Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007 | 02:27 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Default RE: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

JDH - That is very similar to what I have right now with the exception of the much needed bathroom. Unfortunately I need a little more room as I'm hopeing to be able to have a place for the RATS to sleep so that I don't hafta set up tent city every time we go camping

Riv - I'm sure there are deals in Indianna to be had, however because I'm not looking to finance anything right now. Especially with teh way the economy is these days. Besides that, I'm really only able to camp on the weekends. I'm not able to take these monster trips that you guy's have the time for.

Glenn - I hear ya about the fiberglass and thanks for shedding some more light on it. Unfortunately I still don't know which one is better for me, or if it even matters.

Old 10-18-2007 | 02:43 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

mayf.. here's something else to think about..

that first camper i bought brand new.. i paid $9,700 for it..1 year later it got hail damage on two sides.. and insurance paid me $4,500 to have it re-skinned... the hail didn't do any structural damage.. so i just put the money on my loan.. which alowed me to pay it off in 3 years.. after owning it 4 years i sold it to a friend at the 'friend' price of $4,500.. so basically i owned that camper without any depreciation.. so there can be a plus to owning one with aluminum siding.. i might add that you had to look close to even see the hail damage it had..

aluminum is cheaper, lighter.. and has served it's purpose for many years.. so don't be scared away from it.. campers are like pickups.. most of us have owned half ton gasers before we moved up to the king CTD.. you'll outgrow your first one and want a bigger one ina few years.. buying used lets someone else take the depreciation hit..

still wishing ya good luck in your search

Old 10-18-2007 | 11:37 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I would say to stay away from forest river because my brother in law had to have several converters replaced in his sierra but I had one replaced in my keystone a couple months ago so I guess they all have their problems. btw I don't have any trouble pulling my bumper pull but I never pulled a fiver either.

Old 10-18-2007 | 11:57 PM
Bigriver

I love to tow mine,..............first because it feels like a very stable platform, and second, it means I'm gettin the hell out of town .......................yahoo !

Old 10-19-2007 | 12:03 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I started to go with a fiver but I really meed my bed. I like the way your truck and trailer look. Here's mine.

Old 10-19-2007 | 12:04 AM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Hey 2fer,

I went to one of those forums that you mentioned and they seem to be pretty down on Coachmans. Any idea why ( kinda slow over there - still no response )

Is there another brand that I should be looking at instead?

Old 10-19-2007 | 06:56 AM
Bigriver

Mayfair, If your not considering a model with slide-outs, what do you think of an Airstream? They may be a bit pricey, but thaey have a heck of a reputation, and you can get that retro look going........just found this, again a bit pricey........http://rvtrader.com/rvdetail1977187.htm

Old 10-19-2007 | 08:45 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

man that is a slick looking rig and camper!

Old 10-19-2007 | 11:22 AM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Riv, that IS a cool looking camper. My parents actually have an Airstream. That trailer actually looks like thier old one.

As much as I dig the Airstream, I'm really not looking to spend that much money on a camper. I'm only able to go camping on the weekends. Someday when I'm able to retire and see the world like you and Steve I'll get something a little more heavy duty, but for now I'm just looking for something somewhat inexpensive to serve the purpose.

Old 10-19-2007 | 12:04 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Hey 2fer,

I went to one of those forums that you mentioned and they seem to be pretty down on Coachmans. Any idea why ( kinda slow over there - still no response )

Is there another brand that I should be looking at instead?
Coachmans are kind of a low end "entry-level" trailer, not that they dont serve their purpose, they are just not the same quality as some other stuff out there.
all the manufacturers have their low-end stuff, and stuff that is better. Do your research well, and get it checked out before you buy it, a little money spent ahead of time could save you a ton later on.

Quick Reply: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??