Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fabricating cold air intake inlet

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM
CUMMINZ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabricating cold air intake inlet

I started today to modify my factory clean air intake box to provide cooler air and also to provide additional air.

Now that I have it back together I can fabricate a flexable hose to mount to the bottom of the box that will protrude 20"s straight down toward the bottom of the truck where it will pickup cooler outside air. Air off the hot pavement will be cooler than engine compartment air. Once I get this hose fabricated I will update the post to show contents.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM
blondeguy08
Professional
Default RE: Fabricating cold air intake inlet

nice..... im doing something similar......

Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now that is a hole saw

Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM
sallyman1
Captain

would this be as good as buying that amsoil filter thingy?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 PM
CUMMINZ
Rookie

The 5" hole I cut in my air box is a perfect match for a piece of 4" corrigated pipe. I cut it 21"s long. Photos show how it fitup. I drilled one small home in bottom of box and top side of pipe and used plastic zip tie then corked (ha) around the top. I cut bottom of pipe to face forward. Is about 3"s above the bottom of the bumper.
I plan to install Cool Blue Hose when my friends at Diesel Power Products get their supply in.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: CUMMINZ

The 5" hole I cut in my air box is a perfect match for a piece of 4" corrigated pipe. I cut it 21"s long. Photos show how it fitup. I drilled one small home in bottom of box and top side of pipe and used plastic zip tie then corked (ha) around the top. I cut bottom of pipe to face forward. Is about 3"s above the bottom of the bumper.
I plan to install Cool Blue Hose when my friends at Diesel Power Products get their supply in.

Did you notice any difference when you did this?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

My only concern about doing a mod like that is, anything that thing sucks up is going straight to the filter. I would worry about water and sharp objects going through the filter. The factory set up will cause a solid object to first hit the side wall ( losing energy) before hitting the filter. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would like to know how your filter holds up over the long run.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 PM
millertime

i did almost the same thing except i cut the front of the box so air comes in from the grill.. kinda like a ram air set up the only thing i noticed is the turbo got a little louder.. `the best bet is to go with a upgraded air filter and tube

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
bert0168
Professional

I made almost the exact same mod to my airbox. I used a square landscape drain fitting minus the grate for the attachment to the 4" tube. I also didn't cover the side opening in the box. I havent sucked up anything thru the 4" tube but I also didn't see much difference in performance[:@]and have run both a K&N filter and stock (currently in)

Good thing it was only a $10mod. that took 30 min to do.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

My only concern about doing a mod like that is, anything that thing sucks up is going straight to the filter. I would worry about water and sharp objects going through the filter. The factory set up will cause a solid object to first hit the side wall ( losing energy) before hitting the filter. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would like to know how your filter holds up over the long run.
I dont think it would be possible to suck water up the hole...I dont think the truck could suck enough air to lift water that distance through a hole that big. Rain and snow I think would have a tendency to fall out at a certain point just from gravity, and if you got deep enough in water to block the bottom of the hole, the thing would still be sucking air through the hole in the side.
As far as sharp objects go, well again, I dont think the thing could suck hard enough to create enough suction through the 4"tubing to create enough of a vaccuum to actually lift something of substance up to the filter.
I could be completely wrong on this, but it would take a HUGE amount of suction through a hole that big, and as much as it would probably be cool, I dont think our trucks can move THAT much air. I would bet that the amount ofvaccuum is less than 1psi.

Quick Reply: Fabricating cold air intake inlet