 3/8" socket and you set the wrench at 20 lbs, will it be accurate, or do you need to use a 1/2" socket?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are wanting true torque. . .the answer is no. . .it will be low as in if you set it for 20lbs, you may only get 18 due to give in the adapter.

however for this application. . .your ok, it's only when your working with aircraft does it get funny[:'(]

Old 08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Methos
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Drew

ok, it's only when your working with aircraft does it get funny[:'(]
Drew,
This comment confused me a little. Are you just implying that aircraft have less tolerance to a minor variance than autos? Just wondering.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

When you start using crow's feet, and adapters that effectively make the torqure wrench longer or shorter, then you have to recalculate your wrench settings.
This pageshows youwhat I'm talking about.
http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...e_wrench_1.htm
In this example the wrench has effectively been lengthened 1.5". To put 135 in. lbs of torque on the bolt, you would set the wrench to 117 in. lbs.

Clear as mud
Trust me, there are entire technical mauals dedicated to the use and care of torque wrenches used on aircraft

Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I figured as much

The only reason I ask is because I have a 1/2" wrench that I got from Harbor Freight ( someone "borrowed" my Craftsman ). I used it a couple of times with an adapter and it just felt like it was makeing things too tight. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the wrench, I dunno, but that's why I asked.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Your using harbor frieght torque wrench and your worried that an adapter will make it inaccurate[&:]. Just teasing ya a little mayfair

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment DIY