Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

Aluminum sided units are going to be lighter.. thats really their only advantage over fiberglass.. they get hail damage and dents very easy.. insurance companies hate them..

Really?
I would think the opposite. If you look at the two listings thatI have above, the fiberglass sided one weighs 7000lbs whereas the aluminum sided one weights 4400 lbs. They're both the same lenght and from the same manufacturer.I thought it was a missprint, I guess not. A 2600lb difference though is pretty big.

If a fiberglass unit gets any leaks it can cause "delam" where the fiberglass delaminates from the frame causing bubbles that look bad.. it's not very cost effective to fix it either..

I'm familiar with delamination from boats. How common is it in trailers? I wasn't aware that the sides actually were fiberglass.I was only assuming.

Another thing to look for is a rubber roof with some kind of pitch or arch to it.. that first CoachmenI bought had a flat sheet metal roof.. and I think that contributed to it leaking...it was also noisier when it rained.

Can't a sheet metal roof be covered with a rubber roof as well? How about keeping the trailer covered, is that a good idea? I know it's shunned upon when it comes to cars.

Hope any of this info can help..

It does, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks !!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: GlenninTexas

Hey behindbars,

If you haven't already done so, check out www.Outbackers.com.

3rd Annual Northeast Outbacker's Pig Roast Rally
Sept 26-28th 2008
Spring Gulch Campground New Holland (Lancaster) PA

Whoa, I've actually stayed there. As a matter of fact, some of the pics that I have posted above were taken there

Mayfair,

You can also get a toyhauler in the travel trailer style, e.g. bumper pull. There are a huge number of brasnds and configurations out there, all with loyal followers so naming bad ones here would just start a war as big as the Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy battles.
Your best bet is to go to a RV show where you can look over a variety of campers. Definitely choose the smooth sided fiberglass over the aluminum paneled, much easier to maintain.
And definitely consider the Outback line.
Regards, Glenn

I'm familiar with the toyhauler lines. I was kinda partial to one line in particular Forrest River i think it was. They look like converted Haulmark trailers and look VERY sturdy !!

Thanks for the input on the fiberglass trailers. I honestly had ruled them out only becauseI thought they were cheaply made compared to the aluminum sided ones. Thanks again for all of your inpt guy's !!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: GlenninTexas

Hey behindbars,

If you haven't already done so, check out www.Outbackers.com.
Thanks. Never seen it before looks neat.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

"fiberglass sided one weighs 7000lbs whereas the aluminum sided one weights 4400 lbs."

Yep..thats whatI was saying.. aluminum is going to be lighter.. all things equal..

7000lbs and 4400lbs is a big difference though... there has to be other differences such as a slide or framing.. I have heard some negative things about aluminum framing.. it is lighter but if used in cold climates it causes condensation to build up.. aluminum transfers temperature but wood is an insulator..

I've seen some really nice toy hauler travel trailers soI know they are out there..and a lot of them come with generators...... I'm not sure what a Harley weighs.. butI bet a 2500 could easily handle the hitch weight plus the harley in the back.. if you have an qualizer hitch..

delam can happen even on new trailers.. my bro-in-law has a 2005 with some delam around a window.. he doesn't seem to be too worried about it.. id' imagine it has a leak

I thinkthere'd be no problemcoating a sheet metal roof with rubber roof coating.. I think you can even buy the stuff at wal-mart pretty cheap.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Come on.... Buy a dodge travel trailer.... you can share matching logos!!... hehe
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/b...trailer/dodge/

Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Mayfair
Legend

pfft .... I'd beall over this one if it was about 10K less than what they're asking

Here's an idea ....

Why don't YOU buy it, use it for 2 years, and THEN I'll buy it from you for 7K?

Sound good?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

What are they asking? i did'nt even see the price... it said call......

Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Well, I'm assuming it's close to the 17K that they want for the others. I'm looking to stay closer to the 5-7K range.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:53 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Well... I searched it out... to a place in Dallas that has one just like it... they are askin about 24,000..... I then found a payment calculater and if i did it right... It came to be about 215 bucks a month.... But thats if I did it right....that was also at 15 years....

Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I can't even fathom having a payment of any kind for 15 years !! I'm old school .... CASH is king !!

Quick Reply: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??