Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Change based on hours vrs Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM
lesimon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change based on hours vrs Mileage

Hey everyone I have been contemplating doing my oil changes based on hours instead of the old mileage routine. I am hoping that others will voice there opinions so that I can consider all aspects, perhaps I have over looked something.
I like the hour meter as it includes idle time and cool down time. I have also sceduled industrial equipment oil changes based on 200-250 hours accompanied with an oil analysis. This is a standard practise that has had excellant results in industry.
Previously I have done all oil changes on my personal vehicles every 3,000 miles religiously. I feel that this may be complete overkill from the data that I have recently collected.
1897 miles @ 88 hrs
1363 miles @ 76 hrs
1769 miles @ 97 hrs
3275 miles @ 94 hrs
4792 miles @ 136 hrs
I have also been collecting oil analysis samples to ensure that I have adequate data and testing to not void the manufacturers warranty . Thank you for any and all input .

Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker
Default RE: Oil Change based on hours vrs Mileage

I know a guy that trades his truck in every year, They have about 65000 to 75000 when he trades them in and he changes the oil once per truck.
I wouldn't recommend that.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
gvanhyning

I installed the AMSOil BMK By-Pass Oil Filter on my RAM 3500 and useAMSOil premium diesel oil and their filters. Under normal operating conditions the EOA filter is good for 25,000 miles and 15,000 miles under severe conditions. The oil should be good for 15,000 miles or one year. I would urge you to go to www.amsoil.com and check out their merchandise. Additionally, you can sign up as a preferred customer, it's $10 for six months and you can purchase everything at dealer cost. They also offer oil analysis kits. I live in Colorado and the stuff I order online is shipped from Kansas and it's never taken more than three days to receive via UPS ground.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOF services on most diesels are usualy done by running hours. . .however the main difference is most of these diesels run at a constant RPM.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

3000 mile oil changes are a bunch of marketing crap from the oil industry and quick lube places. I run Amsoil and change the filter every 7500 and oil every 15000. I have gone as far as 30,000 on an oil change with analysis every 7500.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM
KillerCummins
Professional

Sorry, this is one of those dumb questions, but how do you get your hours? I've tried the thing where you hold down the button when it is showing your miles and it doesn't work. Is it because my truck is an '06 or am I not doing it right? Thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Kyle2002

4 me its like every 5,000 miles before I could get an oil change. I had a life-time membership for oil change on my 2006 dually F350.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins

Sorry, this is one of those dumb questions, but how do you get your hours? I've tried the thing where you hold down the button when it is showing your miles and it doesn't work. Is it because my truck is an '06 or am I not doing it right? Thanks
yea, your just not doing it right. . .whith the key to run(engine not running) andthe odo. is in mileage mode and not trip mode, push and hold the button till your hrs come up. . .it does take a bit but it will come up.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Ok , I had the engine running the first couple times, then the engine off the last couple times. Key on, got it, why didn't I think of that??? Thanks Drew

Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some quick thoughts:

The most common oil change recommendation is 500 hours for mining/construction diesel powered equipment.

In the 1980s oil analysis began showing up, and Catepillar and the EMD division of GM (locomotives) embraced it strongly, and began telling customers that it was better to spend the money on oil analysis and change the oil only when the oil analysis said too. The idea was that although the oil analysis cost considerable money, this money spent would be more than off-set by reduced oil & filter costs...and most importantly....spotting conditions that would cause engine failure early.

This made sense because even a rebuilt engine for a Cat 992 front end loader cost $27,000 back then and the EMD diesel in a GM locomotive was anywhere from $35,000 to $60,000.

Most oil filters are no where near having 10 psi of differential pressure across them when they are changed. They could be used for 2-3 times more hours safely...and these in-use filters are actually filtering better than a new filter because their larger pores have been blocked and they are now filtering finer particles more effectively. Of course, this depends on the condition the engine is operating in...but the oil analysis also will tell you if the oil has a high silica content indicating dirt.

The best use of money is probably to:
use conventional oil,
change the oil only when the oil analysis says the TBN level is down to minimum or some other component is out of range,
and
leave a 'best quality and longest length' oil filter on for 2-3 oil changes or until the oil psi at startup approaches 10 psi more than it did when the oil was brand new.

Cummins has its own filter division that used to be called Fleetguard, and is now called 'Cummins Filtration'.
Fleetguard claims that its whole reason for being is to produce the finest filters for Cummins engines possible, and they don't try to compete on price.

Sometime between 1996-1998 I heard a good talk by the Duke U PhD engineer who was the vice-pres of Cummins for the Fleetguard division. Cummins has a factory and dyno testing unit near Duke U and several Duke grads, including some working on the dyno testing attended the talk. After the talk over drinks the Fleetguard guy said that everyone could afford a Fleetguard filter if they just left it on longer to pay for itself, and as he said this the Cummins employees were nodding their heads in agreement.

Funny side story: The very first question the Cummins vice president got from students after the end of his talk was:
"Is it true that a Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine can get as much as 30 MPG?"

The Fleetguard head said that was not his area...but that a bunch of his employees did indeed have Cummins Rams and they reported great MPG.

The student then replied:

"Well me and several others here are on the SAE racecar construction team here at Duke, and GM gave us one of their diesel 2500 pickups to haul the trailer and it never gets more than 18 MPG, even with nothing in it.
{at the time Rick Wagoner, a Duke grad had just been made head of GM-North America and another Duke grad, GM Chief of Engineering Gary Dowell had lavished support money and used equipment gifts on the student groups}

The student then said:
"I am thinking about buying a new pickup when I graduate this spring.
If I buy a Cummins Ram and it doesn't get 30 MPG
will you give me my money back?"

The Fleetguard chief replied:
"Oh, way better than that....I will send you a free Fleetguard filter !"

This got a good laugh from the crowd.

You can read Cummins' official position on lubrication on page 12 of this weblink:

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...Whitepaper.pdf

Quick Reply: Oil Change based on hours vrs Mileage